You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hypothetical but serious question

ted tucker

It's funny how you can be called 'negative' by people who then come out and say that we'd struggle to get a decent manager in if Rafa left.

Think about it for a second. Regularly in the top four in what's seen as the best league in the world. One of the best teams ion Europe. A squad full of class players and a club rich in history and heritage.

If the likes of Tottenham can attract someone as successful as Ramos, then we could do similar. Managers are nowhere near as motivated by money as players are. Obviously the ownership situtation isn't ideal, but that's football these days.

Anyone who would scoff at the chance of managing us down to money or climate is well avoided anyway...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By all accounts, Ramos was very pissed off that Tottenham ended up as his only serious offer - apparently, he was convinced he was going to get the Chelsea job when Mourinho went.

Depressing thread this, you can hear the drool dripping down people's chins at the thought of Hiddink or Rijkaard.

There have been suggestions that an incentive for a strong managerial candidate is the quality of the squad/ spine that is available. We may be presumptuous in thinking that that they would be willing to stay. Players such as Gerrard may be unwilling to go through yet another period of rebuilding/ transition before winning trophies.

Also, I disagree with the others who feel that the leadership/ ownership issue is one where an incumbent is willing to accept given the other positives. Those among us who have experienced working for 2 bosses would probably disagree. Several forumites have cited the example of Barcelona, but as I recall and correct me if I am wrong but there was minimal disagreement between Laporta and Rikjaard. The only valid example that bears comparison is Valencia and we can see the impact of poor leadership on the club.

There have been suggestions that an incentive for a strong managerial candidate is the quality of the squad/ spine that is available. We may be presumptuous in thinking that that they would be willing to stay. Players such as Gerrard may be unwilling to go through yet another period of rebuilding/ transition before winning trophies.

Players are as fickle as fans. Look at Chelsea where they all said how devastated they were to see Mourinho leave and would all probably be following him out of the club. Not one player has done so and they're all now queuing up to tell the press how much they love Scolari.

Paul, I would agree with what you have said if you look at the quality of the squad at the new manager's disposal in isolation. But when you consider the surfeit of other negative issues, surely you can acknowledge the possibility of key players wanting to depart. The reason why I raised Gerrard specifically is because of his age which is supposedly when professionals are at their peak.

Paul, I would agree with what you have said if you look at the quality of the squad at the new manager's disposal in isolation. But when you consider the surfeit of other negative issues, surely you can acknowledge the possibility of key players wanting to depart. The reason why I raised Gerrard specifically is because of his age which is supposedly when professionals are at their peak.

No mate, I don't. I honestly think the vast majority of players in world football would jump at the chance to join us and that the ones who are already here by and large love it and would stay in most circumstances - certainly as long as they had a crack at the CL every season, were in with a shout at trophies and had a good salary. A change of manager wouldn't change those things in all likelihod.

Players are as fickle as fans. Look at Chelsea where they all said how devastated they were to see Mourinho leave and would all probably be following him out of the club. Not one player has done so and they're all now queuing up to tell the press how much they love Scolari.
Disingenuous Master Natton. They didn't go from Mourinho to Scolari, did they? There was the little matter of Avram Grant in the interim, and he seemed to be as popular amongst the Chelsea players as a dose of the crabs.

Disingenuous Master Natton. They didn't go from Mourinho to Scolari, did they? There was the little matter of Avram Grant in the interim, and he seemed to be as popular amongst the Chelsea players as a dose of the crabs.

Yes, but how many left when Grant became manager? None of the established first team that I can think of. And those same players are saying such nice things about mr scolari now.

Yes, but how many left when Grant became manager? None of the established first team that I can think of. And those same players are saying such nice things about mr scolari now.

If Grant was still manager it would be a fair point, but he is not.

But crucially they didn't leave, did they? Surely that strengthens the point.

But crucially they didn't leave, did they? Surely that strengthens the point.

I accept your general point but the departure of a manager can unsettle players just like the departure of a boss in any walk of life. Some will be glad, some not bothered but some will be thinking "where does that leave me?"

Chelsea haven't lost players but they had to give Lampard a ridiculous contract to keep him. Drogba would want to go if a big club offered him a big contract. Chelsea also have the advantage that their players would almost certainly have to take a drop in wages if they left.