You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England for me. Watching JT lift the famous Jules Rimet trophy as Lamps does a copycat Nobby Styles dance down the touchline would fill me with pride.

Definitely. Id much rather see them pair of geezers lifting the world cup than Gerrard and Torres with big ears.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood the antipathy to be honest.

I lived through the worst excesses of Thatcher but as she detested the game I hardly see why this should stop me supporting the country I was born in. As for the 'team full of nobheads' point of view , I am sure Chelsea fans etc. think Stevie & Carra are tossers as it goes with the territory

My support for England is far less than my love for Liverpool but I can't see why I should apologise for wanting my country to win a trophy.

ps I have no problem with the Spain thing as the shirt is ace , as is Nando.

I do not understand why a grown up would wish to wear any team's shirt, especially with a name on it. Kids, that's OK, adults, well if you wish to show the colors, get a scarf...

The players wear the uniforms, that is enough for me, they've earned that particular honor.

why do you care? people have the freedom to wear whatever they want as long as it does not belong to any cunt of a club or country..

People can do any tacky thing they want, as far as I'm concerned. And I just have my opinion about it. Care? Not really. I would not do it myself, and many people would not wear clothes that I do.

England for me. Watching JT lift the famous Jules Rimet trophy as Lamps does a copycat Nobby Styles dance down the touchline would fill me with pride.

Neg fishing, deserves a quiet night

I'm not sure all these people understand

It's not like years ago,

The fear of getting caught,

Of recklessness and laughter

They cannot see me naked

These things, they go away,

Replaced by everyday

G8Chy_TZdwA

England 2010 World Cup Winners or Liverpool 2010 CL Winners?

Of course there's no comparision and to be frank, if that's what you think the debate is, you havent really be paying attention. I dont know of many serious going football fan who'd put england winning the world cup ahead of their team winning the CL. I do know of the odd one or two but that's mainly because their club hasnt got a cat in hell's chance of qualifying for the CL never mind winning it.

But you're confusing the issue. Replace England 2010 WC winner with Spain 2010 winners and, I'd expect we'd see mega loads of LFC fans sporting Spain shirts.

That's the bit I dont get my head around. Why wear a Spain shirt cos Torres is Spanish when if it were england, we'd have Gerrard.

Ireland are my national team of choice, and I have noticed the s*n advertising in the ground over the past few years. However, this year I have only sen the mirror inside the ground so I'm hoping they've got a better contract or something.

At home games if you see a green section playing music then thats the S*n sponsered part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at anyone on here, I'm not trying to lecture anyone or anything, I'm just giving my view on it. It's an interesting point you make about WAGS and stuff, because that sort of behaviour is increasingly being aspired to and celebrated in Liverpool these days. As is the gradual adoption of the Starbucks and other 'lifestyle' accoutrements that even 10 years ago would have been scorned by almost all scousers, being some sort of southern nancy boy behaviour.

I honestly think the WAG thing is more to do with the girls in the city rather than the lads. Most lads hate all that shit althgouh i'd imagine a few of them might go along with it in order to bang a bird with big tits. Every lad i know thinks that's shit but every major city in the country has Newz Bar type places now. In fact, i'd Liverpool has far less than most of the ones i've been to.

I really dont see the link with the Starbucks thing either. This city stood still while places like Leeds and Manchester left them in their wake in terms of facilities, services and any other modern addition that can be made to a city. People are glad we're catching up cos there's no denying that, inspite of it's history, Liverpool city centre was becoming an embarrassment. That's got nothing to do with loving footy and seeing the national team as the embodiment of everything that's wrong with the modern game.

Plus, Ferdinand, Neville, Rooney.....

I agree with that to an extent, and it was probably my fault for extending the debate into a more general cultural one about the antipathy a lot of scousers have for their country. There's a general suspicion in several parts of the country about the 'Engerland' thing, but gradually those things that we might hate about that sort of nonsense are becoming more pervasive at our own club.

I can't stand the lack of sportsmanship, the boorishness and 'who are ya' that we even see at Anfield from time to time. I hope it never takes hold.

I wouldn't do it myself but i think it's a way of saying 'Fuck England i support the team with the most Liverpool players in it' or, even more understandably 'a team without Rooney or Ferdinand in it.'

So if Liverpool were suddenly full of English internationals, the 'I hate England' brigade would start supporting them?

Don't think so, boss.

Loads of big clubs supporters couldnt give a fuck about their national team Europe wide.

Definitely true.

A lot of Real and Barca fans couldn't give a monkey's about Spain.

As in England, the Spanish national side tends to be supported mainly by the fans of clubs who have little domestic success.

So if Liverpool were suddenly full of English internationals, the 'I hate England' brigade would start supporting them?

Don't think so, boss.

Nope, i reckon they'd still dislike England for all the other reasons i mention but, seen as they dont feel that way about Spian, they'd be happy to follow their national side.

It's like in the World Cup where you'd tend to side with the team that contains one of our players.