You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Cole: Liverpool move was a mistake - ESPN FC

Joe Cole admits his decision to join Liverpool in 2010 was a mistake, claiming his only other option was an unthinkable move to Tottenham.

Cole, 31, spent two-and-a-half years as a player at Anfield but failed to become a regular in the first team, being sent out on loan to Lille last season before rejoining his boyhood club West Ham in January.

The England international says he never felt comfortable at Livepool but was forced to take up the only offer that appealed to him.

"I can only play for teams that I'm passionate about and I think that's what went wrong for me at Liverpool," Cole said. "I didn't feel a connection with the club or the place that I had at Chelsea and West Ham.

"I had seven great years at Chelsea but the club wanted to go in a certain direction and I wasn't involved. So I was left with two real options - Liverpool or Spurs.

"Spurs was probably the best option because they were offering me a five-year deal and it meant I could stay in familiar surroundings.

"But I just couldn't do it, I just couldn't see myself pulling that Spurs shirt over my head. With the rivalry between Spurs and West Ham and Chelsea, it felt a bit mercenary."

Cole believes the mentality at Liverpool made it difficult for him to settle in, with their insistence on being known as the "biggest club in the country" catching him off guard.

"When I joined, the guy interviewing me said 'you've joined the biggest club in the country' and reeled off the trophies they'd won," he said. ""I just said 'yeah, if you put it like that, I suppose you're right' and Liverpool used that as the headline to the interview.

"I didn't want to upset anyone so I just went along with it. But obviously they're not the biggest club in the country any more. How do you judge how big a club are? Nottingham Forest won the European Cup twice but they're not a bigger club than Chelsea."

Although issues with match time plagued Cole at Chelsea, he seemed more motivated to break into the Blues' line-up than he did at Liverpool.

"I rolled in at Chelsea on my first day thinking 'I'm going to be a big part of this club'," he added. "Then Sebastian Veron walks through the door with about five agents. Same position as me, costing three or four times as much.

"As soon as I signed, (former owner Ken) Bates said to me: 'Congratulations, son, you've joined to sit on our bench'. I just thought 'I'll show you' and a year later I was playing regularly and Veron was off."

And his decision to return to Upton Park was not only buoyed by an unhappy stint with the Reds.

"I was missing London and my family and I had a personal tragedy in December when my brother-in-law died. I got an opportunity to go back to West Ham and I don't want to move any more."

Guest San Don

That's poor from cole, it really is. I thought he was going to be a good signing if Im honest. Thought he was unlucky to be atkinson's victim in his first home game for us but those comments are piss poor.

I mean what fucking club doesnt put loaded or even pre scripted questions to new signings? And if you think spurs was the best fit, you should have had the balls to sign for them rather than someone who you dont 'feel comfortable' with.

I really suspect most of those comments are just a smoke screen to cover the fact that he didnt deliver at Liverpool, whatever the reason. He reckons he doesnt celebrate goals against former clubs. I just hope he doesnt get chance to withold any celebration against us.

So he joined us when he didn't really want to, admits he wasn't motivated, and didn't settle in because he didn't like the questions asked of him in his initial offal interview?

HOW ABOUT SOME OF THAT MONEY BACK THEN YOU USELESS FUCKING SLACKJAWED WINDOW LICKING TURBOMONG.

I just couldn't see myself pulling that Spurs shirt over my head. With the rivalry between Spurs and West Ham and Chelsea, it felt a bit mercenary.

Says the cunt who spent 18 months of his 2 and a half years with us sitting on his fucking arse collecting a hundred grand a week. Fucking leech.

So he joined us when he didn't really want to, admits he wasn't motivated, and didn't settle in because he didn't like the questions asked of him in his initial offal interview?

HOW ABOUT SOME OF THAT MONEY BACK THEN YOU USELESS FUCKING SLACKJAWED WINDOW LICKING TURBOMONG.

That's pretty much it, the word 'professional' springs to mind. He's conveniently overlooking that he was a bit part player at Chelsea for several seasons because he's been shit for years. Just a desperate attempt at avoiding responsibility with a lame excuse.

Fucking prick

Why even bother coming out and saying stuff like that? "it didnt work out" would have been fine

He was fucking shit, spent his whole time huffing and puffing with his hands on his hips and had plenty of chances/time to improve.

I hope he gets booed when he returns to Anfield.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Well as the old saying goes.....if brains were dynamite,Joe wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off!

None to bright this bloke....so bollox to him!

I understand that previous Liverpool management and coaching staff considered Cole to be a bit brain dead. He was incapable of understanding tactics and could turn off during games. His natural ball playing skills were of no value to a team because of his inability to stick to arranged team structures.

Best for him and, more importantly, best for us that he goes to a club where he can impress the natives with his fading ball skills and and his ability to read a comic silently without moving his lips.

With what he was getting paid from us and the inept performances he delivered when he did manage to huff and puff onto the pitch. That's possibly as disrespectful as any former player has been about our club that I can remember.