You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think we will win the CL.

thompsonsnose

I remember telling somebody back in 2005 that I thought we had a genuine shot at winning this thing, and I got laughed at. Sure there were at least 3-4 sides better than us, but my reasoning was that we looked like one of those sides that just never went away. If the Greeks could win Euro 2004, then anything was possible. If a fat bastard like Shaun Murphy could win the World Snooker Championship after entering as a qualifier, then anything was possible.

It is more possible than in 2005, I think.

So I'm not ruling it out.

Front 3 would need a charmed, injury-free run... same Ox, who would have to play the games of his life... and same, VVD would need to be colossal.

I'll wait to get over Porto (if) and once it's the quarter finals, well, who knows.

I'm in.

• Upvote 1

Think the 2005 team was a great knockout team. We weren't brilliant but defensively we were very solid & tactically disciplined. Rafa could set out that team to get a result anywhere, even if not a win. That wins you cup competitions. 

Our current group with the adventurous gung ho football and where pretty much all of our quality is concentrated in our front three is very different. I'm not optimistic. I'd just like us to beat Porto at this stage, think people take that for granted far too easily.

This 11 is not better than the '05 side. Megastar quality in Gerrard; Alonso, Hyppia, Carragher a top spine. Our fringe players may be better than the equivalents of that team -- the core of the side certainly not.

We benefit, however, from the lack this year of teams of the quality of Chelsea & Juventus (as examples) from that year. Its a pretty poor crop of European sides -- which makes the Coutinho sale unforgiveable.