You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Women's football

Newport

I think the standard of outfield play in the women’s World Cup games I’ve seen (admittedly not many working 9-5) has been decent. However, the standard of shooting has been woeful. It’s like Neil Maupay is playing in every CF position for every team.

I didn’t think that Standard Chattered video was particularly inspiring to be honest. I did laugh at the murderous look that crossed Thiago’s face when the girl was telling him the lads had told her to go and make a sandwich. He looked ready to go all Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

They really went over the top down here. Often by people you know haven’t got a clue. Felt sorry for the Matildas squad as all the hype was around Sam Kerr even when she was out injured.

The game I went to was like families at a fairground.

It was really enjoyable but it was being treated more like an event/outing than a game.

And nothing wrong with that, of course, I'm just not sure what it was achieving for women's football in a pure, footballing sense.

Instead of trying to declare public holidays down here, for instance, the government could do with seriously investing in the girls (and boys) game and its coaching.

But of course, that's hard work and not very PR-able, so it won't happen.

12 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

The game I went to was like families at a fairground.

It was really enjoyable but it was being treated more like an event/outing than a game.

And nothing wrong with that, of course, I'm just not sure what it was achieving for women's football in a pure, footballing sense.

Instead of trying to declare public holidays down here, for instance, the government could do with seriously investing in the girls (and boys) game and its coaching.

Yeah , being new here I am still evaluating things in terms of politics. I’m afraid the gov might overlook this gift horse , the potential to grow both male and female football is there. BTW couldn’t believe the size of Bosnich.

On 18/08/2023 at 17:13, Chris said:

There's no way I'd be bringing that Chelsea dickhead back for the final, star player or not. Let Toone keep her place, she did well against the Aussies and deserves it. 

And thus it came to pass...

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

2 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I’m afraid the gov might overlook this gift horse , the potential to grow both male and female football is there.

Great posts. Although you've missed the vital detail that the Aussie government are investing $200m in women's footie following the success of this tournament. Do keep up. 

9 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Great posts. Although you've missed the vital detail that the Aussie government are investing $200m in women's footie following the success of this tournament. Do keep up. 

That has not been confirmed yet and  so forgive my cynicism. Will be announced … do keep up.

6 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

That has not been confirmed yet and  so forgive my cynicism. Will be announced … do keep up.

Pretty much has really but don't let that stop people like you trying to put a dampener on it. 

2 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Pretty much has really but don't let that stop people like you trying to put a dampener on it. 

People like me? You haven’t got a fuckin clue about me mate. One thing I’ve learned ,where governments are concerned , is many promises made are not honoured. See below courtesy The Sydney Morning Herald.

The Albanese government says it will “always look for more ways” to ensure funding for women’s sport is fit for purpose, but has stopped short of promising more money after the Matildas’ extraordinary World Cup run ended.

7 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

People like me? You haven’t got a fuckin clue about me mate. One thing I’ve learned ,where governments are concerned , is many promises made are not honoured. See below courtesy The Sydney Morning Herald.

The Albanese government says it will “always look for more ways” to ensure funding for women’s sport is fit for purpose, but has stopped short of promising more money after the Matildas’ extraordinary World Cup run ended.

We'll see then won't we.

And don't take that take that tone with me you rude cunt. 

9 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The buildup on the BBC absolutely defines the word "cringe". Fucking skin crawling. 

Can’t we all just get along