You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Going away next weekend with seven other lads. Most have recently turned fifty, or will be doing relatively soon. 

This type of thing used to be right up my street. I’ve had many a rollicking good time in all the usual places across Europe. 

It’ll just be drinking all day and night, there’ll no doubt be drugs involved which I know I should leave well alone. We’ll have the same arguments we’ve been having for thirty plus years. Nobody will admit they’re wrong.

We’re only going to Whitby but I just can’t be arsed. To be endured, rather than enjoyed I think. I’m definitely getting old. 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Going away next weekend with seven other lads. Most have recently turned fifty, or will be doing relatively soon. 

This type of thing used to be right up my street. I’ve had many a rollicking good time in all the usual places across Europe. 

It’ll just be drinking all day and night, there’ll no doubt be drugs involved which I know I should leave well alone. We’ll have the same arguments we’ve been having for thirty plus years. Nobody will admit they’re wrong.

We’re only going to Whitby but I just can’t be arsed. To be endured, rather than enjoyed I think. I’m definitely getting old. 

Some lovely pubs in Whitby 

Thorpe Park, some good coasters there but it's a young man's game now. A ride in Denmark a few years ago knocked me first because it went backwards and upside down. Guts didn't settle down for a day and I genuinely thought I was gonna ruin my new vomit-streak.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Thorpe Park, some good coasters there but it's a young man's game now. A ride in Denmark a few years ago knocked me first because it went backwards and upside down. Guts didn't settle down for a day and I genuinely thought I was gonna ruin my new vomit-streak.

I used to love going on fair ground/themepark rides but went on some waltzers with my son a couple of years ago and went on a pure whitey for the rest of the afternoon, so bad the wife had to drive me car home and I threw up when we got home.

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I used to love going on fair ground/themepark rides but went on some waltzers with my son a couple of years ago and went on a pure whitey for the rest of the afternoon, so bad the wife had to drive me car home and I threw up when we got home.

It's this apparently. From Reddit.

Your basic answer is, roughly, you have this set of ring-shaped structures inside your ears that amount to a sixth sense. They tend to inform you about which way is up and how your body is accelerating. This sense can make you unhappy in various ways if your body is accelerating oddly, or if what it detects doesn't match up well with what your vision declares to be true. That's the source of people becoming car-sick, for example.

It has to do with your vestibular system. The fluid in it doesn't move as easily as you get older, and so those quick changes in position make you feel bad. It's like vertigo, in a way.

• Upvote 1

Having no mates.

I've realised recently I've only got two left who are good to go at a moment's notice for anything remotely social, the rest are bogged down in various life shit.

It's even got to the point now where there's a lad who I work with and also lives by me and I've been trying to subtly befriend him with comments like 'well if you're ever down that way for a pint give me a shout.'

But he seemingly only does things with his wife and dog.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Your basic answer is, roughly, you have this set of ring-shaped structures inside your ears that amount to a sixth sense. They tend to inform you about which way is up and how your body is accelerating. This sense can make you unhappy in various ways if your body is accelerating oddly, or if what it detects doesn't match up well with what your vision declares to be true. That's the source of people becoming car-sick, for example.

It has to do with your vestibular system. The fluid in it doesn't move as easily as you get older, and so those quick changes in position make you feel bad. It's like vertigo, in a way.

Vertigo is something I know get but wasnt even aware I had when I was young. Dizziness and sickness will wipe me out for a whole day.

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I feel proper wiped out tonight. 12 crazy rollercoaster rides in 1 day. I’m too old for this. 

Took my daughter on this ride a couple of years ago. The fucker is 370ft high and hits 112mph in 5 seconds from standing. To make it worse she wanted to go on the front and they make you wear goggles to protect your eyes.

Got a video of us on it and I look like wile e fucking coyote. The little monster made me go on it again with her and I’m going to Orlando in August so I’ve got 2 weeks of it then. I used to take this shit in my stride, now I’m popping Kwells like they’re going out of fashion.

