You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

I don't think many are disputing his ability. He's not exactly the marquee signing that will give us some hope for the new season. We have lost Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez and Gerrard since they bought the club yet now we are all supposed to do cartwheels because we are getting a free transfer from Man City.

I don't think many are disputing his ability. He's not exactly the marquee signing that will give us some hope for the new season. We have lost Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez and Gerrard since they bought the club yet now we are all supposed to do cartwheels because we are getting a free transfer from Man City.

I don't see anyone saying cartwheels or even a small fireworks display are required. It's just the people trying to make this immediately negative that are saying that.

Everyone else is just trying to point out he's a very good player and immediately adds to our team. You know, a good thing, God forbid.

Now if he ended up the only signing then I could understand people being annoyed. I know I would. But, again, I wouldn't understand people taking it out on Milner and his ability, as that'd be a bit daft.

• Upvote 1

Milner was important to City.

The reason City want(ed) to keep him was simply because it'll be damn costly to replace him with a HG player (even for an entirely different position).

If he wasn't homegrown, I don't think think they'd be as bothered as they are, but he is, and they are.

There are often cries to 'get Milner on' and very few sighs when he appears.

I think the comparison with Kuyt wasn't a bad one. 

That's a fair point, but if you compare him with (say) Balotelli, then he's a far better buy.

Balotelli was 15M + wages (I'm guessing around 70K min) so that's 18.5M for the year

Milner might get 120K wages (another guess) that's 6M for the season

You know what you're getting with Milner and over the course of a season he'll give you three times what Balotelli does. He's a bargain by comparison.

After all the moans about poor spending, Rodgers might actually be getting value for money with Milner.

• Upvote 1

The wailing is at full force now. Anything we do will be decried as failure. Rodgers could get Messi and some would moan Ronaldo was better and we could have got him.

Milner is a very good player. He will probably automatically become our best midfielder thus meaning we have improved our team. If you think Milner is a poor player then you're either deciding this from a very loaded position, or you've just not watched him play for the last bunch of years.

Or people don't rate Milner that highly and have quite calmly pointed out how he doesn't really bring what we need to the team.

You crack on with patronising people who have put more thought into it than you though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or people don't rate Milner that highly and have quite calmly pointed out how he doesn't really bring what we need to the team.

You crack on with patronising people who have put more thought into it than you though.

If anyone actually gives a sensible reason why Milner isn't good then I'll be sure to do that. Given that no one has, mainly because he's very good, I am unable to turn off the patronising button on the back of my head much like the eye-swivel button on Action Man.

A lot of moaning on here, I'd just like to add this... Replacing (the 2015-version of) Gerrard with Milner will strengthen us more than if we had gotten Mascherano instead of Lucas... The difference in workrate will mean we can now get back to being effective in our pressing game. I actually hope we'll go back to playing a midfield diamond, and in any shape we set up, I can see Milner (and Henderson) being very effective in a tandem with Clyne (ala Zabaleta/Milner at City).

Another small matter; when people refer to Tim Sherwood for his fantastic insight of how we never cross the ball (so Benteke won't fit in here)........have you considered that perhaps the manager (and our players) didn't really think it would be a great idea to cross to the 5'5 striker we've had playing there for large parts of the season? I'll happily welcome someone that is able to present a threat in the box, whether it is set pieces or crosses from open play. Benteke can be that as well as a threat on the counter. 

All our rumoured targets (Milner, Clyne and Benteke) will improve us quite a bit. Can't really get my head around Ings though, other than being a cheap(ish) homegrown squad player.

The wailing is at full force now. Anything we do will be decried as failure. Rodgers could get Messi and some would moan Ronaldo was better and we could have got him.

Milner is a very good player. He will probably automatically become our best midfielder thus meaning we have improved our team. If you think Milner is a poor player then you're either deciding this from a very loaded position, or you've just not watched him play for the last bunch of years.

I'm happy with Milner, think he's a very good player and will do well for us providing he can keep fit.

The bit in bold though, Johnny...embarrassing stuff to actually write down

Do you not think people have a right to be feeling fucking miserable after losing 6.1 to Stoke; losing our talisman and retaining the services of our 2nd worst manager in 50 years?

