You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Rodgers saying in an interview less than 24 hours before benteke signed that he 'didnt know what (the interviewer' was on about.'

Fucking hell, the whole world knew we were signing him by that time. I see van gaal is saying he does know why di maria isnt in his squad! does he not select his fucking squad then? And we all know why he's not in it.

The outright lieing in football know is a joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rodgers saying in an interview less than 24 hours before benteke signed that he 'didnt know what (the interviewer' was on about.'

Fucking hell, the whole world knew we were signing him by that time. I see van gaal is saying he does know why di maria isnt in his squad! does he not select his fucking squad then? And we all know why he's not in it.

The outright lieing in football know is a joke.

Clubs can't give a running commentary on deals in progress, Personally I preferred it when there wasn't an endless barrage of shite ,and agents feeding fueling speculation over transfers and we got am announcement when a deal was done . 

• Upvote 1

Clubs can't give a running commentary on deals in progress, Personally I preferred it when there wasn't an endless barrage of shite ,and agents feeding fueling speculation over transfers and we got am announcement when a deal was done .

Or footy pre sky in short.

• Upvote 1

Am I misremembering there being songbooks when I was going in the late 90s early 00s?

I had been to maybe a dozen games or so before I went up to liverpool Uni, when I was able to go most weeks and didn't miss a home game in all comps in the teble season.

The atmosphere was good (not a patch on the old days of the kop, I'm sure, but far better than now) and it seemed there was a want to bring back some older songs which had disappeared,

I'm sure as a result there were songbooks available.

I think its a good thing.

I get the idea of the signing section in the kop but I think it's possibly been counterproductive as it's almost more acceptable now that if you're not in or amongst them you're not expected to sing.

It also can be quite common that they snuff out other songs by starting their own - whether intentional or not I'm not sure - and generally the song they start is something like "liverbird upon my chest" which the vast majority don't know in full, so the effect is poor.

When I was 20something and going regularly for the first time, me and my mates made an effort to learn songs we didn't know, and it was great to hear them and sing along.

I'd say songbooks would be a great idea, £2 a pop, so the tourists get involved too.

Not like on a big screen, but not too far removed.

Never understood how for some, being a bunch of moaning, non-inclusive, bitter twats will achieve their aim of an improved atmosphere.

Aimed at me, those in the singing section or someone else?

I think the singing section was started with the right intentions. The atmosphere had already gone downhill but the bigger issue with it was not being able to go with your mates, so the ability to relocate - and offer those who I longer want to sing the opportunity to move somewhere else - was a good idea.

But I think the unintended consequences are a load more day trippers on the kop who even if they want to sing and be part of something - which I think most probably do - don't have the confidence to song songs they only half know (at best) as an isolated voice with little support around them.

I'm also going to add, I have no problem with karaoke YNWA on preseason yours to foreign lands.

The day it's needed at anfield will be a sad state of affairs but will also be indicative of the failures of fans and owners to pass on the traditions of the club. The amount of clapping half way through is fairly indicative of that already though.

No, just aimed at the irony of atmosphere whingers in general. They'd only be placated with time travel, it's futile.

Surely it depends where you're doing the whinging whether it's ironic.

I'd far rather the atmosphere was belting than the way it is now. If take 2001 over now where it wasn't always that loud but at least there were plenty of songs and decent variety. 60-70% of the kop stood up for "I am a Liverpudlian", etc.

You're right that only a time machine will achieve seeing the improvement, but so long as the whinging is outside the confines of the ground, the complaint isn't ironic. Futile perhaps, but not ironic.

Fair enough. I'm no expert, I don't go to games. I just read opinions on here and watch games on streams. I've long thought though that if a club is tangibly on the up, then the home game atmosphere is good. On the slide, the atmosphere worsens, and if you're Chelsea it's always shit.

Fair enough. I'm no expert, I don't go to games. I just read opinions on here and watch games on streams. I've long thought though that if a club is tangibly on the up, then the home game atmosphere is good. On the slide, the atmosphere worsens, and if you're Chelsea it's always shit.

That's a decent enough summary, but unfortunately what constitutes decent now is still quite shit in comparison to what is was even back then.

The one thing I miss about C&A is the after match protests. A good few thousand belting out songs in unison.

Graham Taylor - the head of a union who accepted £750k in hush money from Murdoch about a journalistic practice that his members were victims of. Just been given a pay rise of over £2m

Not even a pretence of morality in the modern game

Gordon.

• Upvote 2

Gordon Taylor used to hire the private upstairs dining room at a restaurant I used to go into and they spend half the night wandering around downstairs waiting for people to recognise him. Very few people actually did.

I do not understand what he does to justify a £3 million salary other than turn up and say, "No he didn't do it" whenever a footballer faces charges.

That's obviously other than Suarez. Gordon seemed quite convinced of his guilt no matter what he'd been accused of.

• Upvote 1