You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Very nice pass through there.

Firmino-esq.

Good on the women, IMO. Far more likeable than the men’s side. No excuses, no media circus, just focussed on winning…. Something the men should take  on board. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Firmino-esq.

Good on the women, IMO. Far more likeable than the men’s side. No excuses, no media circus, just focussed on winning…. Something the men should take  on board. 

Mentality wise they are levels above.

36 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Great strike for the Aussie goal but still think the goals are too big. Don't know how tall the keepers are but anything remotely at the corners is a goal.

That and the penalty spot

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Cue 1966 wank fest.

From BBC News

Breaking ENGLAND REACH THE WORLD CUP FINAL

FT: Australia 1-3 England

For the first time since 1966 an England team is into a football World Cup final.

Has anyone mentioned the U17s won the World Cup in 2017?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Womens football is a different game, enjoy it for what it is. One thing I've noticed is the really bad aspects of men's football rapidly creeping into women's football, the time wasting, feigned injury, diving etc,  watch it while you can because soon enough it will be shit.

We’re still miles away from the cynicism of the men’s game.

It’s clear the differences between men and women in strength has a massive impact but has anyone commented on the quality of the corner taking in so many of these games compared to the men’s 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Not sure I understand what you mean but as a woman do you think it would be beneficial to the game to alter a few things?

I haven’t thought about it closely but my gut says the goal and the distance of the penalty spot to the goal should be relatively smaller

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

I haven’t thought about it closely but my gut says the goal and the distance of the penalty spot to the goal should be relatively smaller

Not so sure about the penalty spot - wasn't it Kelly who whacked in the winning spotkick the other day? Peter Lorimer would have been proud of that power. Goal size, yes.

Wouldn't change the structure of the game, goals etc at all. It would only serve to create a split in the game at youth/grass roots level that would only discourage participation. If it means one form of the game is more likely to see a higher proportion of long range goals, then the game and tactics will adapt to that. Expecting them to change the game to suit you as a viewer is no different to Americans complaining about football timekeeping. Go away and let people play the game, leave the sport alone.

That difference isn't really about quality, just a natural variation. Like women's and men's hockey (women's is better to watch imo), the flow and physicality is totally different, but both work on their own terms.

18 minutes ago, Ashberry said:

Four finals on the trot is a fantastic record for Serina Wiegman. If she is available and the men's coach position comes up I think her name will be mentioned. It would piss all the right people off no end.

Please please please make it happen