You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Football Books Thread

Paul

What was the one Nicky Alt wrote about the Annie Road casuals?

I enjoyed it

Boys From The Mersey. It’s on Kindle Unlimited, as is Here We Go Gathering Cups In May.

I read the first one the other week and whilst there’s a few funny stories in there, I came away with the distinct impression that Nicky Alt is a bit of a dickhead.

I made a start on Gathering Cups in May but then Christmas got in the way. I’ll get back into it in the next few days.

Here We Go Gathering Cups In May is a great read too. A really fascinating insight to fans experiences in getting to all those European Cup finals. The Heysel chapter does make for uncomfortable reading though. The only real downside to this book though is because it's written by Liverpool fans from Liverpool, (I always feel uncomfortable referring to Liverpudlians as Scousers.) it does get a bit of a feel of OOT bashing. Tony Barrett always seemed like a sound bloke to me and I dare say he is but after reading that book I get the feel he'd have no time for a supporter like me who doesn't come from Liverpool.

Always thought this was a bit strange, given the club has always been proudly - built virtually - by Scottish and Irish, and then the Grobelaars, Craig Johnstons, Jan Molbys, Barneses of glorious eras.

I speak as a 10,000-mile-away Wool, of course (barring my years in town from 89-91)... but at times I have found this a slightly deflating reality of my being a lividly proud Liverpool supporter.

Boys From The Mersey. It’s on Kindle Unlimited, as is Here We Go Gathering Cups In May.

I read the first one the other week and whilst there’s a few funny stories in there, I came away with the distinct impression that Nicky Alt is a bit of a dickhead.

I made a start on Gathering Cups in May but then Christmas got in the way. I’ll get back into it in the next few days.

Red Machine and Men in White Suits by Simon Hughes are decent.

Living On The Volcano by Michael Calvin is excellent. Each chapter features an in-depth interview with a different manager throughout the divisions at some point in 2014/15 (I think). Brendan's chapter is heavy on the Brentisms, but worth a read none the less.

Karl Robinson's chapter is very interesting. A Scouser, he's exasperated because Liverpool won't pay the modest few million that would get them Delle Alli. 

Sean Dyche's chapter is good too from what I remember. More of a thinker about the game than you might imagine.

I remember enjoying Extra Time by Kevin Sampson - his account of following Liverpool during the 1997-98 season. I'd re-read it, as it would probably be quite interesting all these years on, but I'm far too busy watching reruns of early 1980s Bullseye and playing myself at Buckaroo.

I remember enjoying that too, I think I even read it twice, very entertaining. I also liked his hooligan novel about Tranmere fans.

• 2 years later...

If you sign up to this site and order before midnight tomorrow (Monday) using the code ‘KLOPP19’ then you can get these two books for £12. 

Klopp - Notes on a Season

Henderson- Notes on a Season

https://reachsportshop.com/book/jordan-henderson-notes-on-a-season/

Hardback books, looks like it’s all programme notes and other various bits and pieces they wrote on the way to number 19. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Listening to 'Quiet Genius' book on Bob Paisley. Funny listening to the difference in the offfield stuff from that era. Holiday were a week in a caravan site in Rhyl or a week in a small holiday let somewhere. Paisley and his Wife fell in love with the nylon sheets they had in a place they stayed on a long weekend so bought one pair. Bob and Billy Liddell used to jump on the bus together to training 

Football has definitely lost something from that era. Even if its played at a better quality,higher tempo and far more accessible these days. Feels like the maverick type player has gone. Everyone's a athlete these days  players feel so removed from the fans. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/07/2022 at 19:21, Lee909 said:

Listening to 'Quiet Genius' book on Bob Paisley. Funny listening to the difference in the offfield stuff from that era. Holiday were a week in a caravan site in Rhyl or a week in a small holiday let somewhere. Paisley and his Wife fell in love with the nylon sheets they had in a place they stayed on a long weekend so bought one pair. Bob and Billy Liddell used to jump on the bus together to training 

Football has definitely lost something from that era. Even if its played at a better quality,higher tempo and far more accessible these days. Feels like the maverick type player has gone. Everyone's a athlete these days  players feel so removed from the fans. 

Fans are so removed from the players especially.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m sure the Paul McGrath autobiography has been mentioned in this thread and many others. 

His daughter in law is good mates with the missus and he’s in a good place at the moment. He has a positive relationship with his son and is actively involved with the grandkids. 

Not sure why I mention it but it really moved me hearing that last night. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I’m sure the Paul McGrath autobiography has been mentioned in this thread and many others. 

His daughter in law is good mates with the missus and he’s in a good place at the moment. He has a positive relationship with his son and is actively involved with the grandkids. 

Not sure why I mention it but it really moved me hearing that last night. 

Agreed. It doesn’t often go that way, once you’ve been where it sounds like he has. Hope he can maintain it, and continues to get whatever help he needs. 

Went on a spŕee on ebay for a load of football and boxing books. Mostly for next year as I plan to get a nice covered seating areas outside,so will spend more time reading. 

Oh and a new canvas print for above the drink shelves in my tv/games room

20220805_192310.jpg

20220805_192337.jpg

20220805_192355.jpg

• Upvote 5