You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Looks like Milner and Ings are pretty much dead certs to sign for us. It's okay, we all dream of a team of free transfers anyway. FSG won't even have to fork out anything bar signing on fees. We should add the likes of M'Bia, Konoplyanka, Ranocchia, Ayew, Gignac, Neto, Alves and De Jong while we are at it. Sad thing is we are in such a state that a bunch of free transfers would actually improve us quite a bit.

some good players in that list. better than some of the crap in the side at the moment.

Clyne and Milner are very good players. I wouldn't be at all unhappy with them.

Ings would be a good fourth or fifth choice striker at a top club (here he'll be the second or third striker). Benteke is an expensive punt which normally goes to shit when it's us - we could sign twice the player abroad for about ten million less. He blows hot and cold and we already have that type of inconsistency with Mario.

I was listening to that fella hunter who is an expert on European football and he was saying we could easily have a chance of bacca and Jackson Martinez if we chased them. By all accounts, bacca is very much driven by money and would think nothing of going to a club not in the Champions League if the wonga was waved in front of him.

Werner: So Brendan, we're selling Sterling to Madrid for £50mill, are you ok with that.

BR: Yes.

Werner: Congratulations Brendan you have another season with the Liverpool Reds. Oh by the way as Coutinho isnt cup tied in the Champions League, he will be going to Barcelona in January. See yourself out.

We could sign Vietto or add 8 million to the fee Benteke is quoted at and send Lyon an offer for Lacazette that they can't refuse. There are players out there like Keylor Navas, Kovacic and Yarmelenko that we should be contacting right now, we'd be complete dickheads to spend 30+ million on Benteke.

Everyone knows it's going to be a disaster, our fans, the Aston Villa fans know they're mugging us off and even Timmy knows. Most of our transfer windows are like a car crash in slow motion, you know we're going to sign Adam, Downing, Benteke, Lambert etc  the names change but the quality's or lack thereof prevail, you can see it coming a mile away but your powerless to stop it.

• Upvote 3

Some players

We could sign Vietto or add 8 million to the fee Benteke is quoted at and send Lyon an offer for Lacazette that they can't refuse. There are players out there like Keylor Navas, Kovacic and Yarmelenko that we should be contacting right now, we'd be complete dickheads to spend 30+ million on Benteke.

Everyone knows it's going to be a disaster, our fans, the Aston Villa fans know they're mugging us off and even Timmy knows.

Some players are worth pushing the boat out for.

People like Lacazette fit the bill as they know they will have it all to prove in front of the massive premiership worldwide audience.

Also, crucially, players like this arent already in awe of the Premierships top dogs, they dont afford them the respect and just tear into them, irresepective of reputation- see Torres/Suarez- to a lesser level- Pelle, Bolasie, Bony when he first arrived etc.

Players like Benteke are used to losing and will expect to lose to the big guns. That really showed in the Cup Final.

Also, having already proven themselves in this league to an extent, will lack that desire and hunger.

• Upvote 1

Caan and Milner sitting in front of a back four seems ok to me.

Its who we sign up front thats a problem. Benteke has 6 good games a season and the rest of time he is utter gash

it ll be milner on his own with 2 of can allen and henderson in front.

Everyone knows it's going to be a disaster, our fans, the Aston Villa fans know they're mugging us off and even Timmy knows. Most of our transfer windows are like a car crash in slow motion, you know we're going to sign Adam, Downing, Benteke, Lambert etc  the names change but the quality's or lack thereof prevail, you can see it coming a mile away but your powerless to stop it.

Spot on.  I made the same point a few weeks ago, about how the most frustrating thing about all of this is that any average fan can see that we're wasting huge amounts of money on dross but somehow the people who analyse football players for a living think it's a good idea.

Carroll is the most obvious one, but Adam, Downing, and Benteke (if it happens) have to be on that list.  It's just so, so clear that it's never going to work.  How on earth these things happen is a complete mystery.

To make matters worse, ESPN today is going with a story that we're going to swap Sterling for Walcott and Gibbs.  Walcott and Gibbs, for the equivalent of 45-50 million!  No mention of money coming our way, either.  Ian Ayre might as well stack 40 million or so and set it on fire for all the good it will do our club.

I hope that report by ESPN is bollocks and if we do get those two Id want 20-30m on top.

I have seen a lot of arsenal as most of my mates support them, Gibbs is shite and can't cross a ball to save his life.Walcott is a good player who is injury prone, we should be paying no more then 10m for him.

