You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early Mike Tyson

Gav

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

He’s not the greatest ever but if someone said who would be the last person you’d want to share a round with it would be young Mike Tyson. I’d rather get in with a polar bear. 

He's one proper scary guy. If I spilt his pint, I'd buy the pub.

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

He may not have ended up being as great as he should have been due to all the shite surrounding him but there was never anyone before him or has been anyone after him IMO who i wanted to watch more and who carried the aura and intrigue he did.

Not even AJ ?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mook said:

Just watching this & I hadn't realised Barbara Streisand was one of the boxing greats...

To be fair Larry was given 6 weeks to prepare for a fight against Tyson. When Don King offered him the fight with 6 weeks notice he laughed and said Tyson would murder him when King told him the purse his response changed to " where's Tyson I'll kill him"

Boxing's biggest hype train, all aura and marketing. Nowhere near the top 5 greatest heavyweights and that's before you factor in his rape, domestic abuse, mugging grannies and rampant misogyny. An absolute cunt of the highest order that deserves no respect. Fuck him. 

29 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Boxing's biggest hype train, all aura and marketing. Nowhere near the top 5 greatest heavyweights and that's before you factor in his rape, domestic abuse, mugging grannies and rampant misogyny. An absolute cunt of the highest order that deserves no respect. Fuck him. 

You are probably speaking of a few world champs there mate.

59 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

No

Maradona actually was the best in the world, during a great era and wasn't mentally weak on the field. He was probably the best player in the world for 5/6 years. 

To be fair, The Ring had Tyson as P4P #1 for a bit in the late 80s.

He was incredibly badly handled - and all the leeches and hangers on.

Had he been able to get free himself of all that shite and had Cus been around longer things may well have played out very differently in his life and his career.

I feel those who talk down how good he was don't take into account how much the shite around him did for him - of course a lot of that is his own fault for allowing it but by same token he was just unprepared for it all and probably had no idea how to go about sorting it - times were very different then too and there had never been a circus quite like the one that surrounded him before - the shite who surrounded him/he surrounded himself with destroyed his career.

He'd have been an all time great without it all IMO and if he'd have been guided/handled better.

The build up to the Douglas fight is a damning indicment on how he was living and how the shite around him just allowed it/enabled it.

4 hours ago, an tha said:

He was incredibly badly handled - and all the leeches and hangers on.

Had he been able to get free himself of all that shite and had Cus been around longer things may well have played out very differently in his life and his career.

I feel those who talk down how good he was don't take into account how much the shite around him did for him - of course a lot of that is his own fault for allowing it but by same token he was just unprepared for it all and probably had no idea how to go about sorting it - times were very different then too and there had never been a circus quite like the one that surrounded him before - the shite who surrounded him/he surrounded himself with destroyed his career.

He'd have been an all time great without it all IMO and if he'd have been guided/handled better.

The build up to the Douglas fight is a damning indicment on how he was living and how the shite around him just allowed it/enabled it.

Yep his boxing career was a perfect Hollywood movie. 

People always bring Cus up. It's partly Cus fault he did act a prick. Cus was so desperate for one more champ he overlooked anything Tyson did wrong. He threw Teddy Atlas out of camp for threatening Tyson for what Atlas called something Sexually inappropriate with his nice. He let Tyson get away with anything and paid people off so long as Tyson won. Tyson has said he had him hypnotised that he couldn't lose of feel pain. 

I'm not sure why people are surprised that men who have a career trying to kill each other with their fists are not exactly model citizens! Not to mention a lot of their upbringings which are often poor while also often being riddled with crime and domestic abuse towards them or between their guardians. If you want whiter than white then Boxing is not a sport where you'll find it too much.

• Like 1