You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Are we now using fractions to rate our film choices?

There are two long established rating systems for movies: four stars (ie marks out of four) and five stars.

The four star rating, which I elect to use, has been used by the likes of Roger Ebert, Gene Siskel, Leonard Maltin, and Sight and Sound. Whereas the five star system is used by the Times, the Guardian, Total Film, Empire etc.

If it was my choice I would be using asterisks rather than cardinal numbers, so ***½ instead of 3.5/4, but simply using one of two agreed industry standards at all seems to confuse some of the tiny minds around here, I wouldn't want to cause them any more consternation.

12 minutes ago, Strontium said:

There are two long established rating systems for movies: four stars (ie marks out of four) and five stars.

The four star rating, which I elect to use, has been used by the likes of Roger Ebert, Gene Siskel, Leonard Maltin, and Sight and Sound. Whereas the five star system is used by the Times, the Guardian, Total Film, Empire etc.

If it was my choice I would be using asterisks rather than cardinal numbers, so ***½ instead of 3.5/4, but simply using one of two agreed industry standards at all seems to confuse some of the tiny minds around here, I wouldn't want to cause them any more consternation.

Also, if you said a film was **** we'd assume you weren't impressed.

Munich, The Edge of War.

An absorbing film which gives an interesting slant on the build up to WW2 and the meeting between Chamberlain and Hitler, the signing  the Munich agreement and Chamberlains  reasons for it, with Jeremy Irons giving a convincing performance as Neville Chamberlain.

It's on Netflix and well worth a watch if WW2 interests you.

6.5/10.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

This is the GF and its a straight out of 10 system. Having to convert it is a pain and just awkward. It aso eliminates the .5 rating. Rules are rules.

Nightmare Alley

Guillermo Del Toro's latest and right up his, er.. alley: Pulpy, washed-out southern noire so carnivalesque I kept expecting Tom Waits to feature in it. He didn't. But everyone who did absolutely carried the story's dream-like menace throughout. A proper film that rewards just losing yourself in it's universe. A dark tale, but a feast for all the senses.

8.76/10

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, cochyn said:

Nightmare Alley

Guillermo Del Toro's latest and right up his, er.. alley: Pulpy, washed-out southern noire so carnivalesque I kept expecting Tom Waits to feature in it. He didn't. But everyone who did absolutely carried the story's dream-like menace throughout. A proper film that rewards just losing yourself in it's universe. A dark tale, but a feast for all the senses.

8.76/10

Great score You funny awkward twat.

9 hours ago, cochyn said:

Nightmare Alley

8.76/10

This, I said the same a page or two back. It's one of those films that makes you appreciate the art of filmmaking.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Munich, The Edge of War.

An absorbing film which gives an interesting slant on the build up to WW2 and the meeting between Chamberlain and Hitler, the signing  the Munich agreement and Chamberlains  reasons for it, with Jeremy Irons giving a convincing performance as Neville Chamberlain.

It's on Netflix and well worth a watch if WW2 interests you.

6.5/10.

Got that lined up for the week end

On 02/02/2022 at 10:50, Strontium said:

Worra cock.

On 09/01/2022 at 03:26, Mook said:

Casablanca. Never seen this before and fully expected not to enjoy it, I was wrong. Great story with plenty of wit thrown in. 8.5/10.

Great movie.

Almost all of the supporting cast was a refugee or immigrant of one sort of another, including some who fled the Nazis.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/heres-looking-casablancas-refugee-story-75-years/

• Upvote 1

Nightmare Alley

Beautiful looking noir thriller with an A list cast headed by Bradley Cooper and Rooney Mara.

A tantalising story about grift and greed, everything is there but the end result falls well short of the sum of it's parts.

At 2 and a half hours it's a good 45 minutes too long. I expect a load of Oscar nods but the film just isn't all that. At all.

6.5/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

Dune.

Really enjoyed it, stunning visuals and didnt go too heavy on the jargon. Will definetely watch again and Part 2 needs to get done cos well the ending was less of an ending and more of what the fuck you cant just stop there. Think Fellowship but less endy.

8.9 out of 1011. Good score, strongly recommend.

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2022 at 08:42, DalyanPete said:

That's made me want to watch this again 

Might have a comedy film week. This, blazing saddles, high anxiety.

I'd add The Jerk to this list.