You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First choice right back

Pureblood

?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

I dont get why some people dont rate Flanagan, perhaps these people would have said the same about Alec Lindsay or even Tommy Smith as fullbacks?

Sure the modern game is 'different' but basically, a full back still needs to be able to defend. johnson cannot, Flanagan can.

Have to admit I was hugely disappointed to see johnson come on saturday. I just knew he'd be up to his old tricks of giving the ball away which he did.

I dont think Manquillo has done anything not expected of him. He's quick, gets forward, doesnt give the ball away cheaply.

Seems to me people just want the club to go out and buy a danny alves type fullback for mega money because that's the done thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I dont get why some people dont rate Flanagan, perhaps these people would have said the same about Alec Lindsay or even Tommy Smith as fullbacks?

Sure the modern game is 'different' but basically, a full back still needs to be able to defend. johnson cannot, Flanagan can.

Have to admit I was hugely disappointed to see johnson come on saturday. I just knew he'd be up to his old tricks of giving the ball away which he did.

I dont think Manquillo has done anything not expected of him. He's quick, gets forward, doesnt give the ball away cheaply.

Seems to me people just want the club to go out and buy a danny alves type fullback for mega money because that's the done thing.

I'm hardly a Sky generation supporter, and I think people wailing that we haven't spend 30 million on everyone are supporting a different sport to me frankly, the certainly don't get how football actually works.  The team should always win out against a load of talented individuals.  

For me, Flanagan still has to prove his decision making and positional awareness - particularly at RB.  

fyi... Lindsay was a class LB - we actually paid what was decent money for him in those days. 

Smith was class too, though not really as a fullback

• Upvote 1

I nearly forgot to vote.

Flanagan all the way, the lad was brilliant for us last season & has it all in front of him.

Manquillo - hit the ground running but has since looked a bit careless with the ball, however he can run all day & is another one who will only get better.

Johnson - there's a very good right back in there somewhere but he's not been at the races for a long time & doesn't looking interested in being so, get rid of him & his ridiculous wages pronto.

Manquillo and Flano are full time not-Glen Johnsoners, so either of those.  Probably Flano, because I enjoy him flying into tackles, winning the ball and clattering the man.

The one thing I don't understand about Johnson, and this is coming from somebody who has always defended him and rated him, is when/why did he start to run into people instead of going round them?  I can't even remember when it started, but he does it every single fucking time.

I'm hardly a Sky generation supporter, and I think people wailing that we haven't spend 30 million on everyone are supporting a different sport to me frankly, the certainly don't get how football actually works.  The team should always win out against a load of talented individuals.  

For me, Flanagan still has to prove his decision making and positional awareness - particularly at RB.  

fyi... Lindsay was a class LB - we actually paid what was decent money for him in those days. 

Smith was class too, though not really as a fullback

Flanagan is what, 20, 21? He's going to make mistakes but even so, I dont see him making as many mistakes as johnson or, as a reason to say he isnt good enough. And sorry, but I disagree that his decision making and positional awareness is lacking.

Lindsay was a fantastic buy for 65 grand if I remember right.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Flanagan is what, 20, 21? He's going to make mistakes but even so, I dont see him making as many mistakes as johnson or, as a reason to say he isnt good enough. And sorry, but I disagree that his decision making and positional awareness is lacking.

Lindsay was a fantastic buy for 65 grand if I remember right.

You may be right, it's only my opinion I'll be happy to revise it if he does well when he gets the chance.

Lindsay was 60 or 65K from Bury - not a snip in those days, but he was a cultured player - one of my favourites when I was a young scal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Flanno is way better technically than people give him credit for. It was the same with Carra too. It seems that if you're Scouse and uncompromising then your technique must be questionable for some people.

Maybe it has nothing to do with where you come from? Maybe people just don't agree about his technique.

• Upvote 4

I think he's highly overrated by us. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?

The fact is, he gets skinned regularly, no matter how "uncompromising" he may be, and he is deeply average going forward. But Manquillo and Johnson are not really all that better. (Johnson going forward is another overrated skill, given his unerring ability to cut inside and lose the ball 100 times a game.)

• Upvote 1

Flanagan is our best player since Dalglish. 

Johnson is our worst since Lucas. 

Manquillo is fine. 

Anyone who has genuinely voted Johnson seriously needs help. Or maybe needs to watch our run-in last season. I can't forgive him for completely not giving a fuck. 

Flanagan is our best player since Dalglish. 

Johnson is our worst since Lucas. 

Manquillo is fine. 

Anyone who has genuinely voted Johnson seriously needs help. Or maybe needs to watch our run-in last season. I can't forgive him for completely not giving a fuck. 

He did seem to save his best efforts for moaning at the fans on twitter.  He showed some commitment there.

Its very close between Flanno and Manquillo for me. They both have different strengths and weaknesses, but they are both work in progress and will develop at different rates and form will hit at different times.

One thing's for sure it's not that fraud Johnson. He's one of those classic defenders that becomes massively over rated because of the odd sexy goal. Goals add value to any player and is seen as an extra bonus for a defender, but he just can't defend.

• Upvote 2