You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Commuting

Walton Park

Does anyone do a fair bit of this?

What would the longest time you would consider commuting everyday?

Job coming up in my place but would take 2 hours. I could car share but its 2 hours to get there. Its for a job Ive always wanted to do and an extra 5-6 hundred a month.

Is it worth the stress?

cheers

Sorry to say this dude, but no. Unless you're happy staying over a few days a week I'd give it a miss, or move?

I do an hour each way and it gets you down after a while but any longer would really suck. Plus if there is an accident add longer than the two hours.

For what its worth, I commute a 98 miles round trip to work but because I work in the center of the city the traffic is bad which adds 3 hours on to my working day. The cost of trains works out pretty much the same as I would spend on fuel. But for 500 a month more for a job you 'want' to do as apposed to have to do... go for it! Plus you dont have to do the job forever, consider it as a stepping stone to something even greater which would make it even more worth it!

On the plus side, after a mad day you get to chill out on the journey home which means you no longer get in and kick the cat up the arse!

yeah go for it, give it a stab and if it gets too much look for another job or move closer. I'd rather travel two hours to do something I love than go ten minutes for a shit one. You're there for eight hours a day, don't forget.

I stopped the commute a seven years ago. It's funny cos sometimes I miss it; although that's few and far between.

I've been offered over 10k more to commute to London, but it doesn't make sense to me. Minus the tax, trains, tube, 3hrs I'm travelling not getting paid while stuck on a shit train standing round people munching sandwiches for their tea, then getting off in shit dorm towns in mid Sussex.

Tbh, they can stick the cash. Mind you those jobs are the same as I do or less stress and lower status; so no real pull on the job satisfaction side.

If you want it, maybe better to move.

Sometimes a commute can be enjoyable and you can make it real time to yourself to listen to music and read depending on if you are driving or public transporting it. 2 hours seems fucking long though.

Sometimes a commute can be enjoyable and you can make it real time to yourself to listen to music and read depending on if you are driving or public transporting it. 2 hours seems fucking long though.

Get on the crack pipe and the journey'll go in no time.

20 hours a week is a long time.

I commute up to London once a week and that's 5 hours out of my day. No way would I do it all the time.

There's the cost to take into account and the stress and the time you're losing.

If you're working a 9-5 day then you'll leave home at probably 6:30 and won't get back until gone 7. Just time for a bite to eat before you go to bed again as you've got to be up by 6 the next day.

That's no way to live. If you have to do it then travel by train if you can as 4 or 5 hours in a car everyday will soon wear you down (or it would me :) )

I went for an interview during the week and the 2 hours each way fucking drained me. I was asleep on the way back, nearly missing my stop. Then I had to get up for my local job the next day and felt tired still. I know you must get used to it but you cant feel fresh surely.

I commute 2 hours return West Sussex-London 5 days a week. It was extremely draining at first but became much more tolerable once I'd settled on a fixed schedule and a routine on the train (music/reading/iphone etc). The cost is significant (£350 for a monthly ticket) but you have to weigh that against the higher rent/living expenses of living in the city. I wouldn't even consider driving that distance, though.

I went for an interview during the week and the 2 hours each way fucking drained me. I was asleep on the way back, nearly missing my stop. Then I had to get up for my local job the next day and felt tired still. I know you must get used to it but you cant feel fresh surely.

I sleep the bus journey home at least 3 days out of 5. When you've been the game or playing f••tball the day before it makes it even worse.

• 7 years later...

Becoming a fucking joke. Again. Not only have the cheeky cunts put the prices up despite 48% of trains last year being either delayed, late or cancelled but the cheeky cunts have also started taking carriages off already over-crowded trains. Fucking commute this morning on the Liverpool / Norwich train via Manchester had just 2 carriages. I got on it at 8:05 which indicates how bang in the middle of commuter time this was. The train normally has 5 carriages. oh no, cost cutting commuter robbing. Fuck you having to stand up or sit on the bin while being squashed by some lynx africa cunt, oh no, that's not important to us. We will even make you late you cunt. We gotta save/make money off you. Its an absolute fucking joke. Slags. 

I dont mind getting up for work, I actually enjoy my job and am glad to be back on the treadmill but by the time I get to picadilly i'm so fucking angry that I turn up pissed off. It takes me a good hour to calm down. Not only are the trains cunts, the train staff cunts, the prices cunts, the fucking people who set the arrival times lying cunts but the people I commute with are by and large cunts as well. Fucking out for themselves push out the way i'm more important than you bastards. Fucking snooty cunt got on at Birchwood on an already packed train and could see people were standing all the way down the aisles yet still pushed their way down the carriage looking for an empty seat that quite clearly did. not. fucking. exist then had the audacity to tut loudly and look at people sat down as if they are in the fucking wrong for sitting down before him. Fucking blazer twat if he had been closer to me I would have swung for the fucker. 

They should change the name of the film Trains, Planes and Automobiles to Cunting Travesty, Planes and Automobiles. 

If I ever flip and decide I am leading the fucking revolution I guarantee it will be on a fucking train. I'll just get off at the next stop with the severed heads of ticket inspector, mouth breathers and seat snobs and declare a free fucking life for all. Enjoy the world for fuck sake, kill all cunts. 

• Upvote 4