You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His goals to game ratio is up there with the best and we can only speculate how many goals he would score for a team who actually created loads for chances for him.

That kind of rules us out no matter how you look at it.

• 1 year later...

Liverpool have made an enquiry for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent.

The 27-year-old will be sacrificed by Villa boss Alex McLeish as he attempts to bolster the mid-table side's transfer kitty during the upcoming window.

Speculation over Bent's future has began to mount after injury sidelined him for Villa's 2-0 defeat to Liverpool earlier this month yet was photographed shopping in Cambridge on the same day.

His fire power and link-up play with England team mate Stewart Downing, who left Villa last summer, is understood to be the key motivation for Liverpool's Champions League charge.

Kenny Dalglish has been mulling over a move for the well-travelled hit man in light of the club's lack of clinical edge in front of goal, which has resulted in six home draws.

Luis Suarez's goal tally has stalled while Andy Carroll continues to shoulder the burden of the excessive £35million price tag which lured him to Anfield just 11 months prior.

Monday's stalemate with bottom club Blackburn Rovers has prompted Liverpool to signal their intent for Bent, who appears set to leave Villa Park almost a year since his arrival.

In spite of McLeish's doubt that 'anybody' could afford the club's record signing, the former Sunderland man will be allowed to leave for significantly less than his £24million valuation.

But Liverpool face competition from both Fulham and newly-promoted Queens Park Rangers.

Damien Comolli, the Reds' director of football, admitted last January that the club had considered a move for Bent prior to his move to Villa but claimed that his "lone wolf" approach to games would have proved incompatible with striker Fernando Torres, who later joined Chelsea.

Liverpool FC make enquiry for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Interesting.

I did put this in the Andy Carroll thread but it never got a response so I assumed it was just bollocks:

Forgive me for not reading previous posts but is there actually in this Darren Bent story? Are we actually in for him and is there any reliable info to back this up?

I know it was mentioned in the Blackburn match report but is that it?

However, maybe there is something in it.

Is 'Click Liverpool' affiliated to the Echo?

Interesting.

Beantown Red in one of the Andy Carroll threads put up his goals tally... He defo knows where the goal is and is exactly what we need right now, unless Sandra Redknapp is available. :whistle:

Goals

2010-11 - 20

2009-10 - 25

2008-09 - 17

2007-08 - 7 (only 13 starts)

2006-07 - 16

2005-06 - 22

2004-05 - 20

2003-04 - 17

2002-03 - 18

Beantown Red in one of the Andy Carroll threads put up his goals tally... He defo knows where the goal is and is exactly what we need right now, unless Sandra Redknapp is available. :whistle:

Goals

2010-11 - 20

2009-10 - 25

2008-09 - 17

2007-08 - 7 (only 13 starts)

2006-07 - 16

2005-06 - 22

2004-05 - 20

2003-04 - 17

2002-03 - 18

Consistent. Would be an interesting shout, for the right price.

I know he scores goals and all, but i still wouldn't have him, and definitely not at the £20m minimum it would cost. We need to be closing the gap on the others, not threading water, which is exactly what a signing like this would be. There's a reason he's 28 and still playing for club like Villa, that's his level.

If his goals got us 4th place then I think it would have paid for itself. If we could do a deal for around £15m then I think it's worth pursuing, anymore than that then we need to learn how to walk away.

Good signing for a team looking to secure Europa league football. Should have brought Cisse back in the summer. 1/4 of the price for the same player.
apart from the fact that Cisse doesn't understand the offside rule and his goals record is not as good as Bent. Other than that ye the same player carry on.

12 months nearly since Dalglish's return to the club. Club legend, has us playing pass and move football again,on the periphery of the top 5. But let's assess his signings? In my opinion, although we are a stronger team and squad, he ha bought poorly particularly the Carroll,Downing and Adam signings. All bought from relegated and mid tier Premier League teams. Did you really expect excellence from any of those three all bought for a combined 62m. How a top manager could spend that on three very moderate, underwhelming players defies logic. What has let LFC down the past 20 years give or take the Hicks and Gillet era is ineffective management in the transfer market. I just hope Dalglish doesn't go the same way.

Bent? Just another British journeyman. Mediocre. Has Kenny learned his lesson after multiple poor signings? Hope so

overrated overpriced british talent - just our type of signing

we'll sell him for less than half what we paid for him in a couple of years and he won't cope with the pressure of playing for a club that aspires for champions league, will score a few but is certainly not the solution - rather he is part of the ongoing problem with regard to signing policy

we are becoming like the villa team of a couple of years ago, a lot of decent english players, good enough for sixth - Liverpool deserve better

Almost two years later and my opinion has not changed.

It would be a big, big mistake.

You might be right, he has never really been tested at the highest level, surely though the amount of chances we are creating he would find the back of the net for us more often than not, most of his goals are in and around the penalty area so he has the movement to create space and anticipate where/when the ball will arrive.

He's pretty much a goal every 2 games on average.

Ipswich 2.5

Charlton 2.1

Tottenham 3.3

Sunderland 1.8

Villa 2.1

His first game for England came at Anfield in 2006 vs Uruguay. It's an omen.

His England stats, 10 games and 3 goals. He scores goals fairly consistently according to the stats above, but like some have said there is a reason he is nearly 28 and plays for Villa in spite of those stats!

If we can get him cheap then I'd take a chance, but the problem is we wont get him cheap!

He scores goals cause he's at mediocre clubs that are completely set around hitting teams on the break and using him. He might have actually done alright under Houllier's tactics.

Darren Bent is not the answer to break teams down at Anfield. He's not a great finisher either and has always missed as many as he put away, you get away with that at Charlton and Villa, not at Anfield.

If we've got £20m to spend on a forward in January, then there's no doubt we can do better. Decent signing for half the price at most but there's no chance he's leaving Villa for much less then twenty.

apart from the fact that Cisse doesn't understand the offside rule and his goals record is not as good as Bent. Other than that ye the same player carry on.

No. That's not correct. Statistically they're roughly the same, Cisse's scoring ratio is better, but he spent some time in easier scoring league like Greece.

It'd be disappointing if we go for Bent. That's a solution that is neither dazzling nor creative. Easy options don't take anybody very far.

I think he is worth a punt.

He has scored goals everywhere he has been and we are creating chances for fun.

He isn't a great player, but he is a very good finisher and that is what our side lacks.

Get him, get Champs League football and then we can attract the likes of Hazard, Hulk and Cavani this summer who can really enhance this side.

If he gets us Champs League football, which I think he could, then he'll have paid for himself. Maybe try and swap him for Carroll.

He scores goals cause he's at mediocre clubs that are completely set around hitting teams on the break and using him. He might have actually done alright under Houllier's tactics.

Darren Bent is not the answer to break teams down at Anfield. He's not a great finisher either and has always missed as many as he put away, you get away with that at Charlton and Villa, not at Anfield.

If we've got £20m to spend on a forward in January, then there's no doubt we can do better. Decent signing for half the price at most but there's no chance he's leaving Villa for much less then twenty.

This.

He is not going to get better either... He's what 28 years old?