You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Kelly

fowler9

I think he showed everyone what a good player he is last night. They were targeting him for most of the game, majority of their attacks came down the left. He had some troubles, especially in the second half, when Maloda, Cole and occationally Drogba came at him. But what right back wouldn't experience difficulties against that opposition? He even contributed in attack, that blocked shot in the first half looked dangerous.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way he should be dropped for the next game. Johnson is a liability at the moment and Kelly did nothing wrong when he came in.

Beisdes been taken to the cleaners by Drogba and Malouda when he got isolated.

Thought he did very well but to say he did nothing wrong overstates it.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Being. Being. Being taken to the cleaners.

And Wisdom and Ayala?

Ayala too. He should have a good future.

As for Kelly, I think if he can get games in the middle, he will quickly look every bit as good as Shawcross, Cahill or whoever else you care to mention as an up and coming solid central defender.

There might well be no need to spend good money in this area. I'm thinking Kelly and Wilson might be the future, with Ayala to figure too.

Agger is injured too much and I don't see much of a future here for him. Carra is the wise old head around the place, and if he can pass on the never-say-die attitude he showed against Chelsea at the weekend then the youngsters will benefit enormously. Soto has been a revelation considering the price we paid. And Skrtel is not bad at all when he is focused, but I think he will be surpassed by the youngsters coming through.

The problem is, central defence is such a vulnerable position. Still, I would give the youngsters a go and see what they've got. I've a sneaking suspicion we already have the players here to prevent us spending £15M unnecessarily.

For sure and why we shouldnt be spending a lot of money on CBs IMO

Kyrgiakos is unlikely to keep his swansong up for a long term, Carragher needs to be moved from instant starter, and Agger is broken.

We have great youth prospects, but we need at least one major CB purchase, or two if you want to upgrade on Skrtel.

He got bullied by Drogba on one or two occasions - name a defender Drogba hasn't bullied? We must have been watching different games because at no point do I recall Kelly being taken to the cleaners by anyone. Particularly Malouda.

Drogba IMO is and had been the best striker on the planet for the last 5 years hes gona bullie many a player and Kelly handled it.Nice to see Drogba going looking for him after the game to have a few kind words. If fit Kelly has to be first choice on form, let Johnson win his place back

Absolutely. It sends out the wrong message, particularly to the kids, if Johnson, who is clearly off-form, walks back into the team.

He got bullied by Drogba on one or two occasions - name a defender Drogba hasn't bullied? We must have been watching different games because at no point do I recall Kelly being taken to the cleaners by anyone. Particularly Malouda.

I thought he did very well but did tire significantly late on. I think he had cramp around the 70 minute mark and was easily beaten on a few occasion afterwards.

The stamina will come with games and time though and he looks a great prospect.