You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

Calm down.  That is not Davie junior.  I have had a many a laugh with/at Davie junior as a friend of mine taught him.  He's a nice lad.  A shocking bitter blue, but a nice lad.

It's obviously the poster's mate's lad.

Badly phrased post ends in internet hate shocker.

I just don't really care what Mourinho's strengths are.  He's just an attention-seeker who's somehow managed to make his way to adulthood while retaining the essential nature of a spoiled 3-year old.  He is repulsive in every way, and though he's something of an idiot savant as a football manager (ignoring the fact that every job he's had since Porto has basically been with the richest club in the league) he's so distasteful as a man that I don't can't stomach any discussion of his strengths or "good side."

In Mourinho's case, I just have no patience for shades of grey.  The man is darkened pitch on an inky, ebony background in an unlit room.

Agreed.  I HATE it when people say about Mourinho, "Yes, but he's a great manager".  Or when you're rightfully laying into a horrible player, they say "Yes, but he's successful."

Like that's relevant.

Rommel was a "great manager".  Pol Pot was "successful".

For those that like to observe "balance" in a discussion on personality traits.

Unless you are genuinely willing to sag off supporting the club if we have a horrible manager or player in our ranks then I don't think dismissing the likes of Mourinho as being horrible, while true and satisfying, is particularly insightful.

Unless you are genuinely willing to sag off supporting the club if we have a horrible manager or player in our ranks then I don't think dismissing the likes of Mourinho as being horrible, while true and satisfying, is particularly insightful.

Not sure if anyone on here cares - but there are some extracts from a new biography on Mourinho in todays Times - and they make him look bitter, vindictive, and a shitbag.

I find him interesting, much as you might find Rommel or Pol Pot interesting. Then again, I know a lot of Reds have no interest in football beyond the Reds. I remember going to an away day (Derby in 2002) with James Carroll, formerly of Shankly Gates and now working for the official site) and he genuinely couldn't give a Solsjkear about events beyond Anfield.

From the Times.