Don't talk sense. These players will end up at Atletico Madrid who will probably fund the moves with the sale of one player whilst operating on half our budget and competing with two of the best teams on the planet. We'll be busy bridging the gap between us and Villa.

• Upvote 1

Spot on.  I made the same point a few weeks ago, about how the most frustrating thing about all of this is that any average fan can see that we're wasting huge amounts of money on dross but somehow the people who analyse football players for a living think it's a good idea.

Carroll is the most obvious one, but Adam, Downing, and Benteke (if it happens) have to be on that list.  It's just so, so clear that it's never going to work.  How on earth these things happen is a complete mystery.

To make matters worse, ESPN today is going with a story that we're going to swap Sterling for Walcott and Gibbs.  Walcott and Gibbs, for the equivalent of 45-50 million!  No mention of money coming our way, either.  Ian Ayre might as well stack 40 million or so and set it on fire for all the good it will do our club.

I'm starting to suspect Rodgers is a double agent sent by his mastermold Mourinho.

tumblr_mazcayJ6gI1qcrr5qo1_400.gif

"Rogers, Victor Moses, Lazerbeak, eject eject eject - operation, dee-struc-shon."

• Upvote 4

Stories have been going around the last couple of days saying we have met Viettos release clause, the problem is Athletico and arsenal have also and we are third choice.

I said that would happen 2 years ago but there you go.  At least we spent £25million on a shiter Jordi Cruyff.

-------------Mignolet-------------

Clyne---Skrtel-----Sakho----Moreno

------Henderson----Milner---------

Coutinho------------------Markovic

---------Benteke---Ings-----------

Subs: Sturridge, Ibe, Lovren, Can, Rossiter, Balotelli, Jones

I think that's top four there. Clyne and Moreno buzzing down the wings, with Henderson and Milner putting out fires and getting forward to support. Benteke and Ings capable of holding it up, getting on the end of crosses, or shooting from angles and distance, or finding feet of Coutinho or Markovic, both with goals in them and clever runs into gaps.

As soon as we start playing with two strikers, then Balotelli becomes of value to the team.

Can could play anywhere in the midfield, or an emergency defender.

If you value balance in a team, then Ings, Benteke, Clyne and Milner give us exactly that providing we play 442/4222, 424, or variants thereof.

I

• Upvote 1

Baring Coutinho and Sakho that could be mistaken for the type of side Villa or the like would line up with.

If our options are Benteke or Vietto then i'd seriously question who's picking our targets because I don't see how you go from target man 1st choice to Vietto 2nd choice.

Football being able to be played in different ways helps.

Subs: Sturridge, Ibe, Lovren, Can, Rossiter, Balotelli, Jones

I think that's top four there. Clyne and Moreno buzzing down the wings, with Henderson and Milner putting out fires and getting forward to support. Benteke and Ings capable of holding it up, getting on the end of crosses, or shooting from angles and distance, or finding feet of Coutinho or Markovic, both with goals in them and clever runs into gaps.

As soon as we start playing with two strikers, then Balotelli becomes of value to the team.

Can could play anywhere in the midfield, or an emergency defender.

If you value balance in a team, then Ings, Benteke, Clyne and Milner give us exactly that providing we play 442/4222, 424, or variants thereof.

I

Hard to tell if this is a serious post but a Henderson/Milner midfield 2 would be horrific. Neither of them are effective at centre mid and both of them are headless chickens rather than positionally sound and would get minimal cover from the other four as a collective and the defence would be even more exposed.

That team has got about 40 goals in it as well but would concede more than that under this manager.

Henderson and Milner wide in a midfield diamond with Coutinho at the apex of it would be effective with Can, Lucas or a new signing the deepest midfielder. Henderson and Milner can be the graft and allow Can to drive forward. Ideally though we need someone mobile who can put out fires as a DM in a positional sense.

• Upvote 2

Football being able to be played in different ways helps.

Which is fine if it was a case of Both and not one or the other but as evidenced by last years debacle we don't seem to link the players to our system. Alexis>Remy>Balotelli. It's ridiculous. Rodgers was all about signing the right type of players to play his way saying things like 'It's not hard to identify targets because there's not many players who can play in our system,' or words to that affect in his first season. Now his system is supposedly simple enough to accommodate Mario Balotelli a lazy thicko who thinks pressing is how his mum gets the creases out of his best pants.

• Upvote 1