DC98A734-498C-4248-8EB9-B59121159CCE.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Took my daughter on this ride a couple of years ago. The fucker is 370ft high and hits 112mph in 5 seconds from standing. To make it worse she wanted to go on the front and they make you wear goggles to protect your eyes.

Got a video of us on it and I look like wile e fucking coyote. The little monster made me go on it again with her and I’m going to Orlando in August so I’ve got 2 weeks of it then. I used to take this shit in my stride, now I’m popping Kwells like they’re going out of fashion.

DC98A734-498C-4248-8EB9-B59121159CCE.jpeg

Where is that fucker ? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Where is that fucker ? 

It’s in Ferrari Land in Salou. It’s part of the bigger Portaventura park but is a park in its own right. Not loads of rides there but that thing is just flat out mental. It’s actually 140ft higher than the Big One in Blackpool and can’t be used when it’s a bit windy.

• Upvote 2

Fair rides have never done it for me, I think I've got some kind of adrenaline deficit, instead of getting excited I feel weak and my legs wobble. As you can imagine, this has always made me uniquely unsuited to fighting too.

• Upvote 1

Prostates! When I was younger I could drink as much as I wanted and still sleep through the night. These days I’m lucky to wake up only once or twice due to my enlarged prostate. I finally decided to get a bladder neck incision (drill through the prostate basically), had the op, catheter removed, couldn’t piss due to muscle retention, catheter refitted (only time I’ve ever wished for a smaller knob) and sent home with a flip/flow on the end of it which is essentially a tap.

I woke up last night and went for a piss then woke up this morning soaking wet as I’d forgotten to close the tap back up when I finished due to being half asleep. My grandson, who is 6, sometimes has problems and wets his bed. He’s now delighted that he can say his grandad does it too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Buying music. Especially as a DJ.

Long gone are the days of a trip into Preston or Wigan to buy dance music on vinyl. Granted it was expensive at between £5-£8 per vinyl and buying 10 vinyls a week could make a dent in your money.

A lot of it was the social aspect, meeting other DJs and promoters. Many a laugh was had in record shops over the years. 3Beat had some proper moody arses working in there but had an awesome range of stuff. The old HMV in Liverpool was a great place too for dance music.

Recently, I decided to start getting back into DJing and so on. Invested in an "All-in-One" system to use alongside my 1210s and I've started buying tunes online. Bought 30 tunes about three weeks with another 30 lined up this week. It cost me £35. As mentioned previously, price wise, the same amount of tunes on vinyl would've set me back £150-£240 + fuel getting to the shops. Great for a tight arse like me but I do miss the social side of buying music.

Just doesn't feel the same anymore.

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Prostates! When I was younger I could drink as much as I wanted and still sleep through the night. These days I’m lucky to wake up only once or twice due to my enlarged prostate. I finally decided to get a bladder neck incision (drill through the prostate basically), had the op, catheter removed, couldn’t piss due to muscle retention, catheter refitted (only time I’ve ever wished for a smaller knob) and sent home with a flip/flow on the end of it which is essentially a tap.

I woke up last night and went for a piss then woke up this morning soaking wet as I’d forgotten to close the tap back up when I finished due to being half asleep. My grandson, who is 6, sometimes has problems and wets his bed. He’s now delighted that he can say his grandad does it too.

Star_Trek_suicide.gif

• Upvote 1

Speaking of fairground rides I was meant to be taking Turdsette down to a fair that’s passing through town here today, but they apparently packed up and fucked off last night, leaving me right up shit creek. 

My mate rang me last night and it appears he’s up there too without a paddle so now I’m up early to go to fucking Southend instead with his kids who are batshit mental. Only saving grace is I’m not driving. 

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Speaking of fairground rides I was meant to be taking Turdsette down to a fair that’s passing through town here today, but they apparently packed up and fucked off last night, leaving me right up shit creek. 

Take it to the Gyppos thread