You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fernando Torres

RedinSweden

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of you even mentioned the fact that all his goals have come from open play. How many strikers in world football can even match a record like that? He scored 50 goals sooner than Rushie and Fowler. I've seen both play and I have to say, Torres is the more talented all-round player. It's him I would have in my team first if I had to choose.

Seen all our centre forwards since Toshack and I have to say I think Torres is the best of the lot.

Feels like a bit of a betrayal saying so because I always thought Robbie was the best I'd seen and obviously the lad was loved. Good in the air for a little un and a left foot like an exocet.

There's the longevity issue with Torres but in my opinion not only is Fernando the more gifted from the purely physical aspect - size and strengh but he's also a sublime finisher. The dummy on Shay Given at Anfield and the Marseille away goal in 07/08 being particular favourites.

Torres just edges it. Robbie then Rush for me.

It seems there is some confusion about the Torres stat. Im gonna throw some more in there.

Jeff Stelling said on GSS at half time, Torres has scored 33 in 34 games at anfield. I don't know wether that includes yesterdays game, Im guessing so since he said it at half time. So that would make it 34 in 34.

I agree with Nick on this one. Torres may not have proved it over a long period but for me he is the best number 9 we have had. To be honest I am surprised that saying that is so controversial - its not like he is saying that an average or merely good player is the best. Whether he is the best is definitely debatable but for his record and performances so far I think he is definitely a contender for that title at least.

I also agree that from what I have seen of them (which in Hunts case admittedly is not a lot) the people mentioned couldn't score some of the types of goals that Torres does in terms of his goals that involve dribbling past several men at pace.

Nobody is disputing his class but when he scores goals to win us FA Cup Finals and scores goals year after year like Rushie did then fair enough.

He has only has one outstanding season thus far and people are canonising him.

He is a great, great player and he could easily become second only to Rushie in goals scored for us. No way will be beat Rushies record as time isn't on his side. Rushie got into our first team when he was what 19-20 was it? Torres was 23.

He has the ability to be our best Number 9 ever but lets not diminish the feats of our greats.

His quality is really shown when he pulls the same two moves (running down the right and cutting in onto his left or going down the right and beating players on the outside) over and over again but defenders still can't adjust to it.

My favourite game from his is still the carling cup game against Reading, he humiliated the defence to the point they could only kick him in the air and he'd just get up give them a smile and go back to fucking them around.

Pretty much agree with JG's and Shit Waffle's posts in terms of him still having to prove that he is up there or better than our other great strikers. Think what I was trying to say was that for me the ability he has shown and the record he has in the games we have had him for show that purely in terms of ability he is up there with all of them. However I also accept that as has been pointed out he has to keep it up to fully earn a similar status.

Edited by Zippy

I think technically speaking he is the best forward I have ever seen. I caught the twilight of Rush's career. Saw Fowler in his pomp and Owen explode into football but I don't think any of them were "better players" than Torres. I'm not talking about greatness, or legendary status, I'm simply talking about ability. It Oozes from Fernando in a way I have never seen before

Edited by Paulie Dangerously

Nobody is disputing his class but when he scores goals to win us FA Cup Finals and scores goals year after year like Rushie did then fair enough.

He has only has one outstanding season thus far and people are canonising him.

He is a great, great player and he could easily become second only to Rushie in goals scored for us. No way will be beat Rushies record as time isn't on his side. Rushie got into our first team when he was what 19-20 was it? Torres was 23.

He has the ability to be our best Number 9 ever but lets not diminish the feats of our greats.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally with your post mate, and the underlined part is why I had a go at Nick.

I think technically speaking he is the best forward I have ever seen. I caught the twilight of Rush's career. Saw Fowler in his pomp and Owen explode into football but I don't think any of them were "better players" than Torres. I'm not talking about greatness, or legendary status, I'm simply talking about ability. It Oozes from Fernando in a way I have never seen before

Same, that's why he's probably my fave ever player already.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Have to be fair to the lad, as I don't really buy into the whole image thing he's got going on, local humble Madrid boy done good against the odds etc, not that I really think it matters either, he could eat baby's every Friday to build up his strength for all I care, anyway........

Thought it was ace the way he had the match ball signed by everyone in the dressing room, stood grinning like a loon during his MOTD interview, proper schoolboy stuff.

He is also the modern coaches perfect footballer, he has so much skill, grace, intelligence and variation in his game he would be a great striker regardless of his physical attributes, but when you factor in he's also physically perfect, pace, height, balance, strength and acceleration, then you really have hit the jackpot.

It's a given that he's not going to be 10/10 every game, but if he could maybe just be a little bit mentally stronger when things aren't going for him he would be absolutely peerless on the world stage

He`s played in one major final and scored the winner for his country, you can hardly criticise him for not making a final for Liverpool and if you remember he did his bit against Chelsea but the team let him down especially the defence.

I dont think any other LFC forward has had the total package like Fernando has. Rush never had his skill, fowler never had his pace and so on.

I nearly forgot to mention this classic from a Real Madrid fan last night, they have to be even more deluded than Manu or Chelsea fans

Basically the conversation was about Torres and how he wanted him at Real Madird, I pointed out he fucking hates Real Madrid becuase there wankers and his heart is in Athletico to which he said Raul used to play for Athletico. I then pointed out that he publicly has siad no amount of money would ever get him to play for Real and told him what he said about Xabi and how he only dreams of Red.

Anyway the bottom line is he is convinced that Perez will sign Torres next summer.

You couldnt make it up but it is true story folks