You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Voice of all time

Nick Leeson

Not all the time, just sometimes. About three minutes into Paranoid Android I want to either bum him or be him, I can't decide which.

"Raaaaaaaiiiiiin down, raaaaaain down....."

Haha, I've just scrolled through this thread with the express purpose of seeing if you'd mentioned Thom Yorke yet, before I did so myself. Shame on the rest of you for not appreciating greatness.

I will take your ''Raaaaaaiiiiiin down'' though and raise you a ''It weeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrssssssss'' two and half minutes into Fake Plastic Trees.

Can't believe this thread has got to 20 replies without a mention of Johnny Cash.

James Earl Jones deserves a shout as well.

there is another right-thinking individual !

i'll add billy holliday to that as well......sultry and smoky.

Guest TK-421
Shawn Smith isn't the world's strongest singer but he has a really interesting voice.

Interesting but I thought he had good range too, although I don't really know what I'm talking about here. He can do all the high, fancy shit, yeah?

Check out some Big Chief. Mack Avenue Skull Game and Platinum Jive two great records, they've split up now though.

Frank Black is a good shout. Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening.

Away from all the grungey/indie stuff I dig Prince and Whitney.

Interesting but I thought he had good range too, although I don't really know what I'm talking about here. He can do all the high, fancy shit, yeah?

I think his singing voice tends to be high. I am no expert but I don't think he's got a massive range, in the Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston/Jeff Buckley sense.

Guest TK-421
I think his singing voice tends to be high. I am no expert but I don't think he's got a massive range, in the Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston/Jeff Buckley sense.

No, but for the kind of bands he sings in he offers something different.

There's some good stuff on here, but I'd have to go for Especially the years 60-62 and 67-73, no one better IMO.

Hallelulah (sp?) first time I heard that was on Shrek:whistle: and didn't pay it much attention, but just lately come to realise just what a great song it is.

Paul Weller, whilst probably not the best singer, deserves a mention, for singing with such passion and feeling, some of the early Jam stuff is fantastic, whilst Liam Gallagher deserves a mention, he may be a prize knob, but he can sing rock n roll.

Lennon is often overlooked as a rock n roll singer, but, listen to Money, Twist & Shout and Rock n Roll music, marvellous! Don't expect anyone to agree with me but thought I'd throw me penny's worth in!:|

Great topic, there are some voices who may not be the most technically brilliant but are incredible all the same. I'll go for a list of some of my favourites from over the years and some more recent ones, some of which have probably already been mentioned.

Bjork, Johnny Cash, Camille [Dalmais], Ben Gibbard (Death Cab.. and The Postal Service), Jeff Buckley, Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes), Nick Drake, Jón Birgisson (Sigur Ros), Sufjan Stevens and I think I could go on. Those stand out at this moment.

Youtube it mate. I wanna hear.

Ok, yes er well erm..my isp wont let me upload any more till l pay my bill, and besides l've got something wrong with my voice at the moment, its that thing that all good singers get from time to time.........maybe some other time

• 9 years later...