You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

So my, admittedly Twitter, understanding of the airport thing is that a lot of these people are native Afghans who have helped the US regime with interpretation duties and stuff like that. They've just been completely abandoned then? Like, to the mercy of the Taliban who, I would imagine, don't take kindly to collaborators.

With pictures being shared around the world, Shirley the yanks will face a frostier reception when they're delivering a bunch of freedom to the next country. 

3 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

So my, admittedly Twitter, understanding of the airport thing is that a lot of these people are native Afghans who have helped the US regime with interpretation duties and stuff like that. They've just been completely abandoned then? Like, to the mercy of the Taliban who, I would imagine, don't take kindly to collaborators.

With pictures being shared around the world, Shirley the yanks will face a frostier reception when they're delivering a bunch of freedom to the next country. 

I saw a report offering a suggestion that any Taliban Govt. will offer amnesty to anyone involved in activities that may have been considered collaboration. 

If I was one such person, I’d be dubious about that. They don’t strike me as the most trustworthy of individuals.

Mind you, neither do US Govt. Officials, or UK Govt. Official and so on.

They've been royally fucked over and those with influence should not rest until this wrong has been made right. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I saw a report offering a suggestion that any Taliban Govt. will offer amnesty to anyone involved in activities that may have been considered collaboration. 

If I was one such person, I’d be dubious about that. They don’t strike me as the most trustworthy of individuals.

Mind you, neither do US Govt. Officials, or UK Govt. Official and so on.

They've been royally fucked over and those with influence should not rest until this wrong has been made right. 

Yeah I'm with you mate. 

"No, no, you got it all wrong"

Complete amnesty? No, beheading now!"

• Upvote 1

Like clockwork…

Unlike Western countries, which scrambled to get their diplomats out of the country as the Taliban completed its military takeover of the country this weekend, Russia has said its embassy in Kabul will stay open.

Ambassador Dmitry Zhirnov told Russian state media that the Taliban had already started to guard his embassy.

Foreign ministry official Zamir Kabulov said on Monday that Russia would decide on recognising the new Taliban government based “on the conduct of the new authorities”.

Russia will take part in an emergency UN security council meeting on Afghanistandue later Monday.

The Kremlin has in recent years reached out to the Taliban and hosted its representatives in Moscow several times, most recently last month.’

You guys ever see videos of these Taliban tribunals they do to resolve crimes or whatever in the villages in which they control?

It's like; "you've been summoned today because your son spent too much money on his engagement party".

"But sir, the in-laws decided to invite more people, more women, it's not my fault. I am ready to be hanged if found guilty, but not without proof", he says to a bunch of guys sitting on a carpet in the sand with 3 papers in front of them, as "legal files".

These people live in a different world. And that footage showing that was a puff piece documentary from France 24 English that the Taliban allowed.

44 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Like clockwork…

Unlike Western countries, which scrambled to get their diplomats out of the country as the Taliban completed its military takeover of the country this weekend, Russia has said its embassy in Kabul will stay open.

Ambassador Dmitry Zhirnov told Russian state media that the Taliban had already started to guard his embassy.

Foreign ministry official Zamir Kabulov said on Monday that Russia would decide on recognising the new Taliban government based “on the conduct of the new authorities”.

Russia will take part in an emergency UN security council meeting on Afghanistandue later Monday.

The Kremlin has in recent years reached out to the Taliban and hosted its representatives in Moscow several times, most recently last month.’

Say what you will, the Russians know who to pick to talk about the Afghanistan issues. 

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Mad how all the armchair experts on British constitutional law, who were then armchair experts on international trade deals, who were then armchair experts on virology and epidemiology are now experts on Middle East conflict resolution. 

I'm such an expert on the Middle East that I know that Afghanistan isn't in it.

• Upvote 1

We in the west are just standing by and watching millions of women and girls be condemned to a miserable dark ages existence for decades to come.
 It’s just fucking horrific. I don’t know what to do but the idea that we just walk away and leave them to get on with it is unthinkable but that’s what’s happening. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

We in the west are just standing by and watching millions of women and girls be condemned to a miserable dark ages existence for decades to come.
 It’s just fucking horrific. I don’t know what to do but the idea that we just walk away and leave them to get on with it is unthinkable but that’s what’s happening. 

I'm sure there'll be a solidarity march through London for the Afghanis.

16 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Anyone know what happened to isr? He made some interesting points at the start of this thread. 

He was an interesting chap. Once described the Taliban as "misguided", which I think is understating it just a tad. I wonder if he still thinks homosexuality is immoral.

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Varoufakis is celebrating the end of "liberal-neocon imperialism". Stop The War Coalition is demanding reparations for Afghanistan. There's a lot of time left in the day, but these are some strong opening bids.

Thought Charlie Kennedy and the libs were the sensible ones who advised staying out of these places/conflicts? So were against this 'neo con imperialism'

https://www.thejournal.ie/chilcot-charles-kennedy-2867869-Jul2016/

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah just like the 2010 march in London against the war in Afghanistan 

And without wanting to out myself as a thicko, would people even know what they are marching about now? The situation is such a mess, so complicated, so fractious, how would people coalesce?

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

And without wanting to out myself as a thicko, would people even know what they are marching about now? The situation is such a mess, so complicated, so fractious, how would people coalesce?

I think people marching in solidarity with oppressed people is a good thing. I mean what decent person wouldn’t ?