You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fernando Torres

RedinSweden

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how humble Torres is. It is all about the team. Ronaldo is really talented and has scored a load of goals the past few seasons, but I caught some of a Real Madrid game the other day and he was whining his way through, flapping his arms and gesticulating at his teamates. That sort of behaviour will eventually make the whole somewhat less than the sum of its parts and is a reason why I'd be cautious about Real Madrid, no matter how many galacticos they assemble, sweeping all before them and winning the biggest prizes as though it were a foregone conclusion.

But I digress. Torres is fantastic. I wouldn't swap him for another striker in the world. Arguably a fired up Drogba can be just as devastating, but those sort of performances are sporadic (and unfortunately usually against us).

I think Torres' best is better than Rush, Fowler or Owen. Obviously the latter three were all world class, but I think Torres has more to his game than any of them. But let's just consider Rushie's 346 goals for a moment. 346. That's right. Or 12 seasons at 30 goals a year (give or take and allowing for a niggle here and there). That's why Rush has top spot in my regard when I think of former strikers. The man was a machine, season after season after season.

I can only hope Nando stays here until he is 34-35 and then decides to go back to Atletico for a swansong season. He would then have an outside chance of catching Rushie, but only outside mind.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | S | Sunderland | Bruce in Bent blast over penalty

....By handing Jones the chance to convert the second penalty, Bent also missed the opportunity to go level at the top of the Premier League scoring charts with Wayne Rooney, who has six compared to the Sunderland man's five.

Eh?

League

Torres 8

Darren Bent 6

Didier Drogba 6

Wayne Rooney 6

Did anyone see the quotes earlier from Rafa about Torres?

How much is he worth? Well at least £70 million, you would say.

I'm not saying he's the best in the world because he is young and can get better, but of course he is one of the best, and he can still improve if he wants to.

This year we had some agents acting for other English clubs who were coming to us asking about the price of Torres – with big, big figures – but we said that he's not for sale.

I would say at this moment in time he is not for sale at any price.

That bit in bold is interesting. I don't know if i'm becoming cynical with the owners we have, but straight away I read that as, 'he's not for sale now, but next summer...'

Obviously I hope not, but did anyone else think anything similar?

The boy is phenomenal. Im not going to debate whether he's as good or better than Rush or Fowler though. There's just no need.

Talkshyte were up to their usual shyte talk this morning. Some absolute no mark stand in called 'danters'(?) was on with irani (yeah good prediction there lad that hull would get something out of the game) and claiming Torres 'doesnt score enough goals away from Anfield'!

Er hello! In his first season he didnt notch many away from Anfield but I think the last two seasons his ratio is as good as any other striker in the Prem.

Still, they're good for a laugh when you're feeling miserable at 6 am in the morning driving on a motorway roadworks.

Nomarks.

Think Sir Roger was number 8 wasn't he? Apologies if I am wrong.

Don't think you're wrong ... or right. Back then players didn't have their own numbers like today. Don't know about Hunt but remember Toshack wearing both the no. 9 and no. 10 shirt. So possibly Hunt had no. 8 on some occasions no. 9 on other.

Stevie's feeling left out

kcq7FvSlOkw

and wants you to know that:

"the statistics support the argument that they could be one of world football’s best partnerships: in the 77 games the pair have played together, they have scored 86 goals between them, Gerrard claiming 39 and Torres 47."