You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

4 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Not so sure about the penalty spot - wasn't it Kelly who whacked in the winning spotkick the other day? Peter Lorimer would have been proud of that power. Goal size, yes.

Apparently Kelly's penalty was measured as faster than the fastest-travelling goal in last season's Premier League (Said Benrahma, twatting one in against Palace, I think).

23 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Apparently Kelly's penalty was measured as faster than the fastest-travelling goal in last season's Premier League (Said Benrahma, twatting one in against Palace, I think).

Absolutely no chance.

I’m all for the development of the women’s game and profile of women’s football, but there is so much hyperbole and shite about what’s being played out at their tournaments, that it detracts from the actual progress being made.

If I’m wrong I apologise, but I doubt I am. To even think that penalty was a stronger shot than the fastest travelling PL goal from last season is just beyond sense. What’s the metric for it? MPH as it leaves the foot? Time from leaving foot to the goal? It’s just not happening. 

Like Claressa Shields thinking she could beat Keith Thurman. It’s madness, but there’s people arguing that it’s feasible because that’s the side of the fence they dig their argument heels into. It’s like the old “my dad is harder than your dad” shite from kids. She’d get sparked by Jake Paul as well. Be funny if he did that fight as it wouldn’t even be close.

On 17/08/2023 at 17:20, Curly said:

Absolutely no chance.

I’m all for the development of the women’s game and profile of women’s football, but there is so much hyperbole and shite about what’s being played out at their tournaments, that it detracts from the actual progress being made.

If I’m wrong I apologise, but I doubt I am. To even think that penalty was a stronger shot than the fastest travelling PL goal from last season is just beyond sense. What’s the metric for it? MPH as it leaves the foot? Time from leaving foot to the goal? It’s just not happening. 

Like Claressa Shields thinking she could beat Keith Thurman. It’s madness, but there’s people arguing that it’s feasible because that’s the side of the fence they dig their argument heels into. It’s like the old “my dad is harder than your dad” shite from kids. She’d get sparked by Jake Paul as well. Be funny if he did that fight as it wouldn’t even be close.

69mph from Kelly vs 66mph Benrahama, apparently.

I looked at Benrahama's goal and the ball is moving forward in open play when he hits it, meaning he will not get the extra force of it coming onto his foot. Kelly hit a deadball, so she never got that bonus either, however she was also not handicapped by the ball moving away from her. She also had more of a run up and was not in the motion of running forward with it like he was.

Either way, a cracking penalty from Kelly.

38 minutes ago, Chris said:

There's no way I'd be bringing that Chelsea dickhead back for the final, star player or not. Let Toone keep her place, she did well against the Aussies and deserves it. 

It's funny - I can get behind the England women (!) yet despise the men's team (even more so its supporters). If the England women win I'll be happy for them; if they lose it will be a little bit "meh".

19 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

69mph from Kelly vs 66mph Benrahama, apparently.

I looked at Benrahama's goal and the ball is moving forward in open play when he hits it, meaning he will not get the extra force of it coming onto his foot. Kelly hit a deadball, so she never got that bonus either, however she was also not handicapped by the ball moving away from her. She also had more of a run up and was not in the motion of running forward with it like he was.

Either way, a cracking penalty from Kelly.

Was a great pen mate. There will be kids up and down the land trying to mimic that technique this weekend

18 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

It's funny - I can get behind the England women (!) yet despise the men's team (even more so its supporters). If the England women win I'll be happy for them; if they lose it will be a little bit "meh".

I’ve been emotionally dead to international football for pretty much 20 years. The second I wasn’t a kid anymore and started to realise I needed to like the players I supported and fans I supported with, it was quickly downhill. Plus the media reporting.

Ive been apathetic towards Liverpool in growing degrees since Kenny’s seconds stint ending as well - there aren’t many games that have any emotional impact on me once the tv is off or on the rare couple of occasions each season as I leave the stadium, so the women’s game, or any other format for that matter, has got fuck all hope of endearing me to it. 

42 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I feel the same way. Helps that all the flag-shagging Brexit knob heads aren't ruining it for everyone though. And there's no need to cheer for Harry Kane either. 

Still, every time I hear "It's coming home" the struggle to stay on the support bus is very, very real.

I think that this is a wonderful little video.

I may be a total hypocrite and part of the problem because I think women's football is dreadful, but it's important that women are afforded the same opportunities as men. The women's game should always succeed or fail upon its own merit.

I was down at Headingly to watch the cricket 100 last weekend and I can say this objectively, women's cricket is of a far higher standard than women's football.

Women's football, sorry but I can't pretend it's something that it's not, the standard is crap, but the game deserves investment and encouragement, women absolutely should be allowed to participate and compete in the sport that they love.

• Upvote 2

On 17/08/2023 at 17:20, Curly said:

Absolutely no chance.

You know you could have just looked it up in half the time it took you to write this embarrassment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/11/science-chloe-kelly-penalty-england-nigeria

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think that this is a wonderful little video.

I may be a total hypocrite and part of the problem because I think women's football is dreadful, but it's important that women are afforded the same opportunities as men. The women's game should always succeed or fail upon its own merit.

I was down at Headingly to watch the cricket 100 last weekend and I can say this objectively, women's cricket is of a far higher standard than women's football.

Women's football, sorry but I can't pretend it's something that it's not, the standard is crap, but the game deserves investment and encouragement, women absolutely should be allowed to participate and compete in the sport that they love.

Completely agree. 

There's a massive falseness about the coverage also, its over the top 'over compensation'  Its embarassing agenda pushing tbh.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Completely agree. 

There's a massive falseness about the coverage also, its over the top 'over compensation'  Its embarassing agenda pushing tbh.

The only agenda it's pushing is the promotion of women's sport [which will help drive up participation and standards].

Nothing embarrassing about that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moo said:

The only agenda it's pushing is the promotion of women's sport [which will help drive up participation and standards].

Nothing embarrassing about that.

Nothing embarrassing at all about the promotion and participation bit, for sure.

It's brilliant.

But the actually football commentary, punditry and criticism is unquestionably over-hyped and facile... and therefore quite patronising and even tokenistic I think. At least, that has been my impression of the coverage down here in Australia, especially of the Matildas.

I went to the Germany/Morocco match with my son.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Nothing embarrassing at all about the promotion and participation bit, for sure.

It's brilliant.

But the actually football commentary, punditry and criticism is unquestionably over-hyped and facile... and therefore quite patronising and even tokenistic I think. At least, that has been my impression of the coverage down here in Australia, especially of the Matildas.

I went to the Germany/Morocco match with my son.

They really went over the top down here. Often by people you know haven’t got a clue. Felt sorry for the Matildas squad as all the hype was around Sam Kerr even when she was out injured.

• Like 1