You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas has not improved.

Guest simon

The people who say he is brilliant are as wrong as the people who say he is shit. He is a good pro and a decent player, he isn't shit but he certainly isn't brilliant either. I think we need someone with a bit more pace, power and agression as our DM, but I don't think that's a priority at the moment.

Thats how I see it. I'm happy with him where we are right now. In the future we can make upgrading on him a priority but right now hes not a huge gaping weak link in our team.

If he was, Kenny would have him out of the team.

retard1fc7.jpg

Not his best game today, however you cannot have a team full of flash Harry's he's our equivalent of fletcher for the scum a few years back.

We need a Lucas as the positional sense of our midfield defensively is shit, all of them, bar, maybe - spearing

He may not pull up any trees but he does the grubby work well.

You cannot compare him to Masch as they are two sides of the same coin, plus people forget what a fucking liability masch was with his tackling and constant gobbing off, and he did shit on us, lest we forget.

Lucas is a bit like a safety blanket. Will be interesting to see whether we are more dynamic without him in the team next week and i think we will be far more of a threat, but our centre backs will be far more exposed. Personally, our centre backs just don't fill me with enough confidence be fully relaxed about it.

Lucas is a decent enough player, but limited. If we had another one or 2 players of the calibre of Suarez further up the pitch, it wouldn't matter so much. But we don't (yet).

Lucas is a substitute for someone better, who's knackered or injured.

That's it. Sum total. Stop defending this shite, it's not good enough at the best of times, and it's totally unacceptable on days like today.

That old pro Wellbeck turned him inside out on occassions, skipping away from him, without a challenge in sight, immediately putting the defence under pressure. And Wellbeck started 5 yards in front of Lucas, that's the fucking kicker. Where's the reading of the player? Where's the positioning? Fuck that, where's the passing, the intelligence?

I cannot imagine how shit Spearing must be in training for Kenny to see Lucas as the better option. If that's the case then fuck Jay off as well.

I'm sure it's not the case, but one can only assume by the starting line up each week.

No, fuck you. Before anyone starts with the personal shit. Fuck off, I'm not interested in being told that the sky isn't blue.

Idiotic statement. When were we under any sort of pressure when he was on the field? We weren't, is the right answer.

Didn't have the same energy that he usually does but as said he was playing on the other side of the world a few days ago.

Positioning and passing? Try watching the game. How would you know the sky is blue when your head is up your arse?

Lucas was very poor today but he has his place in the squad until we get better. Those that say Utd were better at attacking when he went off simply forget that they brought on their attacking players so of course that was going to be the case. He was beaten on many occasions and the central midfield of Henderson, Adam and Gerrard should have been what we started with if we knew the team that Utd were putting out but we didn't.

The argument should be whether we need him in the starting 11 for most games and I believe we don't. I also hope that we don't need a DM at all soon and that are CB's of the future don't need that level of protection. The warranting of a place in a team due to others inefficiencies is what we need to eradicate.

I have never been a fan of Lucas, just think he is a jack of all trades master of none but he has served us well many times and does not need this level of abuse after one poor game.

I don't think Lucas is as bad as some make him out to be,but he is also not as good as others think he is.

He would be a decent player to have around the squad next season but IMO if we are to push on I think we need a better player there.

Wether it is a physically more imposing player in the mild of a Essien or a better defensive reader of the game like Mascherano.

I have not seen loads of them but from what I have seen the two French lads Sissolo and M'Vila look very good in different ways.

Javi Martinez could be a decent option screening the defines but also good on the ball same with Sami Khedira if Real get rid.

Idiotic statement. When were we under any sort of pressure when he was on the field? We weren't, is the right answer.

Didn't have the same energy that he usually does but as said he was playing on the other side of the world a few days ago.

Positioning and passing? Try watching the game. How would you know the sky is blue when your head is up your arse?

G'day

Rooney, Nani and Hernandez weren't on the field then.

So was Suarez.

I did watch the game. The sky is blue, I definitely, definitely know that.

One bad game in the past 18 months and same old shit gets dragged up again!

Lucas is a decent player who while not at the same level as the little Argie mercenary cunt at Barcelona, is better than Momo. He couldn't pass a ball 2 yards but people loved him for running round like a headless chicken.

He's grown into a good reader of the game generally but today had an off day. Playing on other side of world at altitude and reduced to 10 men in one match would tire anyone.

