You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I hope Lovren might be able to sort out Johnson by giving him a bit of a a shout during games. Arguably Johnson getting shitter could be because we lost Carragher last season (Although he was going that way before)

Johnson has been equally shit regardless of who was next to him, and what they shouted at him through the game. His main problem is the disparity between his best and his average. Such a wild swing in form must make it a nightmare for a manager to choose whether to go with him or not.

Johnson has been equally shit regardless of who was next to him, and what they shouted at him through the game. His main problem is the disparity between his best and his average. Such a wild swing in form must make it a nightmare for a manager to choose whether to go with him or not.

There are wild swings of form in the same game. He can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of ten minutes.

• Upvote 1

I'd agree in years past but go further than that with Johnson. The real problem last year was little change in his form, it was mostly down at his lower end and I don't recall seeing him play anything beyond ok when he infrequently rose above that.

I've been pinning my slender hopes on his being in the shop window magically reviving him this season, but that is admittedly based on the assumption it was an attitude/motivation problem last year.

If he's just gone physically rather than mentally, even that potential small mercy will be stripped away.

There wild swings of form in the same game. He can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of ten minuted.

There is very little of the sublime these days or even the odd goal

His attacks down the right cause us more problems than the opponents because most teams that have done their homework know he almost always loses the ball and if they set up YP counter down the left they can pull our CBs out if the middle and create space in front of our goal

We ideally need two decent FBs before we bring in anyone else

• Upvote 1

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by our signings. Lots of potential in all of them but no one can say if they'll become top class players. I'd rather buy established players who have proven quality. The only one we tried buying who falls into that bracket was Sanchez.

Lambert is average and isn't going to get better and Lallana and Lovren will increase the quality of the squad but will not really improve the starting 11 at all IMO. Markovic, Can and Origi are all ones for the future despite costing a huge amount between them, I don't see them making an impact this season.

The situation with full backs is a huge area of concern which doesn't seem to be getting addressed and we have't brought in anyone who can come close to replacing Suarez. So we are still 3 big signings away from being able to challenge for the title. Hope Rodgers has a few aces up his sleeve before the window shuts otherwise this season won't be as fun as the last one.

• Upvote 1

I'd agree in years past but go further than that with Johnson. The real problem last year was little change in his form, it was mostly down at his lower end and I don't recall seeing him play anything above ok when he infrequently rose above that.

I've been pinning my slender hopes on his being in the shop window magically reviving him this season, but that is admittedly based on the assumption it was an attitude/motivation problem last year.

If he's just gone physically rather than mentally, even that potential small mercy will be stripped away.

He still had that angry look about him early on in the pre season game, the one were he seems pissed off and moaning to the ref over small decisions, without firing up his individual play, I find it incredibly hard to watch and have wished him desperately back to form but it's gone on for a long stretch.

Flanno stepping up and/or new right back as a replacement is what I would like to see happen ideally.

Now we really have to sell some of our CBs (Agger, Coates?) as we have 7 (Lovren, Sakho, Skrtel, Agger, Toure, Ilori, Coates) and only one LB and two RBs. I haven't included Kelly as I don't even know if he'll play for us again? Moreno links still on? Any other strong links? 

I think people are underestimating the positive effect Lallana could have and overestimating how well Markovic and Can might immediately settle into a new league.

We should pay a bit over the odds and just get Moreno in if the manager really wants him.

And there's every chance an attacker as explosive as Sturridge will miss a few weeks at some point for a muscle strain or tear. As it stands, Lambert or Borini steps into his place. That's not good enough.

• Upvote 3

I think people are underestimating the positive effect Lallana could have and overestimating how well Markovic and Can might immediately settle into a new league.

We should pay a bit over the odds and just get Moreno in if the manager really wants him.

And there's every chance an attacker as explosive as Sturridge will miss a few weeks at some point for a muscle strain or tear. As it stands, Lambert or Borini steps into his place. That's not good enough.

Can has come from the Bundesliga and looks a really good, and physically capable, footballer. I see no reason at all as to why it would take him long to settle into a new league.

Markovic may take a few weeks of getting used to being booted in the air by alehouse cunts, but he's fucking rapid, and very skilful, so he'll soon be taking the piss.

I generally don't really buy the "settling into a new league" argument. Usually the player is just shit, or it had far more to do with tactics not suiting the player.

It is, after all, the same sport.

The only hope I hold for Johnson is if Lovren plays RCB; he tends to head to the ball in wide areas more than Skrtel, so maybe Johnson would be less concerned about getting skinned and stop simply showing players to the inside and letting them cross. Straw clutching?

Yes, and frankly I don't want our centre backs having to baby sit the fullback on their side because it'll probably make the job of the other centre back much harder.

Yes, and frankly I don't want our centre backs having to baby sit the fullback on their side because it'll probably make the job of the other centre back much harder.

True, but that's the state of our defence, it's a domino effect of factoring in weaknesses. On the other hand, if Johnson assumes there might be someone behind him covering there's the slimmest chance he could just find his ability to tackle again. Like the cowardly lion, it was in him all along.

I'm still straw clutching.

There seems to be more movement on Borini leaving this morning in several media outlets. If he does go, and it has to be permanently, then I cannot imagine us getting rid of Suarez, Aspas & Borini and replacing them with just Lambert. As someone said earlier, if we had got Sanchez I still think we would have purchased another forward/attacking player. If we do not get two attacking options then you do have to wander what the strategy for replacing Luis was/is.

Two new full backs are also a must. Preferably not including a third choice LB from Chelsea.

as it stands....

.................................Mignolet

Flanagan .......Lovren...........Sakho..........Enrique

.................................Gerrard

..............Hendo...........................Lallana

.....Sterling...............Sturridge.................Coutinho

Reina

Johnson

Toure

Skrtel

Agger

Markovic

Can

Lambert

I'm happy. 

Add Reus, Messi, Turdseye's maa and Jonah Lomu to that squad and we are fucking rocking 

There's probably an agreement between the owners and Rodgers and the committee that we won't spunk the Suarez money on a player unless Rodgers thinks he's really worth it. Fingers burnt, etc. I also believe that top players are sceptical about coming to us at the moment, but hopefully all that will change when we've proven that we're not a flash in the pan/a one man team next season or by January.

Can has come from the Bundesliga and looks a really good, and physically capable, footballer. I see no reason at all as to why it would take him long to settle into a new league.

Markovic may take a few weeks of getting used to being booted in the air by alehouse cunts, but he's fucking rapid, and very skilful, so he'll soon be taking the piss.

I generally don't really buy the "settling into a new league" argument. Usually the player is just shit, or it had far more to do with tactics not suiting the player.

It is, after all, the same sport.

There are obvious exceptions, but I think a new country and a new culture - footballing and otherwise - can weigh heavily on a lot of young players. And at 20 years of age, they're both still pretty raw and will make mistakes. And even though they've come from reasonably big clubs, I don't think either of them will have experienced anything quite like the bearpit that the derby is, or, at the risk of falling into cliche, a horrible trip to Hull or Palace two or three days after a European game. It's a steep learning curve.

Moreover, the expectation and scrutiny that our colossal fanbase and resulting media attention impose can add a few extra pounds to a young player's shirt. It's easy to bottle it, overthink things or just try to hard. It took somebody like Jordan Henderson a long time to get the balance right.

I hope you're more right than me, and it would appear Rodgers is gifted in iinstilling confidence and focus in younger players, but I think there's a chance they'll struggle initially. That's not to say they won't improve rapidly and play a major part before the season ends.

• Upvote 1

I watched an interview with Brendan about the new signings yesterday, he was talking about the character of the players being a main factor in whether we sign them or not. He said that when Markovic was travelling back to Europe to get his VISA, he was on the plane with one of the people that work for Liverpool, just as a chaperone. Markovic insisted the staff member took his first class seat as he sat in economy class. Thats just one example of what he's talking about, Can donated £50,000 to Alder Hay as well in his first week here.