You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tiago Ilori

navbasi

I saw the Guardian gave him 4/10. I thought he did well under the circumstances. Hopefully he'll get another chance on Wednesday night with Kolo who can guide him through.

Agreed, he looked good to me considering he's only been back two days and has never played with that back four and keeper.He was composed on the ball and played like he was one of the more experienced players, hopefully he gets a couple of games in the next few weeks playing next to someone with more experience.

Hopefully we will get someone cheap or on loan in the next couple of days

Hope its not that Italian from Inter though

Me neither, not keen on Subotic either. He's only played once this season through injury and loss of form. The most likely looking is Matip but Schalke don't want to sell. Even if we do wear them down it's more likely to be just before the end of the window, as Spurs did in a similar situation with Lewis Holtby a few years ago.

The team showed a lot of fight to get out of there without a loss. Hard to play football on that pitch. Makeshift team with loads of kids. All things taken into account, it's harsh of the Guardian to have a pop at Ilori. I think he can play and show more than we saw at Exeter, but he was not match fit and was trying to get up to speed in a makeshift set up.

As for the physique, loads of the players these days look like bean poles. John Stones over the park is touted as the next big thing and reportedly has a lot of teams interested, for very big money too. He's not exactly a muscular physical specimen. Gangly more like, though obviously the amount of games he's getting under his belt is improving him.

Ilori may or may not make it here, but he hasn't played for Villa, has been injured, and came into a makeshift side in a banana-skin of a tie, played out on a potato field. As such to emerge with a draw and keep the tie going is OK.

• Upvote 2

Apart from his match fitness level, which is down to Villa, I thought he did pretty well. He made some important tackles, his positioning was good, and he won his headers in our area and cleared them well. He does need beefing up. But some lower league cunt pushing you into a hoarding from behind when you've just outmuscled him to a ball, does not mean you're weak.

Hopefully we will get someone cheap or on loan in the next couple of days

Hope its not that Italian from Inter though

I don't see the point of bringing another CB in unless they are considerably better then what we have now, the names linked are not.We'll have 2-3 cbs returning within a month so Illori coming back should be enough imo until the summer.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently a lot of full transfer documentation has been leaking out of Portugal and the Illori deal was as follows:

Tiago Illori (Sporting to Liverpool)

• Liverpool paid 4.8 million Euros (£3.7 million)

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 15th appearance

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 30th appearance

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 45th appearance

• Liverpool will pay Sporting 25% of any future transfer fee

• Liverpool cannot sell the player to Benfica, FC Porto or Braga unless they pay a minimum of 60 million Euros to which Sporting will receive 50% of

Apparently a lot of full transfer documentation has been leaking out of Portugal and the Illori deal was as follows:

Tiago Illori (Sporting to Liverpool)

• Liverpool paid 4.8 million Euros (£3.7 million)

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 15th appearance

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 30th appearance

• Liverpool will pay 500,000 Euros after his 45th appearance

• Liverpool will pay Sporting 25% of any future transfer fee

• Liverpool cannot sell the player to Benfica, FC Porto or Braga unless they pay a minimum of 60 million Euros to which Sporting will receive 50% of

A lot less than previously suggested then.