You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Midfielders to replace Alonso if he goes.

Code

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guti shit other players not fit to lace his boots great? Some great footballing minds in here these days....

I don't agree that he is shit because on his day he can be very good.It's his attitude that lets him down badly and has done on numerous occasions,testing the patience of some very good managers along the way.

I doubt Benitez would go near him with the proverbial barge pole because a Liverpool player he does not make.

I don't agree that he is shit because on his day he can be very good.It's his attitude that lets him down badly and has done on numerous occasions,testing the patience of some very good managers along the way.

I doubt Benitez would go near him with the proverbial barge pole because a Liverpool player he does not make.

I thought we were pretty close to getting Guti two seasons ago, I might be wrong though?

I've said it elswhere already, but I don't think we'll bring in a playmaker to replace Xabi. I think Rafa's decision to let him go is as much a tactical decision as a financial one. I reckon he'll go for a player who'll get in the box and get us ten to fifteen goals a season.

Flamini is a short arse. With Mascherano already used up the midget central midfielder quota, we need someone at least 1.80m (Xabi's height), preferably a bit taller. Also, Flamini is more analogous to Mascherano than Alonso -- tough tackling, decent, but not top class passing, and rarely a goal.

Even if RM agree to exchange Sneijder + cash for Alonso, we'll still need reinforcement. Masch is 1.7m, Sneijder is 1.73m, Lucas is 1.73m -- we may end in the Argentina's way -- lack options and get overran in midfield too

easily.

Guti is a head case. Who needs drama queen that will only sag team's morale?

I've said it elswhere already, but I don't think we'll bring in a playmaker to replace Xabi. I think Rafa's decision to let him go is as much a tactical decision as a financial one. I reckon he'll go for a player who'll get in the box and get us ten to fifteen goals a season.

Agreed. Selling Xabi makes no sense at all unless Rafa wants to bring in a different type of player or drop Gerrard back into the centre. That said, my view would still be one of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Agreed. Selling Xabi makes no sense at all unless Rafa wants to bring in a different type of player or drop Gerrard back into the centre. That said, my view would still be one of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

You could argue that because we did not win the league, "it is broke". If things remain the same, it's likely that we can't expect more than 5 goals from our central midfield. You could argue that's a tactical issue, but I can't see Xabi or Masch being goal scorers no matter what the tactical set up is. It's just not their strength. So we rely on our front four to score the vast majority of our goals: Kuyt had 12 league goals, Torres had 14, Gerrard had 16, Yossi had 8, Riera had 3, and Babel had 3. Would an extra 5 goals from Masch and Xabi's positions been the difference between where we finished and the title?

Something is broke because we are for the 3rd season running, empty handed, but I think it's too risky to fix the lack of productivity from the midfield. This is not the season to attempt changing our style of play, which Xabi and Masch dictated so well last year. It's much less risky to buy a more productive left sided player.