You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

Heard he had it rough growing up with his mum raising him and his siblings on her own and at one point they were homeless. Not saying we should give him loads of cash because of this (I don't want us to keep him) and granted he'll probably never have to work a day in his life if he retired tomorrow, but I can see why money would be a key factor for someone who grew up with nothing well into his teenage years. 

Heard he had it rough growing up with his mum raising him and his siblings on her own and at one point they were homeless. Not saying we should give him loads of cash because of this (I don't want us to keep him) and granted he'll probably never have to work a day in his life if he retired tomorrow, but I can see why money would be a key factor for someone who grew up with nothing well into his teenage years.

Or it could teach him to appreciate the living he's currently having, and compare this situation to when he had nothing and was struggling. If he's solely motivated to be at Liverpool because of money, then that's not the type of players we need. Yes, I understand everyone wants to earn more, and be valued at a company, but if you're motivation to perform is based around factors such as money, then will he be motivated to go that extra yard when needed?

• Upvote 2

Or it could teach him to appreciate the living he's currently having, and compare this situation to when he had nothing and was struggling. If he's solely motivated to be at Liverpool because of money, then that's not the type of players we need. Yes, I understand everyone wants to earn more, and be valued at a company, but if you're motivation to perform is based around factors such as money, then will he be motivated to go that extra yard when needed?

I don't disagree chief, I'd move him on even if he was willing to take a paycut, I think we can improve on him, but I can see why someone would be motivated by the money in that situation. 

I wonder how much Suarez's new contract motivates him to stay at Liverpool. Like it or not money plays a huge part. Its easy to highlight players out of form and their contracts.

"Ultimately the strain of three injuries — the most concerning being a torn ankle ligament — became too great and he was forced to take five weeks off before returning to action last Saturday.

‘It was mentally tough because I want to perform how I’m used to and know I’m capable of doing, but my ankle was blocked so much that I couldn’t run properly. I couldn’t move it more than 90 degrees so when I was running I was basically limping.

‘Brendan was aware of the injuries but he was asking me to do a job for the team and every footballer wants to play.

‘At first I could play with the injuries but it got to the point where across all three it was affecting my performance and it was time to stop. Now I feel miles better. I’ve got that flexibility back in my ankle and I can run properly.’"

• Upvote 2

"Ultimately the strain of three injuries — the most concerning being a torn ankle ligament — became too great and he was forced to take five weeks off before returning to action last Saturday.

‘It was mentally tough because I want to perform how I’m used to and know I’m capable of doing, but my ankle was blocked so much that I couldn’t run properly. I couldn’t move it more than 90 degrees so when I was running I was basically limping.

‘Brendan was aware of the injuries but he was asking me to do a job for the team and every footballer wants to play.

‘At first I could play with the injuries but it got to the point where across all three it was affecting my performance and it was time to stop. Now I feel miles better. I’ve got that flexibility back in my ankle and I can run properly.’"

Reading that makes me regret some of the harsh comments I've made about him. He certainly looked a lot better in an England shirt last night than he has for months.

Echo today.

James Pearce: Don't be surprised if Glen Johnson is on his way  

6 Mar 2014 08:18

ECHO's Liverpool reporter on Johnson's future

Glen Johnson has only confirmed what we already knew – that Liverpool have yet to open discussions with him over a new contract .

Brendan Rodgers recently told the ECHO that he wanted to keep Johnson at Anfield but insisted there was no rush to deal with the issue.

The manager pointed to the fact that Steven Gerrard reached the final year of his contract last summer before penning an extension.

Johnson’s future represents a dilemma for Liverpool. Rodgers doesn’t want to lose that wealth of experience but there is no way the Reds’ owners would be willing to match his current terms of around £110,000 per week.

Johnson is one of the club’s highest earners but he turns 30 later this year and has struggled for both form and fitness this season.

Unless Johnson would be willing to accept a hefty pay cut, it’s hard to see him penning a new deal.

Liverpool won’t want to risk losing Johnson for free in 2015 so if the current situation remains it would be no surprise if he’s sold this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
I think its clear now glens poor form was down to injury, now he is fully fit he is back to what he was, the best rb in the premier league.

I dont care what he gets a week frankly, he is a top class player who has been loyal and needs to be signed up to a new long term deal.[/quote

Yeah, like 1 decent game changes everything. Bet you loved Voronin too. I'm sorry but he'll have to do it until the Newcastle game for me, a run of form he's never really achieved.if he does I'll hold my hands up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's been solid since he's come back from injury and he is undoubtedly a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins.  Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to wipe the shit out of their eyes.

He should be offered a new contract, but it'd be daft to repeat the mistake of offering him - or anyone but the world-class game-changers - stupid money.  That means that the offer from the club would be "We want you to continue what you're doing, but we want to pay you significantly less."  I don't think you have to be an obscenely greedy person to be less-than-enthralled by such an offer.

So, yeah, I think we should offer him one, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't accept it.

• Upvote 1

Liverpool defender Glen Johnson in Real Madrid's sights Real Madrid prepare to capitalise on Liverpool’s delay in offering Glen Johnson a new contract by making a summer bid
glen-johnson_g_2860563b.jpg
Real deal? Liverpool and England defender Glen Johnson is out of contract at Anfield in the summer Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By John Percy

10:30PM GMT 22 Mar 2014

comments.gif7 Comments

Real Madrid are considering a summer bid for Glen Johnson as the Spanish giants prepare to capitalise on Liverpool’s delay in offering the defender a new contract.

Johnson is emerging as a realistic target for Real at the end of the season and Carlo Ancelotti, the manager, has been alerted to the uncertainty over the England international’s future at Anfield.

Liverpool held preliminary negotiations with Johnson over a year ago but have suspended further talks until the summer, when the 29-year-old will enter the final 12 months of his contract.

The club’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, are reluctant to pay players lucrative deals when they go beyond their 30th birthday and Johnson is unlikely to be offered significantly more than the £110,000 a week he currently earns.

Ancelotti is in the market for a new right-back, with long-term doubts over Alvaro Arbeloa, and is weighing up a £5million bid for Johnson with the offer of a new challenge in La Liga.

There is also understood to be interest from rival Premier League clubs, with Arsenal set to target a right-back as they face the prospect of losing Bacary Sagna to either Galatasaray or Inter Milan.

But Real’s interest in Johnson is growing and the chance to join world record signing Gareth Bale in Spain could appeal to the former Chelsea defender.

Liverpool, on course to end their long exile from the Champions League, are prepared to discuss a new deal but their decision to delay talks leaves them open to the risk of losing him.

Earlier this year Johnson admitted: “I’ve loved every minute of the five years I’ve been here and I’d love to stay but really the only truth in it is that I’ve not been offered a new contract on any level.

“No-one has come to me from Liverpool at all. I don’t know the situation the club are in or if they want to renew it. So I’ve not got a decision to make other than to see my contract out because no-one is telling me any different.”

He's been solid since he's come back from injury and he is undoubtedly a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins. Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to wipe the shit out of their eyes.

Yeah, he's undoubtedly(?) a major reason we're enjoying a run of wins. Don't know how this shit got in my eyes.

• Upvote 1

But Real’s interest in Johnson is growing and the chance to join world record signing Gareth Bale in Spain could appeal to the former Chelsea defender.

Yup. Working with Ancelloti, Ronaldo & Alonso pales into insignificance in that light... Bizarre.