You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

I picked one up on ebay a few years ago, mainly to attend a sporting event on cold winter evenings.

I saved quite a bit getting it second hand, watch out for fakes as they're useless.

I wore it a few weeks ago, I was really warm while others shivered around me, I think I will be wearing it tomorrow too. It's like wearing a large duvet, or like being hugged by a really warm and friendly bear.

It depends what you need it for, I wear mine a few times a year as it's just not practical or needed at any other time. I think it should last me a very long time at that rate and be more than worth the cash i spent.

Guest davelfc
Apparently they are a bit too warm my mate said, although it gets a bit cold I think they're more suited to extreme cold in the same way Canada Goose are.

The Mcmurdo that is.

I couldn't recommend them for the UK if you're moving around, you'd sweat your bollocks off. But the odd very cold night sat still for a few hours with a cold wind blowing in, well it's like a little slice of heaven just sitting there all warm and toasty.

Guest ShoePiss

I'm really glad there's no stigma attached to wearing north face clobber here as if you actually do enjoy the outdoors and the extreme weather you might encounter they produce brilliant stuff; great materials, functional designs.

The North Face stuff is fine. Never let me down, but I find their coats, specifically outer layer waterproofs a bit shit.

I had a pair of approach shoes, boss. Ace fit, comfy, a pair of old mates. The quarter zip fleeces also boss for all weathers. Day sacks are a bit lacking in options and small. Gloves poor stitching.

I've had coats and waterproofs of theirs, found them wanting. Hoods fit a bit shit, too big and not fitted. They fit a bit generous and don't allow great movement due to a poor cut. The coats don't vent or breathe well either. But then gore tex doesn't, polartec is where its at as far as that goes.

But to be fair I'm a fairly serious walker/rambler so out grew their out layer stuff. It's fine though, honestly priced, performs fine.

Guest ShoePiss
The North Face stuff is fine. Never let me down, but I find their coats, specifically outer layer waterproofs a bit shit.

I had a pair of approach shoes, boss. Ace fit, comfy, a pair of old mates. The quarter zip fleeces also boss for all weathers. Day sacks are a bit lacking in options and small. Gloves poor stitching.

I've had coats and waterproofs of theirs, found them wanting. Hoods fit a bit shit, too big and not fitted. They fit a bit generous and don't allow great movement due to a poor cut. The coats don't vent or breathe well either. But then gore tex doesn't, polartec is where its at as far as that goes.

But to be fair I'm a fairly serious walker/rambler so out grew their out layer stuff. It's fine though, honestly priced, performs fine.

My NF ski coat with zip in fleece is superb, whether that's 8000ft in -12C on Mt.Hood in blizzard conditions in winter or hiking up Mt.St.Helens in summer. My hood fits perfectly....when I'm wearing a helmet which is by design. It also has a radar reflector which is nice seeing as a few of the places I ski use such a system.

Rambling? Just wear jeans.

My NF ski coat with zip in fleece is superb' date=' whether that's 8000ft in -12C on Mt.Hood in blizzard conditions in winter or hiking up Mt.St.Helens in summer. My hood fits perfectly....when I'm wearing a helmet which is by design. It also has a radar reflector which is nice seeing as a few of the places I ski use such a system.

Rambling? Just wear jeans.[/quote']

Jeans, Fuck that, I've done the Ghurka challenge, three peaks and many others. I was in -15 only a few weeks ago.

North Face is fine. But the jackets are limited. I have a 66 North. Boom!

Guest ShoePiss
Jeans, Fuck that, I've done the Ghurka challenge, three peaks and many others. I was in -15 only a few weeks ago.

North Face is fine. But the jackets are limited. I have a 66 North. Boom!

Haha I obviously have the wrong impression of rambling, I think of old people, wax cotton jackets and tartan flasks of tea or bovril, oh and wooden walking sticks.

Wait, isn't Rick parry in a rambling society?

Haha I obviously have the wrong impression of rambling, I think of old people, wax cotton jackets and tartan flasks of tea or bovril, oh and wooden walking sticks.

Wait, isn't Rick parry in a rambling society?

I'm with ShoePiss on this, no way is 'serious walker' the same as 'rambler.' That's like saying running is jogging. Tell that to Mo Farah

I like my North Face coat. The inner part is a light jacket by itself, the outer part is a gore-tex windproof and waterproof layer. Doing it this way means you can use it for three seasons if you wish. When all zipped together it is too hot for most of the year, apart from during winter. We recently had about - 28C here and you need something serious if you are going out in that.

