You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (h) 26/09/2018 - Carabao Cup

sir roger

I mean, shows the difference of the small margins at the very top level. Chelsea are a very good team. Should have won. Didn't. 3 of our first choice back 4 are crucial ( Robbo, VVD, Trent), and so is our Goalkeeper. The margins between quality in our midfield are marginal, so we're ok there.

Our front three are our front three, Shaq and Sturridge obviously not like for like but can cover Salah and Firmino.

VVD, our full backs and keeper are where our biggest drop off in quality exist these days. Crucial and irreplaceable.

And as much as I like Hendo he was absolutely dogshit when he came on tonight. Did very little right.

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Klopp is out of order giving Shaquiri a public bollocking. Whether or not he deserved it he should be keeping a lid on it until it's private. 

I disagree. Nothing wrong with saying stuff when it needs to be said, as long as he's saying it to his face, like a man, and not making snide comments in an interview, like a diminutive Portuguese shitbag.

1 hour ago, Caramac said:

2DUTcma.gif

JcCFRPq.gif

As usual you're the real man of the match. 

I am really confused about what Jurgen is saying though, I thought Shaqiri was our best player, gave 100%. Tried lipreading it about 20 times but I just ended up as confused as Shaqiri looks. 

IMG_20180926_234142.jpg

Bar the West Ham game, Keita has been poor. The fawning over his first few games was way over the top and he needs to get it together.

And I'm worried about Fabinho. Not about his ability or professionalism because he's a very good player, but rather if he is right for our style of play. I don't know if he can play a lone holding role at a high level or if he's right for a team that is so often on the front foot. Klopp holding him back is definitely understandable from that standpoint. 

Besides that, the result means very little and it's a competition we simply don't need. The calendar is already beefy enough. 

• Downvote 1

I will probably get shot for this but i stand by what i say....tonight is yet another example of why we as a football club don't win things any more....

Yes we can argue about fine margins, little moments, if we had our best team, being undone by whatever - but fact is it happened and it happens to us year in year out in knockout football too often.

I am sure some will say 'it is only the league cup' and who knows maybe we will pick up a bigger fish and this will be forgotten but right now it is yet another opportunity to win a trophy gone and us nursing yet another in a long long long list of 'if onlys'.......

Until we get that monkey off our back it is gonna get harder and harder to believe and for us to win things again

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I disagree. Nothing wrong with saying stuff when it needs to be said, as long as he's saying it to his face, like a man, and not making snide comments in an interview, like a diminutive Portuguese shitbag.

Time and place. Not a fan of hanging out dirty washing in public mate. All that will happen now is a press shitfest about how Klopp has fallen out with XS.  Klopp needed to take time out, calm the fuck down and speak to the players out of the glare of the cameras 

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

I will probably get shot for this but i stand by what i say....tonight is yet another example of why we as a football club don't win things any more....

Mate, we drew Chelsea in the first game of the Carabao Cup in the middle of an absolute murderers row of matches. You're allowed to be outclassed by a moment of magic from a World Class player in a small knockout competition, it doesn't make the team a bunch of losers. 

If we'd drawn Derby and lost, you'd have a point. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Mate, we drew Chelsea in the first game of the Carabao Cup in the middle of an absolute murderers row of matches. You're allowed to be outclassed by a moment of magic from a World Class player in a small knockout competition, it doesn't make the team a bunch of losers. 

If we'd drawn Derby and lost, you'd have a point. 

You wanna win things you do what they did tonight and step up...we again didn't.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

You wanna win things you do what they did tonight and step up...we again didn't.

You look at football solely through the prism of results and ignore the context. It's not like we didn't create chances and they dominated. That match was a toss-up, in a game that both managers would have wanted to win, but really didn't care much about. It's not indicative of anything. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

I hate Mingolet. I hate his head, I hate his goalkeeping,  I hate his weakling longkicks that barely scrape over the half way line, I hate that Hazard knows he can score against him anytime he wants. If losing tonight means we never see in our shirt again then I'm content. 

Maybe a bit of confirmation bias at play but I'd like to see Hazards goal from the other side, no where near the corner and from that angle it should be hitting him flush in the stomach if he's positioned like a real goalkeeper.

Hazard should've never been allowed to run through us like that but I admit I couldn't help but think that Alisson would've got a hand to that at the least. It was a great goal from an attacking perspective but the defending was amateur hour and the goalkeeping didn't look much better either.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You look at football solely through the prism of results and ignore the context. It's not like we didn't create chances and they dominated. That match was a toss-up, in a game that both managers would have wanted to win, but really didn't care much about. It's not indicative of anything. 

It is a results business.

Results are what matter.

Yeah we created chances, yeah it was a close game, a toss up etc and throw in any one of a number of the usual mitigating factors, or just rank 'bad luck' - freak occurences like Stevie falling over, Karius doing what he did or Salah's injury and so on and on and on...

Fact is we continually come up short in cup games and that is why we have won one trophy in the last 12 years......it might be a final (where we are so unlucky to lose on pens ala league cup v city) or it might be 'oh we drew leicester ot chelsea in league cup'....fact is we keep failing to win trophies, year after year and how we fail or how heroic the failure is or how unlucky it is, how fine the margin is etc really does not matter.

I'd love this club to prove it can win like the club it faced tonight do - i'd love it more than most things but sadly i just can't see it.....and oh aye we'll have a story as to why, fuck that I have read so many variants of it before - i want to read a story with a different ending.

