You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Sturridge staying now as it would cost too much to replace him

Jesus, what's it going to cost not to replace the fucking massive sick-note

Not going well at all this window

There's been interest in him apparently but I'd imagine that teams are saying they'd only pay around £20m for him and we're quoting prices that match his ability not his injury record, to replace him with Aumbameyang for instance would cost £63m and more in wages when we'd only get back a third of it from Sturridges sale, id personally do it but it's not my money!

So we are not selling Sturridge for less then 30-40 million, so we can use him for 5 games next season. good value in that.

He was one of the reasons we got in to the CL IMO. His opening goal against West Ham was crucial.

Im all for replacing him if the right player was there but you going to get 15/20ml for him and then have to stump up more cash towards his wages for the duration of the deal.

We wouldn't have made the champions league without him last year. I dont hold out that much hope he stays fit though. But he was fit for farore games than he played last year.

• Upvote 1

If we were to get Keita, a very good centre back & a very good left back I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the forward options as we very rarely play more than 1 up front anyway, and would have Sturridge, Origi, Firmino, Ings, Solanke & potentially Mane for one position.

• Upvote 1

I said at the end of the season that Sturridge will only go for a nominal fee or even on a free. Why would any club spend serious money on him? He has proven himself as a brilliant but ultimately broken player.

Amd yet still looked a breath of fresh air when Mane got injured.

He made the difference in a few games just by his movement. Now if yiur taking replacing him with ine of the best in the world id have no issue but we are not looking at them players. By the sounds of the reports we know we will get ripped off trying to bring players in. Even someone like Vardy would set you back the best part of 40ml and he is shite.

We want Keita and a top notch CB shelling out another 50ml plus on a top striker wasn't happening unless we got offers of 30ml plus for him

• Upvote 1

He was one of the reasons we got in to the CL IMO. His opening goal against West Ham was crucial.

He was one of the reasons in so much there was about million reasons over the season. He's a striker earning £150k per week, he scored a goal, so what? We have players who contributed all season that helped us get to 76 points, not just some loser who comes to life when he's fighting for his career to pinch a bit of glory to preserve his own future and allow him to kick back in the treatment room for the next 12 months.

There's no doubt Sturridge is a talent, but he doesn't get on the pitch enough. He should be doing more than the odd goal to help us. We have what seems to me to be a strict quota of players, we won't bring in another striker if one doesn't go. We have 3 strikers at the club, Sturridge, origi and ings. 2 of them can never get on the pitch and the other one is crap. We can't just keep with the 3 of those because we get the odd cameo from each of them - we need some to leave to bring in players who can contribute. For me, we have to get rid of at least one of that 3, but I'd have no issue if all 3 went, because they contribute the square root of fuck all between them.

• Upvote 9

The full back issue is hard to figure out for us IMO. There's no outstanding ones out there who would realistically be available to us. Hard position to judge.

Seems like even City with all their cash are going for Kyle Walker for first choice right back even though he's oldish and a bit shit. Very fast and can run all day but not even Glen Johnson standard with the ball at his feet. Chelsea look interested in Alex Sandro but Juve want insane money for him, he's better than Alonso but not like £70m better.

Sessegnon signing a pro contract is interesting given our ban on signing youth players. If he wants to join us we could go for him despite the ban now and Fulham might be a bit more willing to listen now they know they'd get decent money for him.

He was one of the reasons in so much there was about million reasons over the season. He's a striker earning £150k per week, he scored a goal, so what? We have players who contributed all season that helped us get to 76 points, not just some loser who comes to life when he's fighting for his career to pinch a bit of glory to preserve his own future and allow him to kick back in the treatment room for the next 12 months.

There's no doubt Sturridge is a talent, but he doesn't get on the pitch enough. He should be doing more than the odd goal to help us. We have what seems to me to be a strict quota of players, we won't bring in another striker if one doesn't go. We have 3 strikers at the club, Sturridge, origi and ings. 2 of them can never get on the pitch and the other one is crap. We can't just keep with the 3 of those because we get the odd cameo from each of them - we need some to leave to bring in players who can contribute. For me, we have to get rid of at least one of that 3, but I'd have no issue if all 3 went, because they contribute the square root of fuck all between them.

Barry knows

Amd yet still looked a breath of fresh air when Mane got injured.

