You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Surely you can see that whilst it would have some short term effect the breeds would simply be replaced.

Do you think it would suddenly eradicate the desire of complete twats to possess a dog that they can use as a weapon?

There are over 300 breeds of dog. At least half of them could be trained to eat your hands.

You probably could train 150 types of dog to eat someone's hand, but it's the same types of dog we hear about attacking people all the time.

I'm not convinced people are training dogs to eat people's hands anyway so that's not really an issue to my mind.

It is a fucking ridiculous question, in fact it's one of the stupidest questions I've ever read on here. You can't just ' breed ' tame leopards, you can try and raise a Leopard tame but it's wild by nature. Dogs have been domesticated for circa 5000 years, you think someone is just going to breed tame Leopards in no time at all? And what would be the reason to even attempt to breed tame Leopards? Most big dogs were bred as working dogs, and they have also been bred to be subservient to humans. You raise a dog the right way and you will have no problems with it at all. Because, as I keep saying, they are fucking domesticated. How about you read some basic stuff on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication rather than just spout your usual generalisations all over the place.

Rottweilers also primarily herded cattle and protected them. That is what they were bred for.

It's not really the most ludicrous argument you've ever seen on here is it, it's just that you like big dogs and can't think of anything sensible to say, so are becoming irate and personal. If this was Nebraska you'd be giving it the 'cold dead hand' bollocks. There's some awsomely daft arguments on this very thread in fact 'yeah but you could choke on a hamster'.

What about circus animals then? You can train a bear to dance, why can't we all have dancing bears? Would that take 5,000 years? How come domestctaed pets become ferral when there's no humans around to feed and water them? Former warzones are full of wild dogs, why aren't they on the lookout for new owners instead? The idea that domestication and breeding is some sort of exact science with an animal is just plain daft.

My nan and granndad has a mid sized dog who I loved the bones of, grew up with her, she got shit on my nan's bed once and I shouted at her to get down. She went apseshit and started barking at me, she'd not done that in the previous 14 years we'd had her. I just left her in the room to calm down, but I proper shit myself. It was probably a combination of her age and the fact she was ill and feeling vulnerable, but it crossed my mind that if she'd gone for me I'd at least have been able to fend her off, if she'd been a Staffie I'd have been fucked, domesticated or not. These are not complex creatures, and at their heart, when the shit hits the fan, their most natural instinct is to bear their teeth. I loved that dog like family, but that isn't enough to blinker me to that one simple fact.

It's not really the most ludicrous argument you've ever seen on here is it, it's just that you like big dogs and can't think of anything sensible to say, so are becoming irate and personal. If this was Nebraska you'd be giving it the 'cold dead hand' bollocks. There's some awsomely daft arguments on this very thread in fact 'yeah but you could choke on a hamster'.

What about circus animals then? You can train a bear to dance, why can't we all have dancing bears? Would that take 5,000 years? How come domestctaed pets become ferral when there's no humans around to feed and water them? Former warzones are full of wild dogs, why aren't they on the lookout for new owners instead? The idea that domestication and breeding is some sort of exact science with an animal is just plain daft.

My nan and granndad has a mid sized dog who I loved the bones of, grew up with her, she got shit on my nan's bed once and I shouted at her to get down. She went apseshit and started barking at me, she'd not done that in the previous 14 years we'd had her. I just left her in the room to calm down, but I proper shit myself. It was probably a combination of her age and the fact she was ill and feeling vulnerable, but it crossed my mind that if she'd gone for me I'd at least have been able to fend her off, if she'd been a Staffie I'd have been fucked, domesticated or not. These are not complex creatures, and at their heart, when the shit hits the fan, their most natural instimct is to best their teeth. I loved that dog like family, but that doesn't blinker me to that one simple fact.

Er no, it's just that you hate big dogs and can't think of anything sensible to say. Easy this.

No, that's just more bollocks and lazy generalizations from you. I'm becoming ' personal ' because I can't believe I'm having a argument with someone that owning a Rottweiler is the same as owning a fucking Leopard. You apply an experience you've had to every dog, and every circumstance. The dog barked at you because you ' barked ' at  her first by shouting at her.

Owners who are cunts are the biggest problem, you can train any dog to behave around humans, it's not even hard to do either and it's in their nature to accept man as their owner. You can't do that with a wild animal, there would be a much, much higher rate of people getting attacked if it was tried. Same if you tried to tame a wolf, it just isn't going to happen as they are wild at heart.