In an extract from the explosive new book, The Special One, Real Madrid players are accused of betraying team secrets by a raging José Mourinho
The presence of a mole at Real Madrid worried Mourinho so much that between 2011 and 2012 he ordered two sweeps of the hotel where the team stayed to search for hidden microphones. The investigations were unsuccessful. The Sheraton Mirasierra was apparently clean.
The control of information was another thing that deeply exercised Mourinho; he assigned a group of people to carry out a daily analysis of everything that the media said about him. Every morning Mourinho received a package containing the summary. His day began at 8am in his office at Valdebebas, studying videos, articles and broadcasts. He realised that he and his colleagues were not the only sources of the content, and that certain things that were being published did not exactly project an image of infallibility.
He began to suspect that there were leaks in his organisation. The proximity of the Clásico ramped up his sense of suspicion. According to club sources, the growing fear of leaks made Mourinho ask the directors to set up a study of the phone records of players and club employees. Some players were warned about this informally, as it was in their interest to be careful about whom they spoke to on their mobiles. The secrecy, however, did not prevent the boss’s intentions becoming widely known. In fact they were obvious in every training session.
At 5pm on 16 April 2011, shortly before Madrid’s home league match against Barcelona, the newspaper Marca reported in its online edition that Madrid would play Pepe in midfield, along with Khedira and Alonso. The team selection was unprecedented: Casillas, Ramos, Albiol, Carvalho, Marcelo, Pepe, Khedira, Alonso, Di María, Ronaldo and Benzema.
The 1-1 draw did not help the home team’s title chances but the crowd applauded their team off with a certain relief, Barça’s last couple of visits having ended with scores of 0–2 and 2–6, and filed out of the stadium reasonably content. Not so Mourinho.
He waited for the team in the dressing room before issuing a torrent of accusations and insults that distorted his face until he began to sob loudly: “You’re traitors. I asked you not to speak with anyone about the team selection but you’ve betrayed me. It shows that you’re not on my side. You’re sons of bitches.
“The only friend I have in this dressing room is Granero . . . and I’m not even sure that I can trust him any more. You’ve left me all on my own. You’re the most treacherous squad I’ve had in my life. Nothing more than sons of bitches.”
Casillas did not wait for the outburst to finish. He pretended that nothing was happening, turned around and went to the shower; he was not the only one who ignored the commotion. But Mourinho was filled with such intense emotion that he grabbed a can of Red Bull and hurled it against the wall. It exploded and drops of the sugary energy drink ran down the faces of those nearest to him.
Squatting on the ground — some say he was kneeling — he rattled off a further series of insults, then, getting up, he wiped the tears from his face and announced that he was going to speak with Pérez [Real’s president] and Sánchez [a director] because they would be able to find the mole. He promised reprisals and also made an analogy between martial law and football: “If I’m in Vietnam and I see you laugh at a mate, I’d grab a gun with my own hands and kill you. Now it’s you yourselves who have to look for the one that leaked the line-up.”
For everyone present it was difficult to work out if what they had seen was a real loss of emotional control or a piece of spontaneous theatre. By improvisation or calculation, Mourinho had ensured that everyone had been on edge. The team had been emotionally stirred up and he had adjusted the final details of his grand tactical plan. All his work, all his energy, the planning of more than nine months, were now focused on one goal: to reach a state of ecstasy in the final of the Copa del Rey in Valencia on 20 April.
The days were filled with impassioned talk until finally 20 April arrived. He talked about politics, about nationalism, about the inexorable division between the Castilian and Catalan peoples. He told the players that they had nothing in common with Barça. He knew, he said, because he had lived in Barcelona for many years, and was well aware of the local culture and the education that Catalan children receive. He explained that people like Puyol, Busquets, Xavi and Piqué had been taught from childhood to distance themselves from Spaniards such as Casillas, Ramos and Arbeloa.
He insisted that his players were wrong if they thought they had made friendships with the Barça players over their years together in the Spanish national team. The Barça players were not their friends because they took advantage of this supposed friendship by betraying the Madrid players, trying to snatch their prestige from them through their manipulation of the press.
They, the Madrid players, were not to participate in this charade any more. They must accept their role as bad guys and should refuse to acknowledge their rivals. Mourinho warned his players that if he saw any of them shaking hands outside of the formalities of the game they would be turning their backs on him — and on their team-mates. Anyone making any such friendly gesture towards the opposition ran the risk of becoming something very much like a traitor.

I think a horrible player's one thing, Diouf for example, who's up there with the most loathsome players I can ever recall, but the manager sets the entire mood of a club for the period of his tenure.

I genuinely don't know how I would have watched us if Mourinho had ever become manager.  I fast forward Chelsea games on MOTD as I just find them so colourless and a complete waste of my time - like him, they're just a repetitive bore. 

I mute him at worst if he comes on the TV or radio, if not turn over/off.  I didn't mind them nearly as much as a club when that twat wasn't with them, despite all the other incredibly distasteful things about them.

• Upvote 2

"The enemy of football", indeed.

I must say though, his presence in this thread is a turd in the punchbowl.

I remember far more innocent days when it was chortling, GIFs and sheer blinking-eyed amazement United had started so badly.

Yesterday confirmed they mathematically can't finish above us this season, with 5 games left.

In Moyes We Rust.

• Upvote 1

I think a horrible player's one thing, Diouf for example, who's up there with the most loathsome players I can ever recall, but the manager sets the entire mood of a club for the period of his tenure.

I genuinely don't know how I would have watched us if Mourinho had ever become manager.  I fast forward Chelsea games on MOTD as I just find them so colourless and a complete waste of my time - like him, they're just a repetitive bore. 

I mute him at worst if he comes on the TV or radio, if not turn over/off.  I didn't mind them nearly as much as a club when that twat wasn't with them, despite all the other incredibly distasteful things about them.

Me too... Always mute, always switch off.  Same as i used to do with Ferguson.