He made the difference in a few games just by his movement. Now if yiur taking replacing him with ine of the best in the world id have no issue but we are not looking at them players. By the sounds of the reports we know we will get ripped off trying to bring players in. Even someone like Vardy would set you back the best part of 40ml and he is shite.

We want Keita and a top notch CB shelling out another 50ml plus on a top striker wasn't happening unless we got offers of 30ml plus for him

Breath of fresh air? What the fuck air did you see?

I saw toxic fucking fumes

I saw a player that actually made runs you would expect to see a striker make.

We looked fucked for weeks before with teams sitting deep and us not breaking them down. Look at our results before he came back into the side,we were pretty shite,winning by the odd goal if we did. We had scored 5 in 5 scrapping past Watford,Stoke and West Brom,loosing to Palace,Doing fuck all against Southampton. Sturridge come back in played as you would expect your front man too and open up space with his runs off the defender and we win the last two games 4-0 and 3-0. 

I have said if we had the money and could get a Suarez,Aubamyang type then yes id replace him but Klopp will play with Firmino as his front man most games and if your not going to get 30ml for Sturridge then there is no point selling him for peanuts. 

Buying a second rate striker like Vardy for 20ml more than youll get STurridge is fucking pointless. Also even if you sell him you are not getting his full wages of the books as youll end up stumping up 50-70k a week as the likess if west ham wont pay it

• Upvote 3

why wont WHU pay £150k per week? They've been overpaying shit for years. They pay Andy Carroll £90k per week. They're loaded like all the PL teams. Of course they'd pay £150k per week for Sturridge if they see him as an answer to their problems. And he could play 15-20 games a season there and be their best player by miles. 

There's been interest in him apparently but I'd imagine that teams are saying they'd only pay around £20m for him and we're quoting prices that match his ability not his injury record, to replace him with Aumbameyang for instance would cost £63m and more in wages when we'd only get back a third of it from Sturridges sale, id personally do it but it's not my money!

The point is the fans have lost interest in him. Just offload the cunt and get real. Sturridge solves none of problems just creates more. Oh and why they're at it kiss and make friends with Sakho because I for one don't think VVD will ever kick a ball for this club and I sure as hell don't want to be relying on that space cadet Lovren next season, 

Ive swung between selling and keeping sturridge more times than I can remember. He's a natural finisher but he's also a bit of a crock. What he makes up for in finishing, he lacks in mental strength to play through the pain barrier.

We'd have to spend god knows how much to get a striker of quality similar to him unless we unearthed an absolute gem.

I read Klopp isnt inclined to sell sturridge on the basis of how much he'd have to spend to replace him. Might be right, might be wrong but Klopp doesnt seem one too bothered about having this supposed much needed free scoring single striker.

why wont WHU pay £150k per week? They've been overpaying shit for years. They pay Andy Carroll £90k per week. They're loaded like all the PL teams. Of course they'd pay £150k per week for Sturridge if they see him as an answer to their problems. And he could play 15-20 games a season there and be their best player by miles.

Not many team pay their players £150k a week or more.

Even Spurs top earner is nowhere near that.

You would have thought West Ham would have learnt their lessons from buying our turds.

I agree that most moves broke down with him last season and his decision making at times was worse than awful but how much of that was down to fatigue is my question, he was a lot better going forward at Southampton and scored a few good goals so like I said he's not a huge priority to upgrade at the moment but if he has another season like he did then I'd 100% replace him the season after, having said that we do really need at least one of our fullbacks to give us width and an extra dynamic when going forward so if it's only possible to upgrade Clyne now and keep Milner for another season then replace him I'd do that.

I can't buy into the fatigue argument - he played 36 league games and 3 league cup games.

No FA Cup and of course we didn't have Europe - that is not a lot of games.

Players were regularly racking up 60 games a season when we were great in the 80's.

A 35 year old Ibrahimovic played 46 games for the mancs last season and in a season cut short by injury.

I do think he ran out of steam,same as Milner. Our full backs are expected to cover a fair bit of ground each game. Clynes up and down the field each game. I do fully expect TAA to really push him as the starter by xmas this year

Not many team pay their players £150k a week or more.

Even Spurs top earner is nowhere near that.

You would have thought West Ham would have learnt their lessons from buying our turds.

Not many teams do, because we are only about to start year 2 of the TV deal. I would say while spurs may have an overall wage bill that exceeds WHU, I would think WHU has the odd player on more money as they've never appeared to try and work within a strict wage budget, which spurs need to do to fund a stadium, while WHU got theirs for next to free.