You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Midfielders to replace Alonso if he goes.

Code

So you are advocating moving an inferior player to 4th choice ahead of a superior player? Why?

No, I was making the point that promising youngsters should be used as back up players instead of those who cost £6M.

If Spearing had been given that fourth choice role and Lucas hadn't been bought, then maybe the club would have saved £6M.

Now that Lucas is here, I can understand that he's ahead of Spearing and i'm not advocating changing that.

People seem to like putting words into other people's mouths!

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Xabi leaves, I don't Rafa will buy someone tremendous to replace him. I will be expecting a Martinez/Johnson/Defour deal with Lucas being used more often, probably Spearing featuring more as well.

This also what I would like to see.

I am very torn.

Part of me think Benitez should sign a central midfield to replace Alonso and keep Gerrard behind Torres, as in my opinion he's the best supporting striker in the world. However there are very few players who are good enough, available and would come to our club.

Therefore part of me thinks maybe we should use Gerrard in centre midfield more and get someone to partner Torres. Be it Benayoun or a new signing, as there seems to be far more choice and quality around in this area. Plus putting Gerrard in midfield might help us break down sides at Anfield more as we'll have a goal threat from centre midfield as well as out wide and the two attackers, which we don't currently have with Alonso and Mascherano.

Ideally we'd keep Gerrard where he is, but I think maybe we should consider putting him back if there is not a good enough replacement for Alonso around. We are probably going to alter our style slightly anyway as Alonso is such a key part in how we play. Maybe putting Gerrard in centre midfield we'd see less draws at Anfield?!

I don't know. Think Benitez has a tough decision to make. I can see positives and negatives in buying a replacement or using Gerrard. I'm torn.

I am very torn.

Part of me think Benitez should sign a central midfield to replace Alonso and keep Gerrard behind Torres, as in my opinion he's the best supporting striker in the world. However there are very few players who are good enough, available and would come to our club.

Therefore part of me thinks maybe we should use Gerrard in centre midfield more and get someone to partner Torres. Be it Benayoun or a new signing, as there seems to be far more choice and quality around in this area. Plus putting Gerrard in midfield might help us break down sides at Anfield more as we'll have a goal threat from centre midfield as well as out wide and the two attackers, which we don't currently have with Alonso and Mascherano.

Ideally we'd keep Gerrard where he is, but I think maybe we should consider putting him back if there is not a good enough replacement for Alonso around. We are probably going to alter our style slightly anyway as Alonso is such a key part in how we play. Maybe putting Gerrard in centre midfield we'd see less draws at Anfield?!

I don't know. Think Benitez has a tough decision to make. I can see positives and negatives in buying a replacement or using Gerrard. I'm torn.

[YOUTUBE]myg4AzJ6wTI[/YOUTUBE]

I am very torn.

Benitez has already made that decision. He told Voronin he wouldn't get game time ahead of his first choice strikers Torres and Gerrard. PLaying Gerrard as a holding midfielder was a bad idea in theory and was shown to be a bad idea in practice.

Benitez has already made that decision. He told Voronin he wouldn't get game time ahead of his first choice strikers Torres and Gerrard. PLaying Gerrard as a holding midfielder was a bad idea in theory and was shown to be a bad idea in practice.

I don't want him to play in that position.

I just think maybe it should be considered if we can't find an adaquate replacement for Torres.

If we have Villa and Torres upfront, I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard in midfield.

Sure, it's not great for him individually. But as a team we'd be more threatening as a result. Plus he can still play games in his favoured role at times.

This is a fucking long shot alright, but does anyone else think Rieira has the qualities to play centre midfield? Maybe not for Liverpool, but technically i think he's VERY sound.

He definitely couldn't play the holding role for us, but there was a game in the confederations cup where he played very narrow almost behind the striker and he was really good.

This is a fucking long shot alright, but does anyone else think Rieira has the qualities to play centre midfield? Maybe not for Liverpool, but technically i think he's VERY sound.

I think he could do well against the weaker sides we play, but I think he'd be exposed against stronger opposition in the big games, particularly in Europe.

In saying that, The Scum have won the league for two years in a row despite not having anywhere near the quality we have in central midfield, so maybe we could use the likes of Riera, Lucas and Spearing and spend the money on a top quality forward player.

That's all a myth. And what about the workrate? He'd be the engine in the engine room.

If Kuyt was going to play in CM he would have to be on the move constantly, not short sprints like he does today just to stop and watch the player run away from him because he is too slow to ever catch them.

Kuyts workrate is a myth, he has a pretty busy running style though when he actually bothers to run after another ball loss.