I bought one from the shop in town a couple of weeks ago (a slightly darker green than the one in the picture above) as it was a third off. It replaces a 12 year old Ralph Lauren one I've worn to death and, as is probably obvious, is a much better coat. It's really fucking warm, but also completely waterproof, has loads of pockets (both inside and outside), is fleece lined around the neck and is nice and long.

It was still a lot of money but as I envisage getting more than ten years wear out of it, I was happy to pay it. It works for the match, for camping and also for more serious walking. Clearly it might not be the best for the arctic, but as I don't live in the arctic or have any intentions of doing so, I'm more than happy with the "limitations" of my coat.

I'm with ShoePiss on this' date=' no way is 'serious walker' the same as 'rambler.' That's like saying running is jogging. Tell that to Mo Farah[/quote']

I'm not worried about labels. And I don't consider Rambler a pejorative term. I know some do. I'm not a member of the Ramblers, but that more to do with I like my own or close friends company when walking. I could see it would be a good resource.

They are different things, but I do both.

Most weekends Me and the Missus go for a ramble, exploring local paths around the South Downs. Thats rambling to me.

The next weekend I might do a 30 miler with alone or with a few mates, either on the Downs, Lakes, Peaks or Dales. That's walking.

I'm not worried about labels. And I don't consider Rambler a pejorative term. I know some do. I'm not a member of the Ramblers, but that more to do with I like my own or close friends company when walking. I could see it would be a good resource.

They are different things, but I do both.

Most weekends Me and the Missus go for a ramble, exploring local paths around the South Downs. Thats rambling to me.

The next weekend I might do a 30 miler with alone or with a few mates, either on the Downs, Lakes, Peaks or Dales. That's walking.

Fair dos. Maybe rambling sounds too much like shambling or bumbling. In my head it just sounds a bit like the people that put on their walking gear for walk round Ambleside.

Speaking of trips, we got ourselves booked into the White House for our trip to Brighton, me winning over the other couple's Jury's shout...so I can get the blame if its no good

Fair dos. Maybe rambling sounds too much like shambling or bumbling. In my head it just sounds a bit like the people that put on their walking gear for walk round Ambleside.

Speaking of trips' date=' we got ourselves booked into the White House for our trip to Brighton, me winning over the other couple's Jury's shout...so I can get the blame if its no good[/quote']

The Whitehouse, I've heard good things, never been though.

Jurys Out is next to the station, I would say handy for town, but most places in Brighton are anyway.

Courtesy of one of the links you gave me.

Boutique Hotel Brighton - The White House - Brighton.

When you down Champ? I live very close so have vistors parking permits for the immediate on-street parking in that area (Zone C), so can send you what you need. The hotel will sell you them for probbaly a fiver or tenner a day, but we'll be hopefully moving house soon so will have some sapre you can have.

How does North Face stuff fit?

Being a fat get, I struggle to get into decent clobber as most clothing brands dont like fat fuckers advertising their gear.

Superdry is a classic example. I bought the wife a Superdry jacket for her birthday and our lad has one. They kept telling they're the best jackets they've had upto now. I went and tried an XXL size and it was like wearing a boa constrictor! Cue fat man getting angry and sulking all day.

Clearly it might not be the best for the arctic, but as I don't live in the arctic or have any intentions of doing so, I'm more than happy with the "limitations" of my coat.

I wasn't having a go and I hope you didn't think I was. I wasn't specifically talking about the model at the top of the thread that you'd bought anyway, I have no experience of owning one of those and could see they would be good for cold weather. I tend to layer up as I use if for the outdoors and often, giving greater flexibility if I become hot, cold or wet.

My experience is that the lighter, outer waterproof layers are good, but they have their problems. As I say the hoods are a bit big for me, the cuffs on their entry level either not adjustable or a small amount of velcro meaning they slip a bit and the waterproofness not as good as others on the market. I do tend to do a great deal of walking so get the benefit from a coat that is more cut and get the benefit from the addtional freedom of movement. If anyone goes in for entry level waterproof jacket between £60-100, I would suggest looking at Berghaus. I had one of theirs it was superb, till some shyster robbed in in the pub.

As for the next step up, eg Gore Tex, over £100 to £180 ish, I think their stuff is fine and good honest stuff for the money and compares well enough to others at that price range.

But then so much of it will be personal choice and lets face it, we often buy a jacket as much for how it looks than it performs. So there will always be that subjective element. As their stuff goes I do like how it looks over many others, so can see why loads of people buy it.