You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A little help concerning X Box 360 please.

Guest Pistonbroke

Guest Pistonbroke

It's my sons 10th Birthday in June and he wants the X Box 360 as his original X box is playing up due to the laser not reading games properly. Took it apart and cleaned it but still hit and miss. We have a Wii and PS3, plus the rug rats have a DS.

Anyway, on to my question.

What would be suitable for him. The normal x box 360 or the 360 Elite ? What are the advantages or disadvantages ?

Take into consideration his age and the fact he won't be going anywhere near the internet or live gaming. I take it all the x box games will play on the 360 version ?

Thanks in advance.

Pistonandsoontobemorebroke.

I think an elite would be the way to go definatley

As for original xbox games if thats the ones you mean, l'm sure most of the games play on the 360 but a few don't, if you search around the official xbox website l think theres a list of supported games on there somewhere.

Guest Pistonbroke
I think an elite would be the way to go definatley

As for original xbox games if thats the ones you mean, l'm sure most of the games play on the 360 but a few don't, if you search around the official xbox website l think theres a list of supported games on there somewhere.

Cheers mate.

It seems like you're in a bit of a catch 22 situation there. You could buy an xbox 360 arcade version which is easily the cheapest, and more than enough space for someone who isn't going near internet gaming etc. but the problem is you need a bigger harddrive to be able to play original xbox games. I've got an xbox arcade but it couldn't play original xbox games. I've since upgraded and stuck a hardrive with it. So if the original xbox games is a big consideration, you'd have to buy an elite xbox 360 which is more expensive and can play the original xbox games.

If he didn't have original xbox games, I'd say go for xbox arcade, if not, elite.

Guest Pistonbroke

Thanks again. He has something ( well a lot are games i bought for the x box for myself ) like 40 odd original games. Looks like it will have to be the elite with it's 120gb hard drive. I shall also look into Acid's suggestion of buying the Arcade and modding it with a seperate hard drive.

I'll have a gander around a few forums and see if anyone has indeed chosen acid's idea. I know the price difference between the Arcade and the Elite is about 100 Euros in Germany. Might be able to get one cheaper from Amazon UK but will have to look into the compatibility issues with games bought in Germany. Can't see a huge issue with that unless they have changed things since the original X box.

Guest Pistonbroke
Ive just had a quick look on game, and arcades are going for £150, with the smallest (20gb) hard drive is £50, or you can get an elite with its 120gb hard drive, for £190.

Food for thought mate, cheers.

Thanks again. He has something ( well a lot are games i bought for the x box for myself ) like 40 odd original games. Looks like it will have to be the elite with it's 120gb hard drive. I shall also look into Acid's suggestion of buying the Arcade and modding it with a seperate hard drive.

I'll have a gander around a few forums and see if anyone has indeed chosen acid's idea. I know the price difference between the Arcade and the Elite is about 100 Euros in Germany. Might be able to get one cheaper from Amazon UK but will have to look into the compatibility issues with games bought in Germany. Can't see a huge issue with that unless they have changed things since the original X box.

I got an xbox arcade with two games (batman lego and pure) and an extra controller for £110 and then bought a harddrive for £30 on amazon. That might be the cheaper option than the elite but it's a bit more messing about obviously.

*if you can find the same deal, your kid will love batman lego.

Guest Pistonbroke

Cheers again for the answers.

Deffiniely looking at the 360 Elite as the prices are dropping all the time. I can get a bundle Xbox 360 - Konsole Elite Black + Halo 3: ODST & Forza Motorsport 3 for 209 euros which seems to be a very good offer on Amazon.de Includes a wireless controller, cables and HDMI cable.