You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Sad day for the club.  Massive wrench for Stevie.  Heavy heart for many fans.

Good luck to him in whatever he does.  True living legend and it's a crying shame he didn't have a few more with anything approaching a similar level of talent around over the years he's played for us.  We won't ever see another like him.  End of an era in more than one sense. 

• Upvote 5

Good luck to him in whatever he does.  True living legend and it's a crying shame he didn't have a few more with a similar level of talent over the years he's played for us.  We won't ever see another like him.  End of an era in more than one sense. 

all of that.  

Good luck to him. Great, great player - carried us many times and a true legend.

Arguably our greatest ever, certainly right up there....It's sometimes easy to forget just how good he was and how much he gave us.

Let him enjoy a couple of years in the sun, earning a few more quid, and playing in a league where he won't be exposed for what he is now, an ageing player past his best.

We will be a better team in my view without him. That said maybe a year of coming off the bench ala Lampard at City would have been alright, but if it isn't what he wants then fair do's.

Good luck to him in whatever he does.  True living legend and it's a crying shame he didn't have a few more with anything approaching a similar level of talent around over the years he's played for us.  We won't ever see another like him.  End of an era in more than one sense

Really? Care to elaborate?

Really? Care to elaborate?

I somehow suspect you won't understand and will just want to continue scoring cheap points about guff that could be discussed on the ex-manager's forum.  In other words, no - if I need to elaborate you clearly won't get it.

I somehow suspect you won't understand and will just want to continue scoring cheap points about guff that could be discussed on the ex-manager's forum.  In other words, no - if I need to elaborate you clearly won't get it.

It's an honest question. It's the end of an era in one way, obviously.

What are the others?

Think its for the best.

hes almost bigger than the club and you see the media reaction when hes left out.

this is probably the modt diplomatic way of ending it. Hes offered a contract but he politely turns it down and decides to leave in the summer. The club moves on a living legend without losing too much face, rodgers or whoever the manager is doesnt have the pressure to play him every game (although he probably will have to play him a lot between now and the end of the season) and stevie gets to say a long good bye. Sad day but a new day will dawn.

Im fucking gutted the boy looks to have decided to leave. I dont blame him one jot, despite the utter trash thrown at him by some on here, he's given everything to the club. Yes, he had a dailiance about chelsea but who hasnt been tempted about trading the missus in for a better model?

Its not gerrard's fault he has been the stand out player at the club for so long. Its not his fault other maybe more talented players have come and fucked off in their prime leaving him to be the player the fans and players look to for inspiration.

Yet for all that, fans of other clubs are amazed there is a groundswell of opinion to get him out of the club. Must admit I dont get it either. You dont dump a player out the team if there isnt someone not in it who can do better.

People were quick to say after the swansea game how we 'looked better' without gerrard. It didnt surprise me. You get the impression these people were just waiting for the opportunity.

So we won without him. I think the stats are we win a higher percentage of games without him than with him in the team. But that's stats for you. An unrepresentative sample of games without him skews the results.

Will we see a player as inspirational again? I doubt it because I think the club is in a really hard place now compared to the monied clubs not just in England but in Europe. There's now a league of 'super clubs' in football and much as it pains me, we arent one of them.

Any player like Gerrard wont be here as long before someone like city, bayern or the two spanish giants hoover them up.

As I said, Im gutted this day has come. Good luck Stevie.

• Upvote 1

I will.  A link between the local dyed-in-the-wool supporter and a world class scouse player playing for his home club team.  A little more of the club's identity is lost.  

You don't get it, I get that.  

Well done Stringy, you nailed the obvious one.

What about the others?

Genuinely gutted. Always hoped he'd do a Carra and finish his career with us.

Don't begrudge him his final day in the sun. Hope he enjoys it.

An absolute legend. Defo top five, probably top three to have ever worn the shirt.

I don't think we'll ever see his like again.

Absolute legend, one of our greatest ever players and it only seems like yesterday to old gets like me. I don't feel sorry for him, he's had a career that most can only dream of and it's been a privilege to watch him play and rejoice in particular at his spirit in Istanbul. Fucking great scouser and great player.

Well done Stringy, you nailed the obvious one.

What about the others?

I don't care about the others.  Though it might be the last time was see a world class player in a Liverpool kit for a long time.  I'm actually quite upset at the news - not because of Gerrard himself, though that is a blow, but more what he represents and has done for a generation.  That 'blood link' will be severed.   

Are you just forgetful or plain stupid?

Right, ballbag, go and find any kind of post whatsoever that links me to that term. Tonight is the first time I have ever even heard of it.

You're embarrassing yourself on a public forum with childish, petty and bitter proclamations.

I haven't posted on the FF for a long time because of idiots like you and the fact that you're still up to your nonsense is a sad indictment of yourself.

• Upvote 1

Steven Gerrard is the player every other club would want to have discovered and had playing for them these last 15 years or so.

Great attitude, great skill, great commitment, great representative for LFC.

Arguably he achieved more than you might have expected given a fair few of his Liverpool years were in less that great sides. He could and almost certainly would have won even more at one of the top European clubs of the day, but he stayed at Liverpool and still did them pretty proud.

I think he's made the right choice. Bowing out with dignity. What player of his calibre really wants to end his career as a bit part player, or knowing what to do in his head, but his body failing him? It'd be unfair on him, and on Liverpool. 

The guy is a class act. Probably the best English player I've seen in 30 years for all the attributes I mentioned previously. And whilst he may be the brunt of a few chants from opposition fans, I can guarantee you that any fan who knows anything about football can only applaud how good he's been.

Last of the Liverpool greats? I doubt it. But I think it could be a long time before a local lad compares with him. 

He'll be missed. But it comes to every great player. 

• Upvote 4