You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

In some of our best games this season, we played 4-4-1-1... Maribor away, Stoke away, West Ham away. Firmino would excel in that Roberto Baggio role behind the main striker IMO. He certainly did for Hoffenheim behind Kevin Volland, I can’t see why he wouldn’t... say behind an Aubameyang for example.

Modeste was the main striker when he was at Hoffenhiem. Volland played on the wing.

It's not great, but I wouldn't call it "as bad as it gets".

Balotelli, Lambert and Borini as our only options - that's as bad as it gets.

Actually, in 2012/13 before we signed Sturridge (and Coutinho), we had Suarez and Sterling playing, backed up by the likes of Borini, Morgan and Yesil. We'd just got rid of Kuyt and Bellamy, and sent Carroll out on loan without getting someone else in. That's when the owners published their infamous letter. The club's activities on the last day of that transfer window were showen on that documentary.

He's been brilliant but should also be noted that we've had frustrating games such as West Brom at home and Swansea away where better squad back ups or other forward options could have won us precious points. It could even have involved Firmino dropping deep to feed a central striker. There are always ways to improve already excellent players.

We are always going to get games where strikers do not score. I have been to some games where we have not scored thinking we could play 24 hours and still not score against that team. It happens. Having a Davey Fairclough to come on and turn games is great but it does not happen very often. In fact Fairclough is the only example I can think of such a super sub and even he got pissed off being called that and not being able to hold down a regular spot in the team. I think this idea that you can have a back up striker who comes on and scores regularly while still being a back up is a bit left field myself. Even Giroud decided he wanted out of Arsenal playing that role to try his luck at Chelsea where £50m man Morota has failed to pull up trees.

I doubted his ability to do it consistently, but to be fair to the lad this is a massive step up since the beginning of the season, and he seems to have got even better since Coutinho left.   I'm putting it down to the lad himself, the coaching team, and Klopp.

I'm putting it down to his determination to win you over.

• Upvote 5