You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

4 hours ago, Raymond Duck said:

Arrived home to find my wife has broken my electric moka pot (my separate bean grinder is in tact). I can easily replace but @Remmie and others, tempted by a bean to cup.

Any Sage (pardon the coffee pun) advice appreciated before pulling the trigger. Thank you. 

Unless you're dead set on the convenience of bean to cup I wouldn't bother, get a cheaper espresso machine and get a better cup out of it. I think earlier in the thread NV posted about the Sage batista touch which seems to be the creme de la creme of bean to cups and solves a major issue that most of those machines have. 

Going from a moka pot to a bean to cup is a huge investment, so I would recommend experimenting with what sort of coffee you like, starting with the aeropress, which at worst you can use as a travel brewer for less than £30. As ever the voice of coffee is James Hoffmann on YouTube and I end up parroting what he says most of the time, so have a butchers through his videos (he has reviewed the Barista touch). 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Unless you're dead set on the convenience of bean to cup I wouldn't bother, get a cheaper espresso machine and get a better cup out of it. I think earlier in the thread NV posted about the Sage batista touch which seems to be the creme de la creme of bean to cups and solves a major issue that most of those machines have. 

Going from a moka pot to a bean to cup is a huge investment, so I would recommend experimenting with what sort of coffee you like, starting with the aeropress, which at worst you can use as a travel brewer for less than £30. As ever the voice of coffee is James Hoffmann on YouTube and I end up parroting what he says most of the time, so have a butchers through his videos (he has reviewed the Barista touch). 

Thanks Remmie, I have an aeropress and enjoyed that until my wife starting using it as a pencil holder (Are you seeing a theme here?)

I’ll check that guy out and will likely go with an expresso or bean to cup I think. Appreciate the reply. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/04/2023 at 11:07, Karl_b said:

Yeah but they're really easy to clean, easier than getting the coffee from the bottom of a french press and easier than cleaning the filters in them. The coffee puck and paper will pop straight out in to the bin, then the plunger will need a little bit of a wipe but otherwise you can just quickly drop the other bits in the sink for a few seconds. I hardly ever wash the funnel as it only ever has dried grounds on it. 

The Aeropress is always my first recommendation for anyone wanting to try filter coffee, it's dead easy to use and makes consistently good coffee that really draws the flavour out of the beans.

The 'straight out of the box' recipe is fine but after much trial and error I stick with the one from the Hoff:

11g freshly ground beans

200g/ml boiling water

Wait 2 mins

Gentle swirl

Wait 30 seconds

Plunge

Works every time. No need for preheating or pre-wetting of filters, etc either so much easier.

Are you pouring the boiling water into the Aeropress/coffee, or are you waiting 2 minutes AFTER boiling before pouring?

Found an unused milling blade for our Nutri Bullet in the cupboard. A small life win. 

Anyone got any recommendations for beans? I'm in Liverpool. Someone on my estate runs Monkeyboard coffee, they've got some good looking recipes, though honestly I wonder if it makes any difference.

https://monkeyboardcoffee.co.uk/blogs/news/award-winning-aeropress-recipes

IMG_20230418_145412.jpg

3 hours ago, Raymond Duck said:

Thanks Remmie, I have an aeropress and enjoyed that until my wife starting using it as a pencil holder (Are you seeing a theme here?)

I’ll check that guy out and will likely go with an expresso or bean to cup I think. Appreciate the reply. 

I should have mentioned the Barista touch is the dogs bollocks but frigging expensive, there are 2 versions I think, the pricier ones with a lcd screen is £1,500 & the 'cheaper' one is around £800. Hence my warnings about being sure you want that sort of machine as it sounds like you already have a grinder. 

A good review for you: 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Are you pouring the boiling water into the Aeropress/coffee, or are you waiting 2 minutes AFTER boiling before pouring?

Pour the water into the aeropress and wait 2 minutes. If you have a temperature controlled kettle adjust the temp to the roast, the darker the roast the closer to boiling point, the lighter you start going down to 80c.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Found an unused milling blade for our Nutri Bullet in the cupboard. A small life win. 

Anyone got any recommendations for beans? I'm in Liverpool. Someone on my estate runs Monkeyboard coffee, they've got some good looking recipes, though honestly I wonder if it makes any difference.

https://monkeyboardcoffee.co.uk/blogs/news/award-winning-aeropress-recipes

IMG_20230418_145412.jpg

Recipes make a huge difference, I quite like the competition style brews where they use double the amount of beans and therefore less water, once brewed it can be watered down again to an original ratio. This makes a really punchy coffee (actually 2 cups worth). Again you can go full nerd and hammer YouTube for different recipes and reasons behind them. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12161723/Doctor-sexually-assaulted-woman-depositing-SEMEN-multiple-cups-coffee.html

Opening the case, prosecution barrister Richard Posner said it was in September 2021 when the alleged victim 'became concerned there might be something not right about the hot drinks' the defendant was making for her.

He added: '(She) had good reason to be suspicious because there was a substance in her coffee that had no business being there at all. The defendant's semen had been added to the drinks that the prosecution say he had been making for her.

'By adding semen to coffee, he had been attempting to engage her in a form of sexual activity - by her ingesting his semen.'

The prosecution said the alleged victim started to notice something strange about her coffee at the end of 2020 - but had no idea what it was for nearly a year.