Can this side write it? I would LOVE to be proven wrong - but for me the answer is sadly no.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Results are what matter.

Yeah we created chances, yeah it was a toss up, it was a close game, and throw in any one of a number of the usual mitigating factors, or just rank 'bad luck' - freak occurences like Stevie falling over, Karius doing what he did or Salah's injury and so on and on and on...

Fact is we continually come up short in cup games and that is why we have won one trophy in the last 12 years......it might be a final (where we are so unlucky to lose on pens ala league cup v city) or it might be 'oh we drew leicester ot chelsea in league cup'....fact is we keep failing to win trophies, year after year and how we fail or how heroic the failure is or how unlucky it is, how fine the margin is etc really does not matter.

I'd love this club to prove it can win like the club it faced tonight do - i'd love it more than most things but sadly i just can't see it.....and oh aye we'll have a story as to why, fuck that I have read so many variants of it before - i want to read a story with a different ending.

Can this side write it? I would LOVE to be proven wrong - but for me the answer is sadly no.

Quoted in error when trying to edit!

35 minutes ago, an tha said:

Results are what matter.

I'll stop you right there. If you can't derive an understanding and perspective from the context surrounding the results or not get any enjoyment from anything other than your team getting a positive result no matter how it happened then it's not worth discussing anything. 

Despite what most thought at the beginning of the season after a laughable overreaction following the Community Shield, Chelsea are a top team managed by an incredibly skilled man. Drawing them in this competition in the middle of the most brutal schedule of games we've had in like a decade is incredibly unlucky. It just is what it is. It was a tryout for our new signings, that's what this game was. . 

And it's irrelevant to any other cup final loss. There is nothing similar between those games and this one. Losing one-off games to top opposition says nothing about a team's mentality if the performance was acceptable, which it has been in pretty much every case. You can't all lump these games together and think there's a correlation. If you do that, it's impossible that LFC will win a trophy ever again unless we sack the manager and all the players. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'll stop you right there. If you can't derive an understanding and perspective from the context surrounding the results or not get any enjoyment from anything other than your team getting a positive result no matter how it happened then it's not worth discussing anything.

Yeah. I don't know why you are even trying to engage in that conversation - it is an idiotic one. A special circle reserved in hell for fools who don't understand context.

On one of your earliest posts however -- I think you're being harsh on Keita. I was at the Spurs game and he was very good that day; he got through a lot of work and really harried their midfield. He has been a little underwhelming though on what we possibly thought we were getting -- I was expecting a Mane for the midfield, with a tenacious but skillful streak who goes on weaving runs carrying the ball a third of the pitch at a time. Haven't seen any of the latter characteristic yet. Its been good to see Wijnaldum & Milner performing so highly though as the new midfielders haven't made the instant impact we may have hoped for. Very early days though so we'll see.

Some poor finishing and some ordinary refereeing (both on and off the pitch) and a brilliant solo effort from a great player all contributed to the result tonight. It's frustrating, as it's yet another trophy that Liverpool can't win in an era where they've been scarce (a single league cup in 13 years!) Also, copping a top team first up in the midst of a brutal run of games is a bit stiff, but if you were going to lose one of them, then this was probably the one you'd choose. 

That said, if Liverpool weren't going to win it, then going out in the first game is probably the best result in terms of the pure number of games this season, especially off the back of the World Cup. It was also not a bad performance per se, with some fringe players contributing nicely, which bodes well for the season ahead. 

I'm not too arsed. Look at our starting line-up. We threw a dice and came up short but Saturday is a different story and a full strength Liverpool is a completely different prospect to today's team of the past. I hope we fucking smash them and let them know it's good for them we didn't give a shit about the league cup because  their only chance of winning something is if it's our lowest priority.

Get beat Saturday and I'll probably hissy fit.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Despite what most thought at the beginning of the season after a laughable overreaction following the Community Shield, Chelsea are a top team managed by an incredibly skilled man. Drawing them in this competition in the middle of the most brutal schedule of games we've had in like a decade is incredibly unlucky. It just is what it is. It was a tryout for our new signings, that's what this game was. . 

For my money, mate it is this kind of excuse making and justifying not getting it done that has lead to us seemingly accepting winning fuck all for years.

I bet Chelsea looked at this draw and thought - fuck that is a tough one, incredibly unlucky - but they came got a job done and move on. We don't have the necessary quality to get it done when we are bringing in shite like Moreno for example.

As far as the game being a 'tryout for new signings' i couldn't disagree more - it was one (probably our most realistic) of our 4 chances at moving towards ending a silverware drought that plagues our football club ...One where winning a mere 3 games this side of Christmas would see us in the semis - hardly demanding is it  - i personally can't downgrade a game with something on it to 'tryout' status - you can and that is up to you, i disagree massively but that is opinions isn't it.

Personally i would have played our strongest 11 last night but there you go.

Yet again though we are left 'drawing the positives' and 'looking at the bigger picture' 'all boding well' 'being unlucky, but getting there' etc etc etc no club can win everything of course and never has - even the greatest sides get knocked out of cups, but we are a team who desperately need to win something and last night when all is said and done (take all the reasons already talked about away for a moment) saw yet again a door to finally doing so slammed shut.

Anyway it's done now - lets see what lies ahead - lets see how the team react to this setback, lets see what happens first of all Saturday when we go head to head with these again. About time we gave the horrible twats a good hiding, or even a spawny 1-0 where we are dead lucky...that would be very nice.

• Upvote 1