You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Why is this coming out now?

I would guess that it's so it isn't a distraction for the rest of the season with a will he leave, should he leave, will he stay, should he stay blah, blah, blah debate raging on. Get it out and known and then get on with trying to make his last season for us a good one and giving the lad the send off he richly deserves.

• Upvote 1

It's safe to assume Gerrard had a say in Rafas sacking, in much the same way Stevie said that he had a say in his appointment in his book.

My MO is to look out for the best interests of the club, and not individual players. We sacked a manager who took us to places that now we can only dream about. And that was against a backdrop of United winning everything, and Mourinho at Chelsea. We done fuuuuucked up.

He may well have been consulted about it as captain and said he wanted a change, but you were posting about him as if he'd led a months-long campaign to get Rafa out and swung the issue.

Rafa was a goner regardless of Gerrard's views. H&G wanted him out as they didn't want a manager who'd stand up to them, as evidenced by them appointing the patsy Hodgson instead of Pellegrini. Rafa overseeing an abysmal league campaign and a 7th place finish gave them the excuse they needed to pull the trigger. Gerrard could have pleaded with them to keep Rafa on and it would have made fuck all difference.

Anyway, it looks like you've finally got what you wanted after five years. I trust that come the summer you'll belt up about Gerrard once and for all.

It's safe to assume Gerrard had a say in Rafas sacking, in much the same way Stevie said that he had a say in his appointment in his book.

Did Gerrard help Rafa on his way, or did he simply articulate the chaos which afflicted the club in that final season?

Few can doubt Gerrard's place as the heart beat of the cub, he pre dates and post dates the G&H and Rafa era's. Gerrard is a professional footballer, and a manager who can mount title and CL challenges will have been alright by him.

During that final season Henry Winter produced a series of withering reports on the Rafa meltdown which were always well sourced. As the biographer to KK, Gerrard and Digger, he was better placed, and briefed, than any other journalist to pick up what was going on at several levels within the club.

Gerrard and KK were the ones who could provide the active information, and KK's appointment by Purslow reflected a closeness that continued whilst both were here.

What is certain is that the briefing machine was in overdrive driven from several sources, ask any contemporary journo.

My own view is that while Gerrard(and Carra) were exasperated with Rafa losing the plot, they were only stating the bleeding obvious, that the playing side was degenerating into a shambles. You can hardly blame Gerrard for that.

I'm genuinely sad about this, and while I don't believe he should be starting games at the club right now, but seeing someone who meant so much to me growing up leave the club is obviously something I don't want to happen. We can only thank him for everything he's done for the club and the great memories he's provided, just disappointed we couldn't win a Premier League medal with him at the club.

Did Gerrard help Rafa on his way, or did he simply articulate the chaos which afflicted the club in that final season?

Few can doubt Gerrard's place as the heart beat of the cub, he pre dates and post dates the G&H and Rafa era's. Gerrard is a professional footballer, and a manager who can mount title and CL challenges will have been alright by him.

During that final season Henry Winter produced a series of withering reports on the Rafa meltdown which were always well sourced. As the biographer to KK, Gerrard and Digger, he was better placed, and briefed, than any other journalist to pick up what was going on at several levels within the club.

Gerrard and KK were the ones who could provide the active information, and KK's appointment by Purslow reflected a closeness that continued whilst both were here.

What is certain is that the briefing machine was in overdrive driven from several sources, ask any contemporary journo.

My own view is that while Gerrard(and Carra) were exasperated with Rafa losing the plot, they were only stating the bleeding obvious, that the playing side was degenerating into a shambles. You can hardly blame Gerrard for that.

Henry Winter is a bad, bad mong. The hatchet job he did on Benitez about his father's funeral was a disgrace and the work of someone with ZERO integrity. That he wrote the opposite story about Pulis a year later is the measure of the man. From there everything else follows.

• Upvote 14

Feel this is good timing as it looks as if his powers are waning ( Not sure last season hasnt knocked the stuffing out of him a bit ) and the obvious solution of playing further forward but not as often seems to be beyond him and Brendan to sort out.

Have felt for a while now that the other players defer to Stevie too much ( who can blame them !! ) when he plays and feel it will be a decent chance for them to stand on their own two feet without his magnificent shadow.

If I was Brendan I would be looking for a dynamic DM in January and to use Stevie similarly to Lampard at City for the rest of the season.

It's a sad day for the club and for me as a supporter.

Second best ever behind Kenny i think

If he's set on leaving then there's not a lot the club can do but i can't help think that he could be used in a better way much like Lampard or Giggs

Either way the word 'legend' is used too much but it's entirely fitting for our captain

Feel this is good timing as it looks as if his powers are waning ( Not sure last season hasnt knocked the stuffing out of him a bit ) and the obvious solution of playing further forward but not as often seems to be beyond him and Brendan to sort out.

Have felt for a while now that the other players defer to Stevie too much ( who can blame them !! ) when he plays and feel it will be a decent chance for them to stand on their own two feet without his magnificent shadow.

If I was Brendan I would be looking for a dynamic DM in January and to use Stevie similarly to Lampard at City for the rest of the season.

hes had 2 full seasons now and refuses to address this ever growing elephant. no chance this will change.

The best player I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. Just sad for him that he played in some utter shite teams with some woeful players. He deserved to play in the great Liverpool teams if the 70s and 80s.

Think he needs a change of scene now, hope he enjoys his new challenge. All the best Steven and thanks for what you did for Liverpool Football Club.

• Upvote 3