Mr Posner added: 'She took a sip of her drink and spat it out into the sink.. It didn't taste right. It tasted salty. She tipped the remainder into the sink and saw a thick, gloopy substance go into the sink.

'She just knew it was something that shouldn't have been there. She did not for a moment think it could have been semen.'

Creamy.

• 4 months later...

I've tried a lot of different beans this year, hoping to find something that works well with the Flair espresso maker. I have a great electric grinder for filter coffee but never expected to need to go fine enough for espresso and therefore have resorted back to hand grinding (fnar). 

It's also taken a lot of tinkering with the Flair to get a good espresso out of it but I think I'm there (clearly not of the standard of the best speciality coffee places but good for a home set up). 

Anyway, some suggestions for quality espresso beans:

https://200degs.com/products/brazilian-love-affair

https://www.darkartscoffee.co.uk/products/lost-highway-seasonal-espresso-mexico-1?_pos=1&_psq=lost+h&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=40211386368055

https://climpsonandsons.com/products/the-fields-buena-vista-el-salvador-2

These are also pretty versatile and will make a decent pour over, especially the Dark Arts one.

• Upvote 1

i was only looking at this thread yesterday as i am looking at becoming a coffee snob. It's not really being a snob though is it? if im drinking coffee everyday, the least i can do is make the best one i can.

Looked at machines and unless i justify spending £600+ there seems to be little or no point to them.

So i am going for a hand/manual grinder and a milf frother that looks like a kettle.

i already have the french press/cafetiere and so will make espresso with that method. all in for about £50 minus the beans.

• Upvote 1

No idea if I've said this before but the cafe by my office do a coffee I can't think of what brand but it's the only coffee once I've had it i'm literally buzzing and talking even more shite than usual, for an hour, fuck knows how much caffeine must be in that because I've never had that off red bull or anything.

30 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

No idea if I've said this before but the cafe by my office do a coffee I can't think of what brand but it's the only coffee once I've had it i'm literally buzzing and talking even more shite than usual, for an hour, fuck knows how much caffeine must be in that because I've never had that off red bull or anything.

We can probably rule out Mellow Birds and Chicory Cup, I guess.

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Jack3d by the sounds of it.

8 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

i was only looking at this thread yesterday as i am looking at becoming a coffee snob. It's not really being a snob though is it? if im drinking coffee everyday, the least i can do is make the best one i can.

Looked at machines and unless i justify spending £600+ there seems to be little or no point to them.

So i am going for a hand/manual grinder and a milf frother that looks like a kettle.

i already have the french press/cafetiere and so will make espresso with that method. all in for about £50 minus the beans.

Yeah fuck the machines off, unless you are regularly drinking espresso and even then you can get a Flair like _b. Give the Aeropress a go for a slightly better coffee and more convenience. But by all means learn how to be a ponce with a cafetiere, especially if you are making more than one cup at a time. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yeah fuck the machines off, unless you are regularly drinking espresso and even then you can get a Flair like _b. Give the Aeropress a go for a slightly better coffee and more convenience. But by all means learn how to be a ponce with a cafetiere, especially if you are making more than one cup at a time. 

Saw a guy on youtube, James Hoffman? i think his name was, a proper english coffee snob. He demonstrated the aeropress and made a palatable espresso by his high standards. But then he showed how to use the cafetiere to make one and that was me hooked on the idea.

His reviews on home espresso machines put me off buying one. unless you buy something akin to industrial size and power for megabucks you are ultimately going to regret it when it breaks or fucks up your coffee.

I'll report back when ive ordered the bits to make a manual espresso with frothy milf topping.

18 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Saw a guy on youtube, James Hoffman? i think his name was, a proper english coffee snob. He demonstrated the aeropress and made a palatable espresso by his high standards. But then he showed how to use the cafetiere to make one and that was me hooked on the idea.

His reviews on home espresso machines put me off buying one. unless you buy something akin to industrial size and power for megabucks you are ultimately going to regret it when it breaks or fucks up your coffee.

I'll report back when ive ordered the bits to make a manual espresso with frothy milf topping.

Well you can make something similar to espresso but as a Hoffman aficionado I would say he would be the first to disagree that you can make espresso from an aeropress or cafetiere. It is on a fairly tedious technicality and as I say you can make something similar but it isn't espresso. When I first got into coffee properly I thought it was all about espresso but try giving longer drinks ago, especially if you are adding frothy milk. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Remmie said:

Well you can make something similar to espresso but as a Hoffman aficionado I would say he would be the first to disagree that you can make espresso from an aeropress or cafetiere. It is on a fairly tedious technicality and as I say you can make something similar but it isn't espresso. When I first got into coffee properly I thought it was all about espresso but try giving longer drinks ago, especially if you are adding frothy milk. 

Found this little beauty, ive found a similar pressurised piston thingy for £17. Looks a lot better than using a cafetiere.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m posting this from a little dimly lit backstreet cafe near Waterloo station whilst I wait for a train. Excellent coffee, good carrot cake and a collection of old Vespas in the window. Plus a nice waitress, they’re playing moody jazz and it’s pretty cheap especially for London. I feel like I’m in a Richard Curtis film. 

F68DC76C-C5CC-49C0-9437-8C1E837B43D2.jpeg