You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2014

DanDanShaw

Well im shocked

The fraud that is Kell Brook has announced his latest fight.

Mexican Alvaro Robbles 17-2 never fought for a world title, never fought outside of Mexico. Not ranked in the top 15 by any of Fightnews, the ring, WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO

• Upvote 1

Secured tickets to the Mayweather v Maidana fight in Las Vegas in May last night. Totally buzzing. Flights and hotel (MGM Grand) already booked. Can't wait.

Enjoy mate it's class out there on fight night also go the weigh in they are worth going too,I can't wait to get the chance to go again,my sons have booked this September on the date hopefully Mayweather will be boxing again.

• Upvote 1

Disappointed with how the Canelo fight went. At the very least, it was meant to promise action and it didn't end until 6, either, which was ridiculous. 

I hope Gomez and the rest of Canelo's team stop shielding him so much. It's in the sports best interest to have a young, power-punching, hispanic attraction around, but not at the cost of impending his development. I have a lot of time for him, but his career has been a choreographed sham up to this point with his bullshit diet of blown-up welterweights and light-middleweights who were either well past their prime or totally shot. The only real fight he had was with Trout and given the open scoring, that was, at best, largely fraudulent.

It would be nice to think he may fight Lara, who I think is the light-middleweight in the world, but that's probably reaching. I imagine it will be a stay-busy fight as they wait to see if Martinez looks bad enough that they think he's ready for the taking, or a Cotto MW title fight.

I think Canelo's career has been perfectly measured up to the point of the Mayweather bout, even the Angulo fight was a great comeback fight for him. I love the way Mexicans have about 30-40 fights before they start fighting big fights, usually turning pro at about 16 years of age. British fighters go over to America when they're 15-20 fights to the good and it's no coincidence they often get exposed in the process. If he would of avoided Mayweather his ascent would of been perfectly matched all the way, likewise with Chavez Jr except for the Martinez fight.

It's not just Barrera, Morales and of course the archetypal example of this philosophy Julio Cesar Chavez. Tyson followed a similar gruelling early schedule of fighting once or twice a month to great effect, as the ancient proverb goes "steel sharpens steel". A continual gradual ascent in calibre opponent is what you need, golden boy matching a 22 year old Victor Ortiz against Maidana (25 wins 24 KO's) after fighting Arnaoutis, or Cleverly fighting Kovalev after fighting virtual nobodies, that's the real sham.

Disappointed with how the Canelo fight went. At the very least, it was meant to promise action and it didn't end until 6, either, which was ridiculous. 

I hope Gomez and the rest of Canelo's team stop shielding him so much. It's in the sports best interest to have a young, power-punching, hispanic attraction around, but not at the cost of impending his development. I have a lot of time for him, but his career has been a choreographed sham up to this point with his bullshit diet of blown-up welterweights and light-middleweights who were either well past their prime or totally shot. The only real fight he had was with Trout and given the open scoring, that was, at best, largely fraudulent.

It would be nice to think he may fight Lara, who I think is the light-middleweight in the world, but that's probably reaching. I imagine it will be a stay-busy fight as they wait to see if Martinez looks bad enough that they think he's ready for the taking, or a Cotto MW title fight.

Many good boxers have never been the same after a one sided loss (Prince Nazeem - Don Curry - Jeff Lacey)on an unbeaten record so Canelo showed real maturity for a kid is age on Saturday,as for shielding having putting him in with Mayweather showed they weren't doing just padding out his record for as long as they could,the kid is a talent and he's only 23,he can only box who's put in front of him as he did at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

Many good boxers have never been the same after a one sided loss (Prince Nazeem - Don Curry - Jeff Lacey)on an unbeaten record so Canelo showed real maturity for a kid is age on Saturday,as for shielding having putting him in with Mayweather showed they weren't doing just padding out his record for as long as they could,the kid is a talent and he's only 23,he can only box who's put in front of him as he did at the weekend.

I don't think putting him in with Mayweather proved that at all. The reason you try to protect an undefeated fighter's record is so you can trade off that "0" and draw crowds and PPV money. It's a means to an end. And a fight that grossed $150m was that end.

If anything the Mayweather fight, in which a lot of people think he lost every round, made it clear that he hadn't been properly prepared by his previous opponents. That's not surprising as he spent 2012 fighting a 40-year-old Mosley who hasn't ever won a fight a light-middleweight and Josesito Lopez, who was a fringe contender and career light-welterweight. For a former titlist with 45 fights, his record is really poor.

I don't agree either that he can only fight who's put in front of him. He's Golden Boy's biggest star and on Saturday he walked away with 80% of the profits from the event. He makes the decisions. He can choose to fight who he likes, I'm pretty sure he chose the Mayweather fight, or he can choose to let others inflate his record.

I think he has a lot of talent and long thought of him as a future pound-for-pound mainstay, but I think his career has been illusory and will continue to be that way for the next year. I think that's a bad thing for the sport.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10603244/juan-manuel-marquez-fight-mike-alvarado-17

When Mexican star Juan Manuel Marquez was an unknown fighter on the way up in the 1990s -- long before he would go on to win world titles in four divisions, establish himself as a future Hall of Famer and engage in a historical four-fight series with Manny Pacquiao -- he was a regular on cards at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif., once a boxing hotbed.

Now, after years of dormancy, the Forum is getting back into boxing and Marquez, one of its favorite sons, will headline the first card at the newly refurbished building when he takes on former junior welterweight titlist Mike Alvarado in a welterweight world title elimination bout on May 17 on HBO, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.

