You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loan Watch: Aquilani on form for Juve

rebel23

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anything but The Hodge!

Well that goes without saying....

It was incredibly naïve and foolish to assume that if we sacked Benitez, all the top managers around the world would start flocking to the job on the basis that "we are Liverpool", as we were repeatedly told by certain people on this forum.

Well that goes without saying....

It was incredibly naïve and foolish to assume that if we sacked Benitez, all the top managers around the world would start flocking to the job on the basis that "we are Liverpool", as we were repeatedly told by certain people on this forum.

We didn't need a 'top' manager. I never expected us to go for a 'big name' manager.

I wanted a young, hungry, manager with potential. Of course, we ended up with an old, incompetent, boob.

"it's not our fault we got Roy"

It's a kop out, people warned you it'd be the Hicks brigade making decisions they didn't have a clue about. Putting your hands over your ears and chanting Rafa out was never going to get you out of it.

Do you seriously believe posters on the Liverpool Way were responsible for Rafa being sacked???? Bet he wished the board were all subscribed to RAWK eh? Rafa was deadman walking when he decided to take on the board and play the political games.

Aquilani is a talented footballer who I personally was looking forward to seeing more of this season, instead he got loaned out, we got Cole to replace him like for like and that meant Van Der Vaart was "not the profile of footballer we were looking for"

The Manager blames the squad he inherited for our current position but in reality its the same squad minus the big losses of Xabi & Masch that played some excellent football and should have won the title just over 18 months ago. 2 Big losses but they do not turn a team from serious title challengers to mid table dross, what does that is when the manager makes his players believe they are mid table dross to cover his own back.

People say we should not expect to win trophies just because we are Liverpool, they are wrong, we most certainly expect to win trophies because of who we are and any player who doesn't believe in and work towards that goal each season is not fit to wear the shirt. That applies even more to the man directing proceedings from the dug out, the time when we lose that expectation is the time when we accept mediocrity, this is why Roy needs to go sooner rather than later.

Aquilani is a talented footballer who I personally was looking forward to seeing more of this season, instead he got loaned out, we got Cole to replace him like for like and that meant Van Der Vaart was "not the profile of footballer we were looking for"

The Manager blames the squad he inherited for our current position but in reality its the same squad minus the big losses of Xabi & Masch that played some excellent football and should have won the title just over 18 months ago. 2 Big losses but they do not turn a team from serious title challengers to mid table dross, what does that is when the manager makes his players believe they are mid table dross to cover his own back.

People say we should not expect to win trophies just because we are Liverpool, they are wrong, we most certainly expect to win trophies because of who we are and any player who doesn't believe in and work towards that goal each season is not fit to wear the shirt. That applies even more to the man directing proceedings from the dug out, the time when we lose that expectation is the time when we accept mediocrity, this is why Roy needs to go sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Apart from Souness this is the only time I've actually wanted a manager sacked as opposed to recognising when a manager's time is up. I could live with the shit results, the turgid tactics, even the lack of respect he shows the supporters but I just can't stomach the lowering of expectations and the embrace of mediocrity.

And anyone who actually trusted G&H to appoint a decent replacement needs their bumps felt.

The only realistic way (and economically viable for a club like us) you can cope with these two losses, especially that of Alonso, is to change the way the CBs play, and if necessary, change the CBs. Then you can still play reasonable football with less effective midfielders. Rafa did not manage it as Agger was injured all the time, Roy does not worry about playing football from the back.

How many tackles did he NOT make when he could have? I am looking forward to the 13m for him.

How may successful tackles has Cole, Babel or even Torres made?

He's an attacking midfielder who should be viewed for what he can do and not what he can't.

His touch, control, ball retention, passing and vision were superb. Exactly what we're currently lacking behind the striker.

Guest PurpleNose
I think it's fair to say that a fit Aquilani would have given us more so far this season than Cole has. But I think it's also fair to say that hardly anyone would have predicted that before the season started.

Really?

Aquilani has been a better footballer than Cole for about five years.

I definitely thought Alberto was showing signs of becoming a player towards the end of last season. He clearly struggled with fitness and adaptation to a new league/country, but as the season went on and he adjusted more and built up fitness, he grew in to it. I was sad to see him go and I'm not at all surprised he's doing well.

As well as he's been doing, he was fucking awful yesterday.

He was Juve's only available senior central midfielder, and played alongisde Giandonato, but he was a passenger all game when Juve needed him to step up.

I was gutted to see him go at the start of the season, but the way things have gone it was the best thing for both parties.

Of course, but there was also the chance that it could have gone well and we'd be doing much, much better than we are. Just because the previous board got Rafa's replacement wrong, doesn't discredit the argument that was there to get rid of him. There were plenty of better managers than Hodgson available, but it's not our fault we got Roy.

Anyway, don't want to ruin this thread with even more Rafa talk, just thought that ridiculous previous post needed addressing.

Some Rafa talk would take this thread to heights unknown to be honest.