You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think using Maxi on the right with Dirk on the left would be a good option for us.

Given we've also got Jovanovic in I think we could then spend more on a number 10 and a left back.

More and more teams seem to have wingers that drift inside providing a shooting threat and leaving the overlapping + crossing for the fullback. It works in a lot of situations. I still think one of the wingers need to have a bit more pace, as the combo you are suggesting will leave us a bit short in terms of counter-attacking threat. Teams that counter-attack effectively have at least three players with good/great pace. For us it would be Torres + maybe Gerrard (if his legs aren't completely f**ked), imo that is not enough. And before anyone cries out that we should be breaking down teams without having to counter, that's not the way most football games are won anymore, breakdowns and set pieces is where it's at - love it or hate it...

PS! Shame that Babel stinks the place out, with half a brain he would have been absolutely perfect for us.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, Kuyt is a left winger now? Get carried away much? We need someone who can run past players.

Where did I say he was a left winger?

What I said was he could be a job there for us. Are you suggesting he can't?

By reasoning behind that was the fact that we are fuckin' skint so I'd rather best utilise what we have and add to it than not.

Jesus, Kuyt is a left winger now? Get carried away much? We need someone who can run past players.

If we had a fullback like Bastos or Evra (not going to happen obviously) I wouldn't mind having Kuyt there either. Kuyt doesn't just put the effort in, he puts superhuman effort in, that's what a lot of/most people aren't getting I suppose. People hail Gerrard for his heroics in finals for example, what if he provided the same effort in all league games as well? That's what Dirk does. Not only the 38 league games, we're talking 60 + games a year. That's why he's picked ahead of players with twice the skill and pace he has, and that's why he'll play 60 + games for us next year as well.

I haven't posted in any of the Hodgson threads, but if Hodgson relies on hard work, repetition, team shape and attitude (as interviews/articles suggest), do you really think he would sell Dirk Kuyt? Do you?

For the Kuyt haters; what's another year:yes:

Whick fast wingers do people suggest we buy out the money we would sell Kuyt for? Wright Phillips? Lennon? They all wouldnt put in half the work he does and we wouldnt get the same return back.

There are more than 2 wingers in world football.

I'd expect our scouting system to find a good winger with pace.

Dirk Kuyt is a great worker, shows great heart and determination but he is also slow,cumbersome and has one of the worst first touches i've ever seen. He will always be a work horse player and no more, he is not vital any team but does serve a purpose at times especially against attacking wing backs, Rafa over played him horribly and burnt him out even when Kuyt was performing terribly. I do like Dirk as a bloke, seems nice fella and shows great passion for the shirt but i wouldn't be upset to see him go.

As a forward he is not good enough and as a winger he lacks the vital assets we need in our current team which is pace,craft,guile and creativity.

Dirk Kuyt is going to score the winning goal in the World Cup final. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

If it goes to Argentina vs Spain and Arg win, Suarez will score the winning goal. (also if fifa keep the ban at 1 game...)

Kuyt is more then likely going to play in the world cup final, after playing almost every minute. Yet still we will have idiots that know fuck all about football criticising him next season.

Edit. He's also easily in the team of the tournament. Hollands best player after sneidjer

He's just so fucking sloooow. Today, does brilliantly to get away from a few players but you knew he was never going to put it away.

I think it's a sad indictment of the game more than anything else, that you can be stand out from the rest by simply running around a lot just putting in the effort really. Those things should be the minimum expected of any player. Look at RVP today for instance, all the talent in the World, yet given the choice, i'd pick Kuyt over him for the next game.

I'd sell him like, if there's an offer upwards of £12m, and the money is reinvested obviously.

That's just insulting to Kuyt. Erik Meijer put in huge effort into every game too, but he was pretty dire.

Headless chickens who just run around don't score in Champions League Finals, World Cups, European Championships, derbies and huge European games. He was poor for us last season, but he was hardly alone in that.

No, he's not particularly fast and he doesn't have tanned thighs. That doesn't automatically make him shit though, and I'm sure Hodgson's looking forward to working with him. He'll be of vital importance in a season when we need players to fight for the shirt.