You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I still wasted money on shite but i do sometimes,probably more nostalgia thsn anything else. Miss going down the shop to rent a film. Maybe the effort and having to choose made it more of a event.

Its the same with the round ball game. Seeing the 3pm stuff online. I sometimes miss being a kid and just having 5 live on

Nah, not having that, on demand stuff is great.

Personally though I just loathe the sheer overkill of all these superhero flicks. These and Star Wars and Star Trek just bore me rigid.

Otherwise, it's been a pretty barren year at the pictures imo.

Not saying on demand isnt good, especially useful in my line of work. I just think its sometimes to easy to get content. That you can hust go this is shit 10 mins in a change it instead of sticking with something. As i said i think it was more the event of going to pick a film,grab the stuff to go with it snd watch it at home.

The late charges are not missed mind

Amazon Prime reminds me of the video shop, one good film and 100 others called 'Star Force'. Loved the place though.

Yeah, it'd be like "this one's got a cool picture on the case, it has to be good". Wrong.

That's another thing, when video shops first started opening up, you'd rent a film out in the original case. After a while they started doing photocopies or just a generic case. Probably too many of the originals getting smashed to bits by dickheads.

7 psychopaths (yes so I'm 5 years behind)

Hilarious, really enjoyed it. A nice balance of tongue in cheek and tension to just about keep you from dismissing the whole thing as totally ridiculous. Allowed ourselves to go with it and loved it. Walken is just as you'd expect from Walken, Harlesson was pretty good, Farrell, hmmm, yeah ok, but Rockwell steals the show. Superb performance, cracked me up.

8/10

• Upvote 2

Went on a little walk yesterday as it was a lovely evening and just as I got to the top of the hill I started seeing all these vans and trailers and cars in the field...it looked like a mini Glastonbury.

Walked past them to a very old farmhouse which was surrounded by a film crew and cameras and lights all over the place...just carried on going as nobody seemed to mind and bumped into a guy who looked very familiar....said hello and he said hello back and walked out of the mess homeward bound.

This morning I googled film shoots in the local area and it turns out that it's Christopher Nolan's filming for his new Dunkirk film and I'm pretty sure I bumped into the great man himself

• Upvote 2

Went on a little walk yesterday as it was a lovely evening and just as I got to the top of the hill I started seeing all these vans and trailers and cars in the field...it looked like a mini Glastonbury.

Walked past them to a very old farmhouse which was surrounded by a film crew and cameras and lights all over the place...just carried on going as nobody seemed to mind and bumped into a guy who looked very familiar....said hello and he said hello back and walked out of the mess homeward bound.

This morning I googled film shoots in the local area and it turns out that it's Christopher Nolan's filming for his new Dunkirk film and I'm pretty sure I bumped into the great man himself

You live in France?

They shot some stuff in Germanay too

I'm a bit bored with those action based,US and British rose tinted WW2 films,they've been done to death.The Russian,German,Eastern Europe ones do seem to give their versions a more brutal and emotionless edge to them that I think is better. I do enjoy the espionage and political stuff based on WW2 particularly. Liked Valkyrie and its ilk too.

I'm a bit bored with those action based,US and British rose tinted WW2 films,they've been done to death.The Russian,German,Eastern Europe ones do seem to give their versions a more brutal and emotionless edge to them that I think is better. I do enjoy the espionage and political stuff based on WW2 particularly. Liked Valkyrie and its ilk too.

Same in literature as well.

The likes of Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger is far more brutal and has none of the romanticism that seems to be prevalent in most of the British accounts of WW1.

I have reservations towards war movies in general, even those that I like (Thin Red Line, Apocalypse). Egoyan found an incredibly clever way to do it in "Ararat".

I reckon that Nolan movie won't be a war movie though. Just use it as a backdrop for something else.

Made me think about the film APEX http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109144/which I rented from Global Video on longmoor lane years ago on the basis of it's VHS cover

A.p.e.x._poster.jpg

Excellent. 

I'll raise you this gem, one of my favourite shit films as a kid and the first time I heard Germans referred to as krauts.

Zone_Troopers-878111373-large.jpg

7 psychopaths (yes so I'm 5 years behind)

Hilarious, really enjoyed it. A nice balance of tongue in cheek and tension to just about keep you from dismissing the whole thing as totally ridiculous. Allowed ourselves to go with it and loved it. Walken is just as you'd expect from Walken, Harlesson was pretty good, Farrell, hmmm, yeah ok, but Rockwell steals the show. Superb performance, cracked me up.

8/10

Sam Rockwell defo one of my favourite actors. You seen Moon or Choke mate ?