Incidentally you've discussed this with Zig earlier in the thread about your nans dog barking at you, and his response is something I broadly agree with as I've stated above.

Firstly you've begun with an incorrect assumption about me, and then you've simplified and ignored the development of dogs as social animals over millions of years. I can't argue with that, because you've obviously pre-formed your conclusions.

One thing though; you started barking at the dog first, but you probably hadn't established your place in it's hierarchy, so all you were doing is threatening it. It would likely have ran away before trying to bite you if you had escalated that threat though.

But why should the dog obey someone who it doesn't have an established relationship to, especially when that person is threatening them? Dogs know who is in charge because that person eats first and then gives them their food. They are pack animals.

I'm fairly sure if someone you thought had no right to started shouting at you to do something, your response would be similar and yet you wouldn't classify yourself as just a big hairless ape.

As for circus bears and the like, seriously? You're demonstrating ignorance on the subject and since you appear to have no inclination to educate yourself on it, what's the point in carrying on this absolutely ridiculous debate.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

They are complex creatures, Secsh, but surely you see the massive difference between leopards, bears, or whatever, and dogs? Not only in their wild/tame difference, which is huge, but also in their make-up. Are some more dangerous than others? Of course, even the most ardent of dog lovers (which I'm not, [something about stronts here]) would agree with that. What doesn't do the argument justice, in my opinion, is bringing in wild cats and other wild beasts into the equation. It waters down the anti-dangerous dog arguments, I'd say.

If you have a big dog you accept the risk, when it's in public you transfer that risk to anyone around you. I'd ban them but if you muzzle it when it's out then I suppose that's ok. But if it's not muzzled there should be a two strikes rule and then destruction.

Also anything over a few kilos should have mandatory insurance.

I like dogs myself but dont own one.

I think people who own dogs are not critical enough and believe people are talking about 'their' dog and get very defensive and think its personal.

My Nan had a dog when I was a little baby and young kid and he was ultra protective of me despite me being a bit scared of him for being so.

All dogs are capable of attacking humans no matter how well trained.

Phasing out dangerous breeds won't work. You'll just find the current, pussified dogs will start getting all cocky all of a sudden because the hard dogs have all gone. It's like when the fifth years used to leave at school.

This post should be in the 'world of a woman'

thread

I don't know dog laws but what about punishing the owners for the dog's behaviour? If it bites someone, that's assault and the owner would be charged accordingly. Any killings would be a manslaughter charge etc.

From that Guardian article a few pages back:

Legal changes were made earlier this year to permit prosecutions for a dog attack on private property. Maximum prison sentences were increased from two years to 14 years for a fatal dog attack; from two to five years for injury; and three years for an attack on an assistance dog. 

There is a risk associated with any dog, but that risk is affected by breed and training. I haven’t yet felt threatened by a Chihuahua.

I was staying at a friend’s farm a few weeks ago when two of their Staffies attacked each other, blood and ripped skin everywhere, parting them was very difficult. The Staffies are well trained, exercised, and looked after. My friends have three children under five, a tragedy waiting to happen.

Similarly, owners who let their dogs chase cats in a way that forced neighbours to keep them indoors,

No chance. If there was a cat constantly crapping on my garden i've every right to either kick the thing or let my dog ( if i could get her too*) chase it. Cat owners who allow their cats to poo everywere should have their faces buried in said excrement. 

Now, if i can just get this farmer to stop his sheep shitting on the drive.... 

*This stupid mutt would allow the cats in her kennel on her bedding whilst she sat outside in the teaming rain. 

My dog is a cocker spaniel and he really likes staffies and I think he would know best. He loves kids but doesn't like huskies, Muslims in full niqab gear or disabled people.

My auntie had an English bull terrier when I was a lad who was a soppy cow and a lovely dog with the family. She still accidentally bit a couple of fingers off a guy delivering leaflets who put his hand through the letterbox.

Ours barks at black people, Asians and anyone in a wheelchair/on crutches.  We were at the beach with friends for a whole day in the spring, hundreds of people had been back and forth past us, not a sausage.  Late on one Chinese guy walked past in and among a whole crowd of whites and she all but started howling at the moon. 

I just put it down to the other half being from South Africa, dogs are incredibly intuitive.

The most dangerous thing about dogs is fucking useless owners who think they're some sort of macho or fashion statement, cant control them and let the dog 'think' its actually the boss in the home.

Ive had dogs all my life. Most of them have been GSDs and not had an issue with one.