You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

v Hull - New Years Day

Paco

Decent performance, positive result. Hopefully we can rest a few for the Oldham game and aybe we'll have Sturridge back for Stoke. That won't be an easy game but it's the kind we need to win if we're going to stay in touch with the top 3.

Our midfield was good until Gerrard had his jog, but then again, this was probably a good game to give him some minutes without much pressure. But for the ref bottling it big time this would have been 5-0. We won, controlled the game, I don't know if they had a single shot at our goal. I'm happy with this stuff.

Agreed. Lucas and Henderson controlled the game fairly well.

Phew, what a relief! I feared a draw or worse, given that fathead has the indian sign over us, the manc cunt.

A big positive is seeing Suarez back in business and I liked how Sissokho played today.

Coutinho needs to get a few extra shooting session under his belt, he's been gash in that department for a while. With the bitters lucky to get a draw today and the mancs losing at home to spurs, a very good day of football it is!

I'd like to see Alberto given a couple of goes as the central midfielder playing closest to Suarez, his finishing seems a lot better than Coutinhos.

Odd situation with Alberto, seems like either he's a shit trainer or he's mouthing off and has an attitude, but he's just being given a chance despite him being a Rodgers signing.

• Upvote 1

This FA cup game is vital for Aspas to get going. If he cant produce something against Oldham then there's not much hope for him.

I'm still optimistic about him, but i can understand why many have less than positive opinions.

I'm not. Aspas is an empty shirt. He will not be here next season.

• Upvote 1

Given the circumstances, an opponent who was out to break our players' legs, a referee who was on a mission to butcher us and stop us from winning, a referee who turned a blind eye on criminal fouls repeatedly on Suarez, an atrocious challenge on Stirling and a ball kicked on the head of Henderson while he was down fouled, then I'm very satisfied with the result.

But this situation with the referees cannot continue any more. It appears that the FA does not want to allow us to challenge anything. Again and again mistakes against us. The club needs to act somehow.

Overall what is positive this season compared to previous ones is that we get goals from our defenders. Cissokho was really good today, especially defensively. He has started to acclimatise and now he can prove his quality. He can be a good permanent addition.

Finally, I'm usually very very very supportive with Liverpool players. In fact I very rarely criticise any of them. But Aspas is simply out of his depth. I warned many of you who branded him as our new Michu to look back to his CV. He played one season in Primera Division and the rest of his career was in lower leagues and never represented his country at any level. The signs were there. But not all signings can be a success. On another note, Assaidi looks promising.

BIG win.

We continue to beat up the dweebs, that's all we need to keep doing. We've had no luck go our way over the last two games and to be honest I thought we got rag all off that spineless twat with the whistle today either.

But we've become accomplished at winning these games at Anfield and I thought we were functional today and won without too much of a fuss. We should have stuck at least 4 on them because Coutinho and especially Henderson should be scoring.

The only real negative I can think of is Aspas. I'm afraid he's a dud. He's nowhere near the pace of this league and he never will be.

Very pleased with this result as there was always a danger we'd go a bit off the boil after the tough fixtures we've had, the thin squad and the two straight losses and getting nothing from the refs.

Took character to turn it around like we did today, and now we have two full weeks to regroup for Stoke. Need Allen back soon though, Aspas is really struggling and it seems more and more clear that Gerrard is not suited to a CM role the way Rodgers wants us to play.

Phew, what a relief! I feared a draw or worse, given that fathead has the indian sign over us, the manc cunt.

A big positive is seeing Suarez back in business and I liked how Sissokho played today.

Coutinho needs to get a few extra shooting session under his belt, he's been gash in that department for a while. With the bitters lucky to get a draw today and the mancs losing at home to spurs, a very good day of football it is!

You like players who stand on the touch line avoiding play as much as possible?  Then when there is no other possible alternative for the player with the ball, receiving it and passing it straight back to where it came from...?

It took an acre and a half of space in front of him to lure him into actually participating in the game in the second half.  His foul throw (that wasn't given) then subsequent hoof into the Kemlyn made me actually think we could be looking at a candidate for one of the worst players to wear the shirt.

I hope I'm wrong.  Brendan obviously wants to give him a go rather than switching Johnson and putting in Kelly, but I have to say it's been a terrible, terrible start by this man.

• Upvote 1

Professional job without any real issues. It wasn't anywhere near our best  but nor was it the clusterfuck I feared it could be. Hull never gave us any real trouble and despite playing with a half-fit Henderson, a tired Coutinho and Suarez and Aspas, we never looked like losing. Credit to the players for just getting the job done after a couple of hard losses and injuries to good players. 

Fair play to Steve Bruce for playing along with the Kop and Suarez when ballooned a free kick over the bar. Also notice Suarez applauded the fans after he scored his goal and he had his name chanted, he doesn't normally do that.

