You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres wants to come back. Do you?

WhiskeyJar

Torres wants to come back. Do you want him back?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Torres wants to come back. Do you want him back?

I don't understand why people can't just accept that Torres forcing a transfer to Chelsea made the club move, and set us back on the pitch. That is all i am saying.

Yes cancer and aids screwed us, that's never been in question - but we are talking about a player, so surely you must have realised that when i say his move put us in the shit - im talking about on the pitch. Last season we played some great stuff under Kenny - all we were missing was someone to put them away... guess what, that's what Torres did. He was a brilliant finisher for us - something we've desperately lacked since he fucked off down there. How therefore people can question us going backwards since his departure is astonishing.

You say Carroll was on our radar in the summer anyway - well guess what, that might have changed. Half a season is along time in a football career. Carroll was ace for the first half of the season for Newcastle - but he may have showed LFC form for the 2nd half. Would we still have signed him then? Extremely unlikely. Its all if's, but's and maybe's, but the undeniable point is that a player demanding a move so late affected us massively, and has affected us ever since. Which is all i have been trying to say all along.

The club knew Torres was not happy here last summer. Purslow had to persuade him to stay. They should've lined up some strikers to replace him at that time, rather than put their hands over their ears and pretend everything was ok and that Torres would be here forever. Who the hell builds a team around a player that has told you he isn't happy at your club?

And I'm not questioning that we have gone backwards since Torres left, I'm not disputing that at all. I'm disputing your claim that Torres is partly responsible for us going backwards since he left. He left and we had £50m to replace him. Kenny Dalglish & Damien Comolli made the decision to squander £35m of that on Andy Carroll. Fernando Torres had nothing to do with that. We are in our 4th transfer window since Torres left, we should've replaced him adequately by now with all the transfer fees we've spent since he left.

As for it affecting us? I disagree, we did really well from February until the end of the season, we were playing really good football and scoring goals was not an issue. The transfers we made in the summer of 2011 and the lack of transfers in January 2012 is what has cost us on the pitch since Torres' departure. Nothing to do with him or the timing of his transfer request.

Given the fee he has to be one of the worst signings the game has ever seen, surely?

Especially with the amount of money they have spent on managers, players etc to get the best out of Torres. I would guess on top of the £50m fee for Torres they've spent close to £100m in buying players that would apparently suit him and get the best out of him. Massive outlay for such little return.

Edited by Il Fenomeno

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not coming across all in the know but this came directly from somebody who worked very closely with Torres at Liverpool but has since moved to another role at a different club.

He left Liverpool after the medical team got cleared out recently, I only know him because he lives near me and our kids used to play for the same junior team so we got quite friendly and he'd pass on bits and pieces of info.

I was told in the summer of 2010 that both Torres and Benayoun would be going to Chelsea in a double deal. Torres had agreed "a pre contract agreement", whatever that is and staff at the club assumed he'd be going once a price was fixed with Chelsea.

At the very last minute Torres announced to the club that he'd changed his mind and in the end only the Benayoun transfer went through.

Everybody assumes the Torres and Carroll deals were rushed through in the January but the club knew for at least six months that Chelsea wanted Torres and that he'd almost left the previous summer.

I'd assume the club knew Chelsea would be back having got so close in the summer and Carroll was lined up as a replacement.

My reason for posting this is so people realise this was rumbling on for months and was not something that just happened at the very end of January 2011.

I'm not coming across all in the know but this came directly from somebody who worked very closely with Torres at Liverpool but has since moved to another role at a different club.

He left Liverpool after the medical team got cleared out recently, I only know him because he lives near me and our kids used to play for the same junior team so we got quite friendly and he'd pass on bits and pieces of info.

I was told in the summer of 2010 that both Torres and Benayoun would be going to Chelsea in a double deal. Torres had agreed "a pre contract agreement", whatever that is and staff at the club assumed he'd be going once a price was fixed with Chelsea.

At the very last minute Torres announced to the club that he'd changed his mind and in the end only the Benayoun transfer went through.

Everybody assumes the Torres and Carroll deals were rushed through in the January but the club knew for at least six months that Chelsea wanted Torres and that he'd almost left the previous summer.

I'd assume the club knew Chelsea would be back having got so close in the summer and Carroll was lined up as a replacement.

My reason for posting this is so people realise this was rumbling on for months and was not something that just happened at the very end of January 2011.

The night we signed Suarez I knew he was off. Suarez is better, we got the best deal in the end, fuck the money on Carroll, we lost Torres and 6 million for Suarez as far as I'm concerned and that's a bargain. He could still do a job for us but he wouldn't be the golden boy here and I'm not sure he wants to be just another player.

I don't understand why people can't just accept that Torres forcing a transfer to Chelsea made the club move, and set us back on the pitch. That is all i am saying.

