You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

Of course they are and they have been ever since all of this started years back. That's been the whole point and it's why he's currently in this situation. I don't know why he carries on playing their games.

I think the word "concerns" is right. Some people seem very concerned. I thought he put that well.

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think the word "concerns" is right. Some people seem very concerned. I thought he put that well.

I don't see why he bothers though, continually backing down won't solve the problems of the Labour IHRA Party and speaking too much truth on the subject just gets you kicked out anyway by the looks of it.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't see why he bothers though, continually backing down won't solve the problems of the Labour EHRC Party and speaking too much truth on the subject just gets you kicked out anyway by the looks of it.

Yeah maybe. I think hes throwing the ball back in their court. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

The jew hater speaks,

That should see him reinstated. Reading between the lines there would have been back and forth over the wording of this, but he would have been told that unless something like this comes out as a non-retraction retraction, then you're getting the boot. He's said okay, they've agreed the wording, then he will be reinstated and the world can move on and Twitter can get on with claiming Starmer is a Tory. Everyone's happy. 

If only he'd come out with something more like that in the first place rather than about not accepting findings, him not being part of the problem, etc, rather just said sorry and got on with it, all this could have been avoided. Ah well, least he has done it now. 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I read the below statement humming the old Chaz and Dave song '@ther ain't no pleasing you'

So much for 'everyone's happy'. I assumed the statement would have been cleared with various groups. Obviously not. It was a 'non-retraction retraction' but I assumed it would hd have been okayed already. Ah well, back on the Ferris wheel of hatred for the Labour Party. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's not just them. It was oh so predictable.

But you've been saying that Labour and Starmer have boxed themselves into a corner, and now you're saying this is evidence of it. Okay, fine, but what could they have done that would have stopped this? Suspending Corbyn hasn't started this - fuck, we know that it has been going on way before that - so not suspending him wouldn't have stopped it. Telling them to fuck off and not looking at complaints wouldn't have stopped it. So what would have been the solution to this? What would have been 'not boxing themselves into a corner'. I'm trying to understand what that looks like, because at the moment it's just you saying a thing. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Here we go. Haters gonna hate

I mean, it is true; there is no apology for what was I the EHRC and there was no acceptance or stepping back on his comments about not accepting findings within the EHRC report. I don't agree that it's a continuation of it, but it's also not a step back. That's why I called it a non-retraction retraction. It does seem to be going down like a lead brick, which means it wasn't cleared with these groups previously. I wonder if it was even seen by Labour, or if it's just off his/his legal team's own backs. 

5 minutes ago, Numero said:

But you've been saying that Labour and Starmer have boxed themselves into a corner, and now you're saying this is evidence of it. Okay, fine, but what could they have done that would have stopped this? Suspending Corbyn hasn't started this - fuck, we know that it has been going on way before that - so not suspending him wouldn't have stopped it. Telling them to fuck off and not looking at complaints wouldn't have stopped it. So what would have been the solution to this? What would have been 'not boxing themselves into a corner'. I'm trying to understand what that looks like, because at the moment it's just you saying a thing. 

The decision to suspend Corbyn was ridiculous, it created an unnecessary problem. The statement by Starmer saying people who questioned the scale of anti semitism in the labour party would be punished was also a massive over reaction. It's ok to sound tough but if you set impossible standards then it's going to come back to bite you.

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The decision to suspend Corbyn was ridiculous, it created an unnecessary problem. The statement by Starmer saying people who questioned the scale of anti semitism in the labour party would be punished was also a massive over reaction. It's ok to sound tough but if you set impossible standards then it's going to come back to bite you.

How, in relation to these comments you're talking about as evidence that they've boxed themselves in, has it come back to bite him and what could have been done to avoid these responses by BOD etc? 

Seriously, unless you answer those two questions, it looks like you're just yapping. 

54 minutes ago, Numero said:

How, in relation to these comments you're talking about as evidence that they've boxed themselves in, has it come back to bite him and what could have been done to avoid these responses by BOD etc? 

Seriously, unless you answer those two questions, it looks like you're just yapping. 

I've answered. The decision to suspend Corbyn was the labour party's alone, it took almost everyone by surprise. Still you reap what you sow and all that and unfortunately it's a sour harvest.

As for the responses by the usual suspects I agree the responses were predictable which is why I found Starmer going so far out to appease them a little strange. 

The bottom line is Corbyn was gone, the report seemed to appease the freinds of Israel faction so the aftermath seemed unnecessary bluster. I couldn't understand it. People said at the time it would prove an own goal and that's the way its turning out.

Just now, Gnasher said:

I've answered. The decision to suspend Corbyn was the labour party's alone, it took almost everyone by surprise. Still you reap what you sow and all that and unfortunately it's a sour harvest.

As for the responses by the usual suspects I agree the responses were predictable which is why I found Starmer going so far out to appease them a little strange. 

The bottom line is Corbyn was gone, the report seemed to appease the freinds of Israel faction so the aftermath seemed unnecessary bluster. I couldn't understand it. People said at the time it would prove an own goal and that's the way its turning out.

You saying Labour suspended Corbyn isn't explaining how it boxed them into a corner with this as evidence? These things were happening before Starmer came, before the report, before Corbyn responded, after what he responded with, before Starmer's response, after his response, and after Corbyn was suspended. The idea that if Labour didn't suspend Corbyn this would all be fine and Bod wouldn't have been foaming at the mouth every day since Corbyn's response, and it was the decision to suspend him that boxed him into a corner rather than inheriting a fucking SHITSHOW is patently ridiculous in my view.