I know I am

-------------Mignolet-------------

Clyne---Skrtel-----Sakho----Moreno

------Henderson----Milner---------

Coutinho------------------Markovic

---------Benteke---Ings-----------

Subs: Sturridge, Ibe, Lovren, Can, Rossiter, Balotelli, Jones

I think that's top four there. 

In Scotland, perhaps.

• Upvote 2

-------------Mignolet-------------

Clyne---Skrtel-----Sakho----Moreno

------Henderson----Milner---------

Coutinho------------------Markovic

---------Benteke---Ings-----------

Subs: Sturridge, Ibe, Lovren, Can, Rossiter, Balotelli, Jones

I think that's top four there. 

Got to hand it to you, that's a masterful troll.  Utter tosh, of course, but juuuust close enough to reality that people might assume someone else genuinely believes it.

• Upvote 1

I think I once saw Funeeee at Quadrant Park pretending he was a flying saucer.

Quadrant Park........ Just had flashbacks of a 1990 all nighter, glow sticks, flared jeans, dropping acid and getting a suck treat in the taxi on the way home at 5:30am from some loved up student who whilst riding me for all she was worth later that morning, snapped my banjo string and caused my to soak her mattress with pints of my blood.

Those where the fuckin days!

• Upvote 1

Having heard Rodgers is staying, Milner will probably give us a swerve. It's no good having the owners behind him, he's lost the dressing room.

How do you know?

Arsenal, Aston Villa etc but most of all fucking Stoke .Six fucking one. The most disorganized, unmotivated side I have ever seen in our strip.

The last team to score that many against us was when Jimmy Greaves tore us a new one in '63. I've only just got over that and Spuds were a half good team.

Fucking Stoke

Milner is a very good player. He will probably automatically become our best only midfielder thus meaning we have improved our team. If you think Milner is a poor player then you're either deciding this from a very loaded position, or you've just not watched him play for the last bunch of years.

Thanks are not necessary.

I'm happy with Milner, think he's a very good player and will do well for us providing he can keep fit.

The bit in bold though, Johnny...embarrassing stuff to actually write down

Do you not think people have a right to be feeling fucking miserable after losing 6.1 to Stoke; losing our talisman and retaining the services of our 2nd worst manager in 50 years?

I know I am

Really? It's like last season never happened. 

Fuck off FSG you useless cunts. How the fuck can Rodgers keep his job after wasting all that cash and overseeing that utter shit season?. You sacked Kenny Dalglish for winning a trophy and getting to a cup final yet you allow this clown to keep his job for delivering less.

Just as long as you can flog 5 times to death and all the day trippers turn up who's fucking arsed eh?. Our main summer target is a free transfer?. Fuck off you utter knobheads. Didn't even bother your fucking arses turning up to a club legends last ever game but still wanted to push the "everything is great at the club" propaganda.

Well, let's be fair to FSG.

The said they would have sacked Kenny, even if he did win the FA cup.

I think when winning 2/3 competitions you enter is a sackable offense, in the explicit words of the owners, then it's fair to conclude that trophies simply aren't a priority.

More made up nonsense.

In the last few pages alone we have 'FSG are fucking cunts", "FSG are fucking ballbags". Our team after signing Milner, Ings, Clyne and Benteke would be "no better than a shit Aston Villa"; a claim that Rodgers is only keeping his job because he's agreed to sell Sterling thus lining FSGs pockets and keeping them happy; and that Rodgers has lost the dressing room and so Milner won't sign. That's along with a number of other moans where Milner is now our 'marquee signing' despite the club saying nothing of the sort.

If you don't think that's wailing then you must have an amazingly high threshold for this nonsense.

In the last few pages alone we have 'FSG are fucking cunts", "FSG are fucking ballbags". Our team after signing Milner, Ings, Clyne and Benteke would be "no better than a shit Aston Villa"; a claim that Rodgers is only keeping his job because he's agreed to sell Sterling thus lining FSGs pockets and keeping them happy; and that Rodgers has lost the dressing room and so Milner won't sign. That's along with a number of other moans where Milner is now our 'marquee signing' despite the club saying nothing of the sort.

If you don't think that's wailing then you must have an amazingly high threshold for this nonsense.

Fuck off back to the MF?

• Upvote 4

Get over yourself you pretentious tit.
  • Upvote 2