Yes cancer and aids screwed us, that's never been in question - but we are talking about a player, so surely you must have realised that when i say his move put us in the shit - im talking about on the pitch. Last season we played some great stuff under Kenny - all we were missing was someone to put them away... guess what, that's what Torres did. He was a brilliant finisher for us - something we've desperately lacked since he fucked off down there. How therefore people can question us going backwards since his departure is astonishing.

You say Carroll was on our radar in the summer anyway - well guess what, that might have changed. Half a season is along time in a football career. Carroll was ace for the first half of the season for Newcastle - but he may have showed LFC form for the 2nd half. Would we still have signed him then? Extremely unlikely. Its all if's, but's and maybe's, but the undeniable point is that a player demanding a move so late affected us massively, and has affected us ever since. Which is all i have been trying to say all along.

Obviously a lot of work goes on behind the scenes of a big transfer but it actually happening so late in the day was the point i was making. Chelsea had other forwards - if they didn't sign him, it wouldn't have mattered to them really - this was just Abramovic flexing his financial muscle. It did have far reaching effects on us though because we didn't have cover.

Lets put Van Rapist in this situation. The world knew he was leaving Arsenal, he said as much himself - and speculation was rife he might go in January. There was more than likely the opportunity for him to do so. Imagine he said on deadline day he was off to the Mancs and slapped in a transfer request. What do Arsenal do? Continue the season with Chamakh and Gervinho or would they try to replace him immediately? Considering they are chasing the European spots its a no-brainer - they buy someone new as quickly as they can. If anyone thinks they would wait till the summer and then buy Podolski with the money, they are obviously deluded. We were in that position, the selling club knew we had loads of cash and doubled the price. Its a simple as that.

Agree with every word. We know all players are selfish in the end but he was particularly bad. I also think he's treated his new club like shit. Didin't he start talking about leaving even before the CL bus parade?

I can't get my head around Torres whining about wanting to be back at Liverpool. He must realise that the love the fans had for him has gone, and that even if he was successful (highly debatable) he'd be treated with bare tolerance at best.

I can't get my head around Torres whining about wanting to be back at Liverpool. He must realise that the love the fans had for him has gone' date=' and that even if he was successful (highly debatable) he'd be treated with bare tolerance at best.[/quote']

He's just remembered why he fell out with Benitez the first time. He needs to find somewhere that he knows Benitez can never follow him again. That place is Anfield.

You see that video and it shows really that a lot of his goals had nothing to do with pace which makes it all the more strange in his form, his positioning got him goals a lot of the time and just sheer skill.

This entire thread seems to be based on hearsay though

Agreed, he's never been a pace merchant, he's relied on strength, skill instinct and shooting ability. You don't lose that, save possibly for some strength which also stems from mental attitude.

People need to start realising that the answer isn't to bring back the old Fernando Torres. Its to find the new one.

There'll be a new number 9 out there who'll win our games and our hearts just like he did. We just need to find him.

I also think people seriously underestimate how well Sturridge will do here.

Guest ShoePiss
People need to start realising that the answer isn't to bring back the old Fernando Torres. Its to find the new one.

There'll be a new number 9 out there who'll win our games and our hearts just like he did. We just need to find him.

I also think people seriously underestimate how well Sturridge will do here.

Dp you remember how much he cost?

Actually I would say many of the first twenty or thirty of those goals do rely on an electrifying burst of pace which is gone from his game. That video is the clearest evidence I've ever seen of what he lost through his injuries and how it changed his game over time.

I'd actually say the opposite Zig, there are many times in that video, even in the first five goals, where he has a lead on a defender but they catch up to him but he has to check back and does them with skill instead.

I don't doubt he's lost something physically over time, but not enough to make him the absolute wreck of a player he is now.

This is why I wouldnt want him---- he is finished. The Torres we had initially is not the same one that left for Chelsea.

Unsafe at any Price: Why Fernando Torres is gone for good - We Ain't Got No History

Whilst I agree that he has lost "something" - what a load of fucking bollocks that article is. Its just all hyperbole.

"Look at his face when he pulls his hamstring...its as if he knows he has lost on a deeper level". Fucking hell I hate cunts who talk shit and act as if its the words of a genius.

(Nothing against you mate, I just hate these 10 year old football journalists)

I'd actually say the opposite Zig, there are many times in that video, even in the first five goals, where he has a lead on a defender but they catch up to him but he has to check back and does them with skill instead.

I don't doubt he's lost something physically over time, but not enough to make him the absolute wreck of a player he is now.

I don't think he has lost much to be honest.

There is one reason Torres isn't the player he used to be. Its a footballing reason.

When he was at Liverpool the attack revolved around him. That is why he scored so many. Because the message for the whole team was get it in and get it in early. The play was quick and direct. That is the reason he was average for Spain too. Because the tippy tappy bullshit didn't suit him as a player.