You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AC/DC

Bjornebye

Monsters of rock 91 Moscow?

They headlined it with Metallica and the Black Crowes and Pantera and a few others.

Estimated 1.5 million people at the venue,which was a old airfield.

Noted for all the fighting going on between millitary and police against the crowd.

The fighting stopped briefly when the Black Crowes done Dylans rainy day woman.

This was held about a week before the Soviet Union collapse.

Oh and also regards AC/DC they still are a top band but much prefered Bon with them.

Sadly not the Moscow one, wish it had been as it was bloody mental, but the Donington one, ACDC, Metallica, Motley Crue, Queensryche and Black Crowes. My very first big outdoor gig, sadly now its taken over by Download and they just cater for pre-pubescent Kerrang readers with floppy fringes.

Should that have gone in the rant thread??

As bands go, some strive to sound different on every album, some strive to sound the same.

AC/DC mastered the art of the latter.

Phenomenal fanbase, and one of the world's highest grossing acts (that get little coverage in the same way as say The Stones, or U2 do).

Angus Young (for all intents and purposes, the real driver of the band) masters the art of catchy heavy rock, easily recognisable style and understated musicianship without having to resort to the overly predictable AOR style crap of Bon Jovi. AC/DC are just one of those bands that craves '11' on the volume knob.

A fantastic band, and quite probably the very best of their genre. Not quite my thing, but each to their own.

Of any band where you didn't know a single tune of theirs, but could some away from a gig thinking "THAT was a show!" - I'd put them joint top with Kiss.

As bands go, some strive to sound different on every album, some strive to sound the same. AC/DC mastered the art of the latter.

You hit the nail on the head there, and they've just mastered, sorry, perfected it superbly well. Even their sets are exactly the same, give or take one or two songs, but what a show they produce.

I remember Brian Johnson going on Top Gear a few years back and people were asking Clarkson beforehand who Johnson was!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head there, and they've just mastered, sorry, perfected it superbly well. Even their sets are exactly the same, give or take one or two songs, but what a show they produce.

I remember Brian Johnson going on Top Gear a few years back and people were asking Clarkson beforehand who Johnson was!!!!!

This is something that kind of annoys me I have to admit.

I know it is also something that comes down to personal choice.

When you go to see a band nowadays live what you get is almost exactly the same as you hear on there album.

Alot of people are happy with that which is fine.

Myself I prefer them to improvise on stage and to play freely and not be stuck to some rigid plan.

Even the likes of Rush who are brilliant live play the songs live exactly the same as you hear on the album.

On there recent tour of playing the moving pictures album every track sounded exactly like it did on the album.

Except at the begining of every track they started with a reggae intro to each song.

I know alot of people dont mind seeing a band play a amazing show even if it a exact copy of the album.

This is another reason why to me why Zeppelin stand head and shoulders above other bands.

You could go to see Zeppelin night after night and never get to hear the same thing twice.

They may of even played the same set list as the night before,but the song would sound different in 90% of them.

They would play the song how they were feeling on that night,adding different bits into the music.

Nowadays you see a band for one night of there tour and you get exactly the same gig night after night for the rest of the tour.

When you go to see a band nowadays live what you get is almost exactly the same as you hear on there album.

Myself I prefer them to improvise on stage and to play freely and not be stuck to some rigid plan.

Even the likes of Rush who are brilliant live play the songs live exactly the same as you hear on the album.

On there recent tour of playing the moving pictures album every track sounded exactly like it did on the album.

Except at the begining of every track they started with a reggae intro to each song.

I know alot of people dont mind seeing a band play a amazing show even if it a exact copy of the album.

This is another reason why to me why Zeppelin stand head and shoulders above other bands.

You could go to see Zeppelin night after night and never get to hear the same thing twice.

They may of even played the same set list as the night before,but the song would sound different in 90% of them.

They would play the song how they were feeling on that night,adding different bits into the music.

Nowadays you see a band for one night of there tour and you get exactly the same gig night after night for the rest of the tour.

I agree as well. My favourite band are Metallica and I've seen them 20 times live, but every time I've seen them they've always played certain songs, and it does get on my nerves.

Agree with that - bands playing the song exactly as how it sounds in the studio is just short changing the fans. It shows a lack of imagination and/or poor musical skills. Fans would have already listened to the song 100s of times before the concert so why not try something a little different. Springsteen is the master of this.

That said have recently got into AC/DC and sorry I never listened to them earlier - maybe it was a throwback to school days when anyone listening to Rock music were called 'smellies'. AC/DC loud anywhere is the dogs bollocks.

Watching their River plate show the other night and I thought that they play a bit slower mid -

If think thats bad try this one.