I don't believe we need him against teams we should be tonking like Norwich, Swansea et al but against like of Man U he's been invaluable in the past.

I don't think Lucas is as bad as some make him out to be,but he is also not as good as others think he is.

He would be a decent player to have around the squad next season but IMO if we are to push on I think we need a better player there.

Wether it is a physically more imposing player in the mild of a Essien or a better defensive reader of the game like Mascherano.

I have not seen loads of them but from what I have seen the two French lads Sissolo and M'Vila look very good in different ways.

Javi Martinez could be a decent option screening the defines but also good on the ball same with Sami Khedira if Real get rid.

Agree.

One bad game in the past 18 months and same old shit gets dragged up again!

Lucas is a decent player who while not at the same level as the little Argie mercenary cunt at Barcelona, is better than Momo. He couldn't pass a ball 2 yards but people loved him for running round like a headless chicken.

He's grown into a good reader of the game generally but today had an off day. Playing on other side of world at altitude and reduced to 10 men in one match would tire anyone.

I don't believe we need him against teams we should be tonking like Norwich, Swansea et al but against like of Man U he's been invaluable in the past.

I sort of agree with this, though I have to say the number of games in which he's been 'invaluable' is very small.

His role is one in which its pretty hard to determine whether he has been invaluable or not.

In my humble opinion.

Funny that we all liked Hamann then apart from the completely clueless.

Lucas is ok but will never be great. Once you've realised that, this whole argument becomes a waste of time.

What, for me, it all boils down to is he's the best we've fucking got!

Yes he could be improved upon, but then again there are a fair few who would be a down grade. He's a good decent pro who puts a shift in and doesn't seem to have his head wedged up his arse with his own self importance.

Maybe he will be upgraded in Jan or the summer, but you can't take away the fact he's the best we have at the moment and will be for a while yet, so get behind him and stop the petty point scoring.

What, for me, it all boils down to is he's the best we've fucking got!

Yes he could be improved upon, but then again there are a fair few who would be a down grade. He's a good decent pro who puts a shift in and doesn't seem to have his head wedged up his arse with his own self importance.

Maybe he will be upgraded in Jan or the summer, but you can't take away the fact he's the best we have at the moment and will be for a while yet, so get behind him and stop the petty point scoring.

If we want to play with a defensive anchor player I agree that he is the best we have in that role. Whether we need that kind of player in midfield for most games is another question. One problem as I see it is that Adam and Henderson look to be a little lightweight defensively, so I am not sure if we have the tools for a more balanced midfield. I thought Gerrard, Adam and Henderson worked well against the Mancs though in the latter part of the game.

If we want to play with a defensive anchor player I agree that he is the best we have in that role. Whether we need that kind of player in midfield for most games is another question. One problem as I see it is that Adam and Henderson look to be a little lightweight defensively, so I am not sure if we have the tools for a more balanced midfield. I thought Gerrard, Adam and Henderson worked well against the Mancs though in the latter part of the game.

Completely agree with your point. As a 'traditional' defensive midfielder he's quite far back on the worlds best, but by no means anywhere near the bottom.

I thought the Gerrard, Adam and Lucas midfield three would be the best possible out of the resources we have, I still think this because Gerrard and Lucas will pull people all over the place when we're bossing the midfield, and playing one up top, allowing Adam to play his natural game as unhindered as possible.

We should be looking for a more fluid triumvirate when playing the dross, and it would appear Lucas, as Masch before him, just isn't needed, in theory anyway, when we should be on the front foot most of the time, but how often is this the case?

Funny that we all liked Hamann then apart from the completely clueless.

Lucas is ok but will never be great. Once you've realised that, this whole argument becomes a waste of time.

Yeah, and before any dipstick armchair superfan starts quacking on about players that it takes "a real fan, who goes the match/ understands football/ doesn't base opinions on playing Championship Manager or FIFA" to rate Lucas, the truth is I loved Didi Hamann almost as much as I hate Lucas.

Odd isn't it?

And when it comes to players who have been occasionally "divisive" (some more than others) I've always stuck up for the likes of Kuyt, Riise, Carragher, and even Finnan and Alonso at times - although admittedly people who slated those two are beyond help.

I'll admit that Lucas possibly isn't quite as shit as I think he is, but he's closer to "shit" than "good" and we could improve on him with countless midfield players already in the Premiership.