You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Politics

Boss

When gerrymandering isn't enough:

What would have previously been brushed off as a fringe proposition to add the predominantly Republican region of eastern Oregon into conservative Idaho has lunged forward in the Idaho state legislature. There have been plenty of other attempts across the country to break off pieces of states to try to join more politically analogous ones, but this one has advanced the furthest. The measure passed the state House last month and advanced to the state Senate, where it sits in committee, with the session expected to wrap by the end of March.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/oregon-secession-idaho-partisan-divides/index.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2020 at 20:03, TheHowieLama said:

Still boggles the mind how Clarence Thomas got through.

IN LATE JUNE 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too.

For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year from the Dallas businessman without disclosing them, documents and interviews show. A public servant who has a salary of $285,000, he has vacationed on Crow’s superyacht around the globe. He flies on Crow’s private jet. He has gone with Crow to the Bohemian Grove, the exclusive California all-male retreat, and to Crow’s sprawling ranch in East Texas. And Thomas typically spends about a week every summer at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks.

The extent and frequency of Crow’s apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court.

How it should be decided

Dice roll settles tie in small Wisconsin town election - BBC News

An election in a small Wisconsin town came down to a literal roll of the dice.

After Rob Zoschke and Nate Bell received 256 votes each to be the Sister Bay Village Board president, the race went to a tiebreaker.

Village clerk Heidi Teich told the candidates the election will be settled via a game of chance as per the state election code.

The dice rolled 6-2 in Mr Bell's favour knocking out incumbent Mr Zoschke.

"It's drawn a lot of interest because it's such an unusual thing," Ms Teich told the BBC. "For it to be settled with a children's game is kind of unique."

After voting ended, the village clerk sent an image of the final tally to both candidates.

"Am I seeing this right?," Mr Bell remembers thinking upon seeing the 256-256 count.

A dice roll was but one of the options a three-member board of canvassers considered.

Pulling names from a hat, cutting a deck of cards, drawing straws, or flipping a coin were among the other possibilities.

But the canvassers ultimately decided a dice roll was the fairest method.

"They felt that if you flip a coin and a candidate calls one side, the other candidate has no option but to take the other side," Ms Teich said. "In a dice roll, both get to participate in some manner."

Neither candidate was able to attend the roll in person, so two canvassers rolled in their stead. Mr Zoschke watched the odd event via Zoom.

Half a dozen supporters reached out to Mr Zoschke lamenting the loss. One regretted that their teenage daughter was unable to cast a ballot due to an out-of-town doctor's appointment. Another could not get off work before the polls closed.

"But I have to believe my opponent received the same calls," Mr Zoschke said in his friendly Wisconsin accent.

He said he had no antipathy toward the process. He did, however, note that 78 voters curiously chose not to select either candidate.

Mr Zoschke has no intention of asking for a recount.

"I don't get hung up on a vote here or a vote there because there were still 256 people that voted for the other guy," he said. "I'm at peace."

Mr Bell asked to keep the dice as a souvenir and reminder of life's unpredictability.

"It's too soon now, but I hope someday Rob and I can get together and have some charity event rolling dice off," Mr Bell told the BBC.

Best known for being home to a marina and a restaurant with goats on its sodded roof, the tie is one of the more exciting things to happen in the little town of 1,160 near the Canadian border.

"I never would have dreamed we'd get this much attention up here," Ms Teich said.

• Upvote 1

Good suit is timeless, that tie is fucking horrendous though, he should be put back in the plane just for that.

Also, why do conspiracy theorist types all respond the same way to obvious nonsense, "Big if true", "I'm just asking the question", "just watch the video", take my money and my dignity Mr snake oil salesman", "I was just reading something smeared on the wall of an abandoned institute in human excrement that said shaking your head really fast side to side stops the big brother taking your picture".

Bizarre behaviour.

I read a column by David Mitchell about the fact that at a push he could get on board with the odd conspiracy theory but he was baffled why a majority believe anything and everything they are told.

As he put it, if you ask a friendly bookmaker to give you odds on Oswald not being the only shooter he said it wouldn't be ludicrous odds. Add the moon landings and you have a tasty double. By the time Prince Philip is flicking mice into his mouth for dinner you are looking at zillions to one.