The day after the closing ceremony to the Beijing Games the front of the papers where full of pictures of Leona Lewis singing with jimmy Page.

Well a bloke i was working with declared that they could at least have had a famous british guitarists like Brian May playing with her.

"That`s Jimmy Page"

"Who is he?"

""One of the greatest ever guitar players of all time,Led Zeppelin"

"oh"

I wouldnt mind but the fucker was in his late 40`s and i was in my mid 20s then.

If think thats bad try this one.

The day after the closing ceremony to the Beijing Games the front of the papers where full of pictures of Leona Lewis singing with jimmy Page.

Well a bloke i was working with declared that they could at least have had a famous british guitarists like Brian May playing with her.

"That`s Jimmy Page"

"Who is he?"

""One of the greatest ever guitar players of all time,Led Zeppelin"

"oh"

I wouldnt mind but the fucker was in his late 40`s and i was in my mid 20s then.

Ha ha, that's just embarrassing.

Agree with that - bands playing the song exactly as how it sounds in the studio is just short changing the fans. It shows a lack of imagination and/or poor musical skills. Fans would have already listened to the song 100s of times before the concert so why not try something a little different. Springsteen is the master of this.

That said have recently got into AC/DC and sorry I never listened to them earlier - maybe it was a throwback to school days when anyone listening to Rock music were called 'smellies'. AC/DC loud anywhere is the dogs bollocks.

Watching their River plate show the other night and I thought that they play a bit slower mid -

Disagree about the short changing - it varies depending on the band.

For instance - a band like AC/DC are out and out rock, and whilst there's plenty of muso's who listen to them, that's not their target audience. Folks see AC/DC for a great show, and aren't too bothered about the musicality per se.

For a band like Rush, there's a certain prestige in actually being able to play 95% of what they recorded on an album. That's part of their appeal - the musicianship and accuracy of performance.

Personally, I adore both bands, and each adopts a different approach.

Also, a lot of 'improvisation' is actually very well rehearsed these days. That's not to say there is never any impromptu stuff, but most of it is fully planned for (even if they have alternate set lists, or songs they can swap in and out etc).

I've never felt short changed from a Rush show. I go to see them hit every note the way they did on record. That's the deal.

Horses for courses I suppose.

• 11 months later...

where have you heard this????

A mate of a mate who works for Newcastle's as their corporate event manager (or some shite).

My mate (whose a massive AC/DC fan himself) emailed me at work today to let me know. I told him that it will get unpleasant for him and his mate if it doesn't happen.

As I said though, fingers being crossed.

Never had you down as an AC/DC fan Stig ?

Not really a massive fan myself (boring drumming) but I happened to catch the Brian Johnson meets Louise Mensch documentary on Sky Arts the other week and thought it was a quality programme.

He seems a real down to earth fella. Although Louise is a former Tory MP she knew her stuff (she was even in one of their videos) and it was a good insight on him.

A mate of a mate who works for Newcastle's as their corporate event manager (or some shite).

My mate (whose a massive AC/DC fan himself) emailed me at work today to let me know. I told him that it will get unpleasant for him and his mate if it doesn't happen.

As I said though, fingers being crossed.

Never had you down as an AC/DC fan Stig ?

yeah mate love them. Saw them at the 3 arena in birmingham about 4/5 years ago. Fucking boss it was. I took me dad and our kid, they are bigger fans, especially our Liam who fucking loves them 

Not really a massive fan myself (boring drumming) but I happened to catch the Brian Johnson meets Louise Mensch documentary on Sky Arts the other week and thought it was a quality programme.

He seems a real down to earth fella. Although Louise is a former Tory MP she knew her stuff (she was even in one of their videos) and it was a good insight on him.

I'll have to watch that this week.

Louise Mensch is still a vacuous, smug, cretinous, Thatcher-loving thundercunt, though.

I would put AC/DC as probably the only heavy metal band that appeals right across the spectrum of music. Even people who hate this type of band admit to having a liking of them. Probably the only band of this type that would work as a headliner at Glasto as well.

EDIT possibly Maiden as well but not as much as ac/dc.

I would put AC/DC as probably the only heavy metal band that appeals right across the spectrum of music. Even people who hate this type of band admit to having a liking of them. Probably the only band of this type that would work as a headliner at Glasto as well.

EDIT possibly Maiden as well but not as much as ac/dc.

I think Guns N Roses also appealed to many people who wouldn't normally listen to rock/metal, but AC/DC do seem to appeal to large numbers of people you wouldn't expect. Must be to do with the likes of Celine Dion covering You Shook Me All Night Long.