Best player was probably Agger but he and Skrtel were on a par, it was just that Agger got the goal. Sterling looked a threat and Cissokho was solid. Aspas though... hoo boy, he stunk the place out. You can't put a legitimate argument across about why we bought him and sent Borini out on loan. 

Good to see Stevie back and hopefully he'll get an hour against Oldham on Sunday, which we should use as a chance to rest a few players and get healthy for the game away at Stoke (where we've not won in the league) the following Sunday. 

Job done, Reds.

• Downvote 1

This FA cup game is vital for Aspas to get going. If he cant produce something against Oldham then there's not much hope for him.

I'm still optimistic about him, but i can understand why many have less than positive opinions.

Someone who does not seem to have the slightest bit of talent cannot 'get going'. 

He look so terribly out of his depth I almost feel sorry for him, makes Erik Meijer look like a cultured footballer. 

I'd like to see Aspas get a run of games, but not for us. It would be different if he was 20, but he's fucking 26. He's just a lot of effort and no quality to go with it. If we paid over £7 million for him someone needs a telling to as he isn't even worth half of it.  How the hell are we going to get rid of him? He's playing with the number 9 shirt ffs. That's just mental.

Someone who does not seem to have the slightest bit of talent cannot 'get going'. 

He look so terribly out of his depth I almost feel sorry for him, makes Erik Meijer look like a cultured footballer. 

I actually see talent in Aspas, unfortunately for him though he's just off the pace here. Almost everything he does or tries to do is at least half a step too slow for this league, especially with the way we're playing now. Most of the times I've seen him for us I can see what he was trying to do but I can also see that he never had a chance of doing it when he tried it. Like others have said if he was younger then we could give him time but he's 26 and should be moved on for his own sake as much as for ours.

Watching Hull resort to kickboxing raises the hard man question. I think we need one desperately - the refs simply are not protecting our players, particularly our best and most valuable asset. Once we got up 2-0, maybe at 80', somebody should have planted his studs into Bruce's kneecap. Maybe he'd get a red card for his troubles, but the violence against our players would start to ease.

But maybe we should just keep hoping that the refs will see the light, the way that Souness and Ronnie Whelan used to.

I actually see talent in Aspas, unfortunately for him though he's just off the pace here. Almost everything he does or tries to do is at least half a step too slow for this league, especially with the way we're playing now. Most of the times I've seen him for us I can see what he was trying to do but I can also see that he never had a chance of doing it when he tried it. Like others have said if he was younger then we could give him time but he's 26 and should be moved on for his own sake as much as for ours.

I feel I'm being a bit hard on him, but he's just out of his depth in this league. The only good thing is his attitude unfortunately.

Suarez makes the players around him better. Henderson and Sterling's play have improved quite a bit in the last 5 games. Give Aspas some significant time with Suarez and his play will improve, too.

If it was last season or two seasons ago I would agree, but we don't have any time for that now.

I watched the full (ish) highlighted on Football First last night:

I don't see where this Aspas bashing is coming from.  Yes he's rusty, yes he's probably nervous as fuck because it's basically his debut all over again, and yes he's a bit unfit, but all in all I thought he was pretty fucking decent.  He tracked back, won the ball a couple of times, then showed great pace when putting defenders under pressure, and he did a couple of intelligent touches.  Get off his back please.

All round, great display from the reds yesterday.  I didn't think the fouls on Suarez were life-threatening, but all the same they were shit.  Like I say, we let ourselves down by not crowding the referee and shouting for a red card.  The Mancs and Chelsea have done it for years, that's how you get the opposition sent off, and if we can't be arsed to do it then we shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't happen.  I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's how things get done.

I'm not worried about Coutinho's shooting, or Henderson's.  I think, on another day, they go in.  It could have been 4 or 5 nil, and Hull aren't a shit side anymore, they're mid table and above Swansea and Stoke and Villa and West Brom, and we shat on them despite being knackered.

I want to see Aspas and Suarez and Sterling start again against Oldham, with Henderson, Alberto and Lucas behind them.  I'm just not seeing a place in this side for Gerrard.  Even Coutinho's set pieces have been better than Gerrard's.

I think Kelly for Johnson is also necessary, and then give Brad Smith a run out as left back with Toure and Skrtel in the centre.

• Upvote 1

Ive got questions over aspas attitude and desire and on ability so far he is not good enough.

We havent heard nothing from him about not playing and I was putting this down to him being a good professional but Im starting to question whether he is just happy getting his paycheck.

Any interviews you see with the guy he looks like he is as happy as he could be and youd think he was a first team regular, also by the way he acts when he gets on for 10 mins, he goes around the pitch swapping shirts with a big smile on his face when he contributed nothing.

The tunnel cam after the city game where we lost shows him waiting outside the city dressing room to swap shirts with a smile on his face, I could be wrong but I feel he may not have the right mental attributes to play at a club like ours.