You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

He's been solid since he's come back from injury and he is undoubtedly a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins.  Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to wipe the shit out of their eyes.

He should be offered a new contract, but it'd be daft to repeat the mistake of offering him - or anyone but the world-class game-changers - stupid money.  That means that the offer from the club would be "We want you to continue what you're doing, but we want to pay you significantly less."  I don't think you have to be an obscenely greedy person to be less-than-enthralled by such an offer.

So, yeah, I think we should offer him one, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept it.

So he is "undoubtedly a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins" ( I must have missed all those posts endorsing that view) ,but  we should aim to retain him with a lesser contract whih he will refuse?

He's been solid since he's come back from injury and he is undoubtedly a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins.  Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to wipe the shit out of their eyes.

He should be offered a new contract, but it'd be daft to repeat the mistake of offering him - or anyone but the world-class game-changers - stupid money.  That means that the offer from the club would be "We want you to continue what you're doing, but we want to pay you significantly less."  I don't think you have to be an obscenely greedy person to be less-than-enthralled by such an offer.

So, yeah, I think we should offer him one, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept it.

Undoubtedly is stretching it mate but he has played quite well since his return. I'm far from his biggest fan, I don't doubt his ability I just don't trust him to defend properly when its required. In saying that I think the best solution from a footballing and financial point of view is to keep him for another year. The money we would receive for him is pittance so no point in selling him for that reason, he will be 31 when his contract expires, if he's still playing well give him another year at his current rate.

No brainer for me. We need to add to the squad for next season not weaken it by by getting rid of Johnson. 

As for wages, the club will be £20+m better off from the improved TV deal and, if we make the CL group stages, a further £20-30m better off from that.

There's a reason why we are in with a shot. It's not because we have great, championship quality defenders, it's not because we dominate the midfield, and it's not because our strength in depth; we are in with a shot because we have a top class attack and a manager who plays to our strengths. We shouldn't mistake having a team challenging for the top because of the attack with our fullbacks, DMs, and CBs being high quality. As any West Wing watcher will warn you, Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.

Just like many of our players, Johnson hasn't been performing consistently well enough for an aspirational top club for quite some time. Just because we've done well with Cissokho in the team, it doesn't make him good enough.

What a load of shite. Our team is a match for any other in the division.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

My mistake. No, wait, it's not. It's yours. As per usual. I stick by my statement that it's not our rock solid defence or midfield domination that have us in with a shot, but our world class attack.

Seriously, if you think it's not our attack, but rather Flano or Lucas or Agger or Allen or Cissokho or Toure who is responsible for us being up there, I think you've lost your marbles. Assuming you had any in the first place.

What he is saying is each player isn't the best in their respective positions. Our defense is weak and needs adjusted. Whether thats new players or try and find a consistent back line to stick with until the end of the season is another thing. I think our defense is underperforming given the personel but there are better fullbacks around than we currently have.

• Upvote 1

What he is saying is each player isn't the best in their respective positions. Our defense is weak and needs adjusted. Whether thats new players or try and find a consistent back line to stick with until the end of the season is another thing. I think our defense is underperforming given the personel but there are better fullbacks around than we currently have.

There aren't many around better than Glen (when he's not injured).

I know what Numero's saying - that our players aren't very good apart from up front.  Which is obviously bollocks, as the league table shows.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I know what Numero's saying - that our players aren't very good apart from up front.

If that's what you take from the post you quoted you clearly have no idea what I'm saying, you deranged lunatic.

Seriously, if you think it's not our attack, but rather Flano or Lucas or Agger or Allen or Cissokho or Toure who is responsible for us being up there, I think you've lost your marbles. Assuming you had any in the first place.

All of those players have played their part. It's a team sport. I know that the concept is hard for you to grasp.

All of those players have played their part. It's a team sport. I know that the concept is hard for you to grasp.

But if we had any other strike force in the league we definitely wouldn't be challenging. It's Suarez and Sturridge that are doing it for us. Obviously not completely unaided, but they've really done amazing things this season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Is it, though? Is it really a tough concept for me to grasp or is it just that it's something totally different to the point I was making? You see, I'm not saying they've not played their part. I'm not saying it's not a team sport. I'm saying the reason we're in with a shot of the title is not because of Cissokho it's because of Suarez and Sturridge and the quality of our attack, probably three or four key players from a squad of 20 odd. Which is quite obviously true.

But if we had any other strike force in the league we definitely wouldn't be challenging. It's Suarez and Sturridge that are doing it for us. Obiously not completely unaided, but they've really done amazing things this season.

They have indeed been amazing. The supporting cast haven't been bad either. No point having one without the other. Sturridge doesn't deserve a winners medal any more than, say, Gerrard or Skrtel do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But if we had any other strike force in the league we definitely wouldn't be challenging. It's Suarez and Sturridge that are doing it for us. Obviously not completely unaided, but they've really done amazing things this season.

There are two options here. 1) He's a fucking spastic who can't see his keyboard for his own dribble, or 2) he's being deliberately obtuse because somewhere along the line I've said something about one of his favourite players and he got all offended. Either way, it's just a bit strange to deny the obvious.

Is it, though? Is it really a tough concept for me to grasp or is it just that it's something totally different to the point I was making? You see, I'm not saying they've not played their part. I'm not saying it's not a team sport. I'm saying the reason we're in with a shot of the title is not because of Cissokho it's because of Suarez and Sturridge and the quality of our attack. Which is quite obviously true.

No, it's quite obviously complete bollocks as is the norm for you.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No, it's quite obviously complete bollocks as is the norm for you.

Fine. Sell Suarez and Sturridge. Cissokho'll win us the title next year.

You've got something on your chin there, Mart. I think it's dribble.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In fairness, do we have any other fullbacks at the club capable of better?

Erm... probably not. I'm not making an argument for him not to play. Just that we need somebody better coming into the club.