Both fighters have agreed to terms, Arum said, and the winner of the bout, to be contested at a maximum contract weight of 143 pounds, will earn a mandatory shot at the winner of the April 12 rematch between Pacquiao and titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr. 

"Besides the fact that this is a tremendous fight between two exciting fighters, the thing I like most about it is the historical significance," Arum said. "They spent a lot of money refurbishing the Forum and it brings back memories of all the great fights that took place there, like when Muhammad Ali fought Ken Norton there [in their 1973 rematch, which Arum promoted]. Marquez is a guy who earned his bones there. The Forum is where he established himself and this is going to be a great homecoming for him.

"I've been in this business for so long and, to me, the history is important. I'm really thrilled for my company to be re-opening the new Forum for boxing."

In 1995, in the 10th fight of his career, Marquez began fighting regularly at the Forum for the now-defunct Forum Boxing promotional company. It was there where he built his reputation and went from unknown prospect to big-time contender. The 40-year-old Marquez fought there 12 times in all.

"I think this fight has a lot of story lines," Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said. "It's at the Forum and it will be raucous, and we know Marquez's history there. And, obviously, when the bell rings it'll be a hellacious fight where neither guy will back up."

Marquez and Alvarado, 33, are both coming off defeats, which adds to their urgency to win this fight.

On Oct. 12 in Las Vegas, Marquez (55-7-1, 40 KOs) lost a split decision challenging Bradley for his title, one fight after Marquez scored a massive one-punch knockout of Pacquiao in their fourth battle. One week after Marquez lost to Bradley, on Oct. 19, Alvarado (34-2, 23 KOs) lost his 140-pound world title in front of his home crowd in Denver when Ruslan Provodnikov stopped him in the 10th round of a bruising battle.

"Mike is so excited. We have been training already for three weeks. Marquez has always been on our radar and he is the one we always wanted to fight," said Henry Delgado, Alvarado's manager. "This fight is our redemption to all of our fans. Mike knows how important this fight is. We plan to relocate our training to Los Angeles this weekend. What a fight with such a reward -- to fight the winner of Pacquiao versus Bradley.

"This is really an incredible opportunity. We will be fully prepared to fight Marquez on May 17."

Said Moretti, "I think you'll see a more motivated and focused Mike Alvarado. He knows he has to perform well in this fight after the loss at home and it's also a very dangerous fight for Marquez."

Although Marquez had said that he was not interested in a fifth fight with Pacquiao, Arum said he changed his mind and would fight him again as long as Pacquiao defeats Bradley next month. The reason is because it would mean an opportunity to win a world title in a fifth weight class -- no other Mexican boxer has done that -- and he has said that is important to him. And if Bradley beats Pacquiao, it would mean a rematch for Marquez and a chance to not only win the belt but also to avenge a loss.

"Marquez wants to win that title and that's an incentive for taking this fight with Alvarado, because he knows he will get that opportunity if he wins," Arum said. "So if it's Pacquiao, he said he would fight him again, and if Bradley wins, well he wants that fight too. And if Mike wins, he certainly will be a good opponent to fight Bradley or Pacquiao, whoever wins.

I don't think putting him in with Mayweather proved that at all. The reason you try to protect an undefeated fighter's record is so you can trade off that "0" and draw crowds and PPV money. It's a means to an end. And a fight that grossed $150m was that end.

If anything the Mayweather fight, in which a lot of people think he lost every round, made it clear that he hadn't been properly prepared by his previous opponents. That's not surprising as he spent 2012 fighting a 40-year-old Mosley who hasn't ever won a fight a light-middleweight and Josesito Lopez, who was a fringe contender and career light-welterweight. For a former titlist with 45 fights, his record is really poor.

I don't agree either that he can only fight who's put in front of him. He's Golden Boy's biggest star and on Saturday he walked away with 80% of the profits from the event. He makes the decisions. He can choose to fight who he likes, I'm pretty sure he chose the Mayweather fight, or he can choose to let others inflate his record.

I think he has a lot of talent and long thought of him as a future pound-for-pound mainstay, but I think his career has been illusory and will continue to be that way for the next year. I think that's a bad thing for the sport.

Just picking up on your point that Alverez has a really poor record,you are a Fan of Golovken so compare his last 5 to Alverez'

Angulo

Mayweather

Trout

Lopez

Mosely

Golovken

Adama

Stevens

Macklin

Ishida

Rosado

If you think Mosley was poor the fella Golovkin boxed a 33 year old Ghanain (22-4)was much worse now who is Alverez to box in your opinion Martinez/Cotto they' re past it so there is Lara who Angulo dropped twice and Alverez outclassed Angulo,Chavez jr who struggles to make the weight then there is Macklin/Lee/Murray who he would school.

So who is he running scared of and hiding from,as for the 0 record the kid could of steered clear of Floyd and racked up the wins.

Alverez has boxed the best boxer in the world and I dont see Goloveken shouting anyone out he hasn't even boxed the top kid in his weight Petef Quilin.

I am using Golovkin ad a example because he is new rising star aswell.

I could suggest Sean Porter or Timothy Bradley as possible opponents but you would say they're pumped up Welterwieghts and are to small so Golovken could be the ideal opponent but Alverez would still beat him.

I have to laugh at the way the make Brook out to be a up and comer(Watt has  just called him world class).

He is 28 in May and has barely foiught a true top 10 opponent.Now fighting a chinny twat that isnt in any top 10 ranking