You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano

rebel23

would we miss him if he left? I feel his ban has been a blessing in disguise as it has forced Benitez to pick a more attacking central midfield which is appropriate in the league as oppposed to the sterile midfield of Lucas and Mascherano and surprise surprise the team are winning and looking more fluid.

Also he is a bit of a hot head with two red cards this season, his mentality does not appear to be right

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example would you be tempted to sell Mascherano for a big amount and buy someone like Parker to provide cover in midfield and then use the money for a winger/striker/attacker? I would be sorely tempted considering the constraints

Anyway, Masch is coming up to 2 years left on his contract so a decision needs to be made either way to prevent him running down his contract

I think Lucas could do the job and he can pass better also we could buy another midfielder

I think Lucas and Aqulani are too slow to play together in midfield in every game. You need someone with a bit of pace to cover when neccesary imo. You can only get away with it if you're as good as Hamann was and Lucas defo isn't there yet.

It's be different of we could get someone like Yaya Toure plus another player with the money but i wouldn't trust the yanks to reinvest it all.

I think Lucas have played much better with Alberto there..

I agree

I think Lucas and Masch are basically doing the same job & also the more-forward looking midfielder is an extra option for a forward rather than sideways pass , making Lucas look less crab-like in his play.

Masch is obviously the better player , but the value he could bring in (assuming Rafa would get it to spend ) and his wavering loyalties would mean to me he is the least important loss that could make a massive pot of money available.

For example would you be tempted to sell Mascherano for a big amount and buy someone like Parker to provide cover in midfield and then use the money for a winger/striker/attacker? I would be sorely tempted considering the constraints

If Mascherano wants out then we should get rid and seek as much money for him as possible. The fear is that if the owners remain, that not all of any fee received will be reinvested in the team.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think we'll end up losing Mascherano this month or in the summer anyway. If we don't then i'd be happy as he is one of the best defensive midfielder's in the World. Lucas in nowhere near as good and gives just as many free kicks away and is lucky not to have a few red cards against his name himself, albeit for clumsiness rather than passion going overboard.

So just because we now have seen Lucas playing alongside Aqualini some think we can just dispose of Mash. We may have won two games with this central pairing but we were far from commanding and it's a bit premature to go OTT. What do you think Mash and Aqualini would play like together ? Or are you just dismissing this possibility.

I believe we would miss him. The key is who you play with him.

Someone who can DICTATE the tempo and direction of attacks. Someone who can keep hold of the ball when needed and conversely keep the ball moving with counter attacking momentum. A general if you like.

Mascherano is not the man to do this - he is the man to get the ball and give it to this person.

We haven't improved whatsoever, he's been my player of the season so far, maybe Reina, so yes I think we would miss him, the results have been absolutely nothing to do with him not being on the pitch.

we have just won back to back games for the first time in months with this player of the season absent

Guest Pistonbroke
we have just won back to back games for the first time in months with this player of the season absent

You really think that is the reason ? The mind boggles.

Lucas has outperformed him this year and is turning into an adequate replacement (though still not as good as Masch at his best), so I'd sell him for 25+ million pound, providing the money could be reinvested in the team.

We should've done this in the summer, really, after Barca turned his head. We could've brought in both Cana and Cattermole and still have 15-20 million to spend on an attacking player.

That means nothing. We've lost plenty of games where Gerrard nd Torres were playing. Should we sell them?

We were lucky to get a win against Villa and we struggled to beat shitty Wolves until they went down to 10 men. Using those games as proof of improvement really is clutching at straws.

Having Lucas/Mascherano/Aquilani(/Gerrard) in any combination depending on the opposition is a good thing and we should keep all of them. Replacing any of them with another, possibly lesser, player and investing in other areas of the pitch is too premature. They're just now getting a chance to play together.

But Lucas/Aquilani against Chelsea's, Barcelona's or Real Madrid's midfields wouldn't cut it I believe. We need Masch for those games.

But Lucas/Aquilani against Chelsea's, Barcelona's or Real Madrid's midfields wouldn't cut it I believe. We need Masch for those games.

The extra money from selling Mascherano would pay for another class forward, so we could easily drop Gerrard back in midfield for those games.

The extra money from selling Mascherano would pay for another class forward, so we could easily drop Gerrard back in midfield for those games.

So Lucas/Gerrard in midfield and Fabiano/Dzeko/Villa playing up front with Torres? Yeah that might work yes if Gerrard is up for it.

Having Lucas/Mascherano/Aquilani(/Gerrard) in any combination depending on the opposition is a good thing and we should keep all of them. Replacing any of them with another, possibly lesser, player and investing in other areas of the pitch is too premature. They're just now getting a chance to play together.

Good post. We need more than two quality central midfielders. Aquilani isn't yet match fit. Lucas is developing nicely but still not quite the finished article. Masch has proved time and time again that he is a world class defensive midfielder. Keeping Masch has to be a priority.

the DM thing is overplayed, he isnt a dynamic midfielder which is more valuable in the league. you can get away with a player like Lucas. Look at Arsenal's midfielders, teenagers basically and they're right up there. No world class Argie captain in their team

Mash has a top reputation and possibly his forte is the european games considering we want to win the league i'm surprised at how many people claim he's essential. he's really not in my opinion