You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Voice of all time

Nick Leeson

I love Lee Mavers singing voice, it may not be the best ever but it was absolutely perfect for The La's and their tunes and always sounds incredible.

As for a speaking voice you can't really beat Kelsey Grammer. Both Frasier Crane and Sideshow Bob rule hard.

For pure gravel a nice bit of Kurt Cobain never goes amiss. This one being a fine example:

YouTube - Nirvana- Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Live)

Absolutely. Incredible the way he build the lyrics and is almost shouting the following line whilst keeping complete vocal control

"My Girl, MY GIRL, don't lie to me"

and

"I would Shivvvvveer the whole, night through"

Impossible to pick just one for me. The fact that we got this far without a mention of Edith Piaf or Jussi Björling will always be a shame to the GF.

I like good opera and could give a list of fantastic voices. I'll just give a mention to the latest discovery I made, the amazing soprano Anna Netrebko. I stumbled across her as Susanna in Le Nozze di Figaro, and she totally blew me away. Fantastic singer, and great stage presence to boot. A true star.

This is inevitably a very subjective topic, but these are some of my favourites:

Curtis Mayfield, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan, Marvin Gaye, Vicky Anderson, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Mary J Blige, Bill Withers, Barry White, Paul Weller.

My favourite voice and possibly the best rock voice out there today is Myles Kennedy

and according to wikipedia: possesses a 4-octave vocal range, with his longest held on note timed at 22 seconds (in Mayfield Four's "Summergirl". His longest note streak with one breath is 31 seconds in Alter Bridge's "Blackbird")

Jim Morrison? come on!

I mean the man was a lyrical genius but vocally he wasn't below average at best? I wasn't really asking for people to tell me what music they like, in fact i'd prefer to hear of songs you don't like or types you don't like but where you were honestly just impressed, if not overwhelmed by the power of their voices and their ability to use them.

Jim was a great singer, sounds really intense on songs like the End and When the music's over and when on form could do a fantastic live performance with all the screams and howls as well as the melodic singing, the only time he sounded out of tune was when he was way gone, also if you listen to L.A Woman what a stark contrast to the first album which shows he could sing in a bluesy tone as well

l know he's a knob and a manc, but Mick Hucknalls got a good singing voice.

You should hear me sing YNWA as well.......you'd be amazed.

*hovers over neg button . . . . *

Oh sod it, sorry I couldnt resist.

EDIT: Oh bollocks just repped you instead. You